PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358009, Lee Custom?????

Lawyerman
11-16-2005, 09:48 AM
I have been reading Paco Kellys articles on the various .35 caliber rifles and have bought several as a result. I am convinced that I "need" a Lyman 358009 mould. This mould has been out of production for many years and the only ones I have found on Ebay etc...are VERY pricey. They usually end up around $100 or more.

I was wondering if a custom mould could be done by Lee? It shouldn't cost as much, would be brand new and it could be a two cavity so lot's of advantages. The only thing I wonder about is if it's something they would do. I don't know if there are any patent issues involved etc....If they would do it I would just find someone with a mould, have them send me a cast slug and send that to Lee as an exemplar. Anyone know if this would be possible? Anyone interested other than me?

Willbird
11-16-2005, 10:07 AM
If you read some of the threads on this board (group buys) you will see that we have had Lyman mold numbers produced by LEE, albiet with a tune up or two to the design (better lube grooves, etc.)

Bill

Lawyerman
11-16-2005, 10:22 AM
I did a search on this mould and I am not the only one here that has some interest! It got at least 3 mentions in the "wish Lyman would make" thread. I am suprised that noone has done this already! I saw that there is alot of interest in .35 cal bullets of several different designs in my search as well. I came to the right place!

On particulars- I would guess this would be a two cavity only design due to size and bullet weight? That's still TWICE as many cavities as an original! If Lee would do it, it sure beats the $100 they want for one these days. Anyone else interested? We need 24 more to avoid the setup fee.

waksupi
11-16-2005, 11:17 AM
Actually, the Bator Heavy is a kissing cousin to the 358009. This was produced in a six cavity mold, through a group buy a few years ago. It does shoot good, but is needlessly heavy, in my experience. It seems I saw a mention on one of the threads about having David Mos do a run of this type of design.

sundog
11-16-2005, 11:29 AM
Lawyerman, several of us had some made up several years back. David Mos did them, and they are indeed works of art. If memory serves me we got 3 or 4 SC and 3 or 4 DC. Last year (maybe 2 years ago), David handed 2 more DC moulds that were respectively .001 and .002 undersize from what we originally spec'd at .360. Those were 'gifted' to a couple esteemed members here (talk about a couple lucky fellers). I saved a few dozen boolits from each just for grins - onliest way to tell them from the full sized big brother is a caliper. When I honchoed this project I did NOT even have a rifle capable of this boolit - but times change and I have a nice 14 twist custom bbl (Shilen) 700 that will hold MOA out to 200 yards (haven't shot further with it yet).

Of course, those that were made were spoke for. At that time we only had 6 or 8 takers. They were pricey, also, but were David's high quality iron blocks, not aluminium, not that's there's anything wrong with aluminium.... This is an extremely fine design but because of it's size can lead to OAL and chambering problems in some firearms. Better to be sure you can accomodate it before you get to far.

http://www.castpics.net/RandD/3589I/3589I.htm

sundog

Lawyerman
11-16-2005, 11:36 AM
My Whelens are Remingtons, a CDL and a .35 Remington 760 that someone converted over to Whelen many years ago. I dunno if they would have problems in chambering this bullet or not truth be told. I have several .358's, a BLR, Savage 99 and a Remington 600 that was rebarreled. Surely out of those 5 guns I have a couple that will handle this bullet!?

I had decided that I wanted one but really didn't want to pay $100 plus to try one, especially now that you have raised the possibility that they might not function in my guns. It seems like there are alot of folks with interest in this mould and I was just thinking it would be a good way to make it available for "everyman" and not just deep pocket Ebay bidders! As an alternative what did the Mos moulds run?

Waksupi, I am not familiar with Bator. I assume they are a custom maker? What did your mould run you?

Bret4207
11-16-2005, 12:16 PM
Lawyerman- I betcha if you asked real nice there are 2 or 3 somebodys here who would send you some samples to try before yoou spend the bucks for a custom mould. Also- NEI has some real nice heavy 35's. Check their on line catalog.

stocker
11-16-2005, 12:22 PM
lawyerman: P.M. me with your mail address and name and I'll send you some 358009's from a Lyman 2 cavity mold to try out. These weigh about 287 with lube and check attached.

stocker

Lawyerman
11-16-2005, 12:54 PM
Thanks Stocker, see your PM's.

TPR Bret-
Yea, I have looked at the NEI stuff. I had kinda settled on the #168, here: http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog.html

A good looking bullet to me. I think last time I looked it was going to run $125 or so. Not bad but certainly not any cheaper than just bidding until I get an 009 really. I just thought it would be great if guys could buy this mould for $35+- to try.

grumble
11-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Lawyerman, I can't speak to the 358009 design, but I know the Bator Heavy was about 1.1" long, the max (actually a bit over max) for the Lee 6-holers. It is too long for the 2 holers. I'm pretty sure that if you want a Lee custom run for these boolits, you'll be stuck with either a single cavity or a six cavity due to the length of the boolit.

Here's the Bator Heavy:
http://www.gilanet.com/tundraj/C358-260-RF%20BATOR%2012-03-02.jpg

Lawyerman
11-16-2005, 01:17 PM
Well, it was a good idea anyway.

This may sound stupid but who makes the Bator bullet moulds? I have never heard of them before this.

Course the Bator doesn't get me but 15 grains more than my Saeco 352 so maybe not much point there.

grumble
11-16-2005, 01:36 PM
Well, it was a good idea anyway.

This may sound stupid but who makes the Bator bullet moulds? I have never heard of them before this.

Course the Bator doesn't get me but 15 grains more than my Saeco 352 so maybe not much point there.

Wally Bator was (is?) a member of this rag-tag outfit. He designed 20-30 boolits for us, of which we made custom mold orders to Lee for about 6-8 of them. He's not a mold maker, but a pretty good boolit designer.

Beerd
11-16-2005, 03:29 PM
I'll bet Mountain Moulds could make up what you want at about half the cost of a NEI.

Catshooter
11-18-2005, 10:19 PM
Lawyerman,

What Beerd said. Go to Mountain Moulds. Unless you want to honcho up a group buy for your 009 here, but you'd have to modify it to 1" OAL to do the Lee thing.

The 6 cylinder Lees are much better than the 2 holers.

By the way, welcom to the site!

Cat

Catshooter
11-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Lawyerman,

Go to the Special Projects forum and look at the MRF Pictures thread.

What ya had in mind?

Cat

45 2.1
11-18-2005, 11:00 PM
Would anyone be interested in Beagles creation in a six banger?

Dutch4122
11-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Would anyone be interested in Beagles creation in a six banger?

What's it look like?

Lawyerman
11-21-2005, 11:18 AM
Beagle's mould looks great but I am NO WAY qualified to do something like that! As Dirty Harry says, " A mans go to know his limitations! " If you had to pay a machininst to do something like that I shudder to think what it would cost. A beautiful mould no doubt.

I was just looking for a proven, heavy .358 bullet for use in several guns. I had read enough Paco Kelly to become enamored of the design and it ticks me off that it costs twice what it should! I was hoping that it could be done and that there would be enough interest to make it happen for everyone.

AnthonyB
11-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Despite Lee's less than exemplary performance on the BD45CM, I'd be willing to honcho a 358009-like deal if the majority can be persuaded to include a crimpo groove at the proper location for my Big Bore 356 Winchester. Tony

45 2.1
11-21-2005, 01:12 PM
I would draw beagles mold (MFH) up as a lighter than 358009 (282 gr.) design at about 225 to 235 gr., whatever is about max to fit the 35 rem. You don't need heavy bullets for most of the 35s.

waksupi
11-21-2005, 09:07 PM
I'd be real interested in one coming in around 235gr. , with enough of a tapered ogive to work in my .35 Rem. autoloader.

Dutch4122
11-21-2005, 11:56 PM
if the majority can be persuaded to include a crimpo groove at the proper location for my Big Bore 356 Winchester. Tony

I'd be in with ya for sure. Been looking for a medium weight boolit for my .356 Winchester as well. Have to drop kinda fat though, say .361" or maybe even .362" as mine slugs .3595."

jhalcott
11-24-2005, 08:14 PM
There are several 250 grain .35 molds around and I also am interested in an affordable 358009 style bullet for a whelen and a 358JDJ

Cayoot
11-25-2005, 03:23 PM
I'm shooting a lever action Marlin in .35 Remington. I'd like to do a cast boolit like this design, but I have heard that the micro-groove rifling on the older Marlin rifles (Mine is from the very early 1970's) does not do well at all with cast boolits.

Does anybody have any experience with this?

sundog
11-25-2005, 03:56 PM
Cayoot, in fact just the opposite. My 336CS, MG bbl, in 35 Rem, spits out the RCBS 200 grainers with fine accuracy. For grins, I have a Red Dot on it, and at 50 yards you put the dot on a beer can, pull the trigger, and it disappears. Everytime. 30.0/3031 for 2000 fps. Works so well that I've never even tried another boolit in it. Previous owner complained that it kicked too much. I cleaned the copper from the barrel, trimmed down the comb on the stock (which is what the real kicking problem was) and never looked back. sundog

Cayoot
11-25-2005, 08:55 PM
Thanks Sundog!

Well, I figgure I can always hitch hike to work! I'd rather spend what little money I have left on another mold than gas for the car.

Reckon you can count me in on this one too! [smilie=w:

3584ELK
12-18-2005, 11:50 PM
Please add me to the list, and keep me updated as to where, when to send funds.

The RCBS 204 grainer isn't long enough to reach past my freebored .358NM into land and groove territory.

Thanks!

Bullshop
12-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Please add me to the list, and keep me updated as to where, when to send funds.

The RCBS 204 grainer isn't long enough to reach past my freebored .358NM into land and groove territory.

Thanks!
3584ELK
Not realy following this but only saw your post. Thought about the Lyman (#?) for the 357 max. In WW it goes about 220gn. Its a SWC design with GC but it gives a bit more reach to lands having two crimp grooves. Works good for me.
BIC/BS

3584ELK
12-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Thanks for the advice, but I have a .358 Norma Magnum with a .375" freebored throat, which works great for big jacketed bulets since I have the magazine length that allows me to employ the greater OAL. I figure something LONG will make a difference in this particular gun.