PDA

View Full Version : Micro-crystalline wax--what's it good for ?

gray wolf
08-04-2008, 07:18 PM
I got a sample of micro wax-- one pound of 140* and a pound of 160* melting points. Nice looking wax--one is soft and the other a little harder. Neither looks like it would need heat to flow. The lower heat is the softer and has a little more oil in it 3% the other has 1% oil. Can this be used for low pressure rounds under 1000 f. p. s. ? Oh it is a little tacky and it looks like it will stay in the lube rings.
I guess my ? is, does it need to be mixed with anything and if so what.

Thank you

GW.

357maximum
08-04-2008, 07:47 PM
TRY IT ,......as is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>you may be very very tickled [smilie=1:

jonk
08-04-2008, 08:27 PM
I've done 800 fps with just beeswax... with a good bullet fit no problems. So I'm sure this stuff will be fine.

waksupi
08-04-2008, 08:46 PM
Sounds like ski wax. A member on the old Aimoo board, (sorry, forget who), sent me a bunch to try out. VEry satisfactory in pistol loads. I didn't ever get much experimenting done with rifle loads. I'd have to scrounge back through my goodies to find the records. Shoot away!

4060MAY
08-04-2008, 08:55 PM
http://www.mountainmolds.com/
articles & links
experimental lubes

not sure how he got the grease to melt

870TC
08-04-2008, 10:29 PM
The only Micro-Crystalline wax I'm familiar with is something called "Renaissance Wax" (Brownells) its used similar to JPW. Great for waxing gunstocks, knife blades etc. alot of museums use it to protect historic items.

357maximum
08-04-2008, 11:02 PM
140 degree microcrystalline wax is real similar to "tackywax" used to hold wicks down for candle making...available for like $11 and ounce at the hobbycrafter stores......much mo economical to buy it in 11 pound blocks from an online dealer...personally I would go with the 160 deg stuff......I have a hunch it works well[smilie=1:

True Microcrystallines have NO/ZERO/ NOTTA solvent.........they are pure microcrystalline wax...with really long dense/complex chemical chains....very unlike the short brittle chains of the standard paraffin waxes.

floodgate
08-04-2008, 11:10 PM
Hey waksup'!

That was me sent you the ski wax. Glad it found a home and worked for you.

Floodgate

gray wolf
08-05-2008, 09:24 AM
Good info. thanks
Nice articles from mountain molds. Wow he was using a very high melt point micro wax. Like I said the wax I was sent is 140* and the other is 160*.

#1 = lower melt 140* Name= Microsere 5788A (oil content, Wt.% 3.0 )A unique , low-melt microcrytalline wax that is used in a variety of applications including; paper packaging, candles, And cheese coatings.

#2= Higher melt 160* Name = Microsere 5714A ( oil content, Wt.% 1 )
A laminating grade microcrystalline wax, it is recommended where the flexibility and barrier properties of laminating grade microcrysalline wax are required.

Uses: laminated glassine/cheese wax/ foil laminations, over wraps and frozen food packaging.

This was taken from the data sheet that came with the sample. Like I said they are a tacky kind of wax. they stick to the bullets, and are not brittle at all.
They look like they will take a color quite well.
I will try some plain and I will add some ( very little ) Jojoba oil to some.

BUT!!!! I have found that my pistol leading problem has been reduced to about none. Springfield gave me a knew barrel (one piece instead of two piece )
and it is a smoother barrel inside. Also bullets sized to .452 and not .451.
I believe that what has been said here is very true---- smooth barrel and proper fit of the bullet helps a great deal with leading. At least in my 45 a c p.
I also found the info interesting about the harder lube making a better gas seal.
I would like to here more about harder lubes and better gas sealing.
I will try to add more about the micro wax as I try it out.

Thanks

GW.

Gussy
08-05-2008, 11:09 AM
It is what the factories use on .22 rimfire. Should work good at lower vel.

BABore
08-05-2008, 12:46 PM
Micro Wax will also dissolve in mineral spirits. It takes awhile though. Melting the wax and adding the MS's works mo betta. Makes a fine dip lube and is more accurate in LV pistol loads than Lee snot. Still have to apply a dusting of motor mica to prevent the stickies.

gray wolf
08-05-2008, 03:23 PM
OK so I guess from what you guy's are saying it sounds like there should be no problem with this wax in low Vel. pistol loads. I don't plan on using it for a dip wax so I guess I don't need the mineral spirits or the dusting of the white powder mica.

GW.

357maximum
08-05-2008, 05:15 PM
OK so I guess from what you guy's are saying it sounds like there should be no problem with this wax in low Vel. pistol loads. I don't plan on using it for a dip wax so I guess I don't need the mineral spirits or the dusting of the white powder mica.

GW.

add some solid candle dye from YALEY, make it pretty....then shoot it...you will not be dissapoineted for peestols in their normal ranges.