PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Snow - Thoughts and prayers appreciated

Bret4207
08-04-2008, 12:27 PM
For those so inclined, a kind thought or prayer for the surviving family of Tpr. Shawn Snow, NYSP CVEU, would be appreciated. We lost Shawn yesterday afternoon when he was helping a guy with a disabled antique fire truck. The driver hit some high voltage lines with the ladder in an attempt to take weight off the side of the truck Shawn was jacking. Both were electrocuted. Responding Homeland Security personel (this was at a US Port of Entry) fortunately saw the ladder on the line and so we didn't end up with a larger number of dead. There was nothing to be done till the power company could shut down the line. Obviously this has hit the guys at the Port and the rest of us pretty hard.

Shawn left behind his parents, his wife, 2 sons, 2 step children and a couple grandkids. He had 19 years on and was less than a year from retirement. He was the most laid back, nicest guy you'd ever hope to meet. Why it was his time I can't say, but it just doesn't seem right.

scrapcan
08-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Bret,

Hope you take the time to attend for the rest of us.

MT Gianni
08-04-2008, 02:48 PM
Tough duty. I hope all go well with the survivors. Electricity is not forgiving at all. Prayers sent out. Gianni

sundog
08-04-2008, 03:04 PM
Condolences to the immediately family and your brotherhood, Brett. I lost any uncle to lightening years ago, struck dead, and my cousin was burned but survived. I lost my Comm Chief in a third world country during a deployment, by accidental electrocution. No matter how they go, it ain't ever easy.

Red River Rick
08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
Thoughts and prayers to the family. Tpr. Snow was just helping out. The firetruck belongs to the Canadian Fallen Firefighters Foundation and was in Sryacuse attending a parade: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080804/world/flat_tire_electrocution_1

RRR

45nut
08-04-2008, 04:09 PM
It seems near impossible to come up with an appropriate choice of words in these circumstances.
Regular joe helping out because someone needed help, I wouldn't think he was helping because he was a trooper, but because it was the right thing to do.

He was simply doing the right thing in the wrong place at that moment, he will be remembered for doing the right thing. RIP

Bass Ackward
08-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Never seems to be the right thing to say in cases like this.

Peace of the Lord to his family.

RugerFan
08-04-2008, 10:49 PM
My wife & I were just reading the story online. Such a tragedy. Prayers enroute.

Bret4207
08-05-2008, 06:02 AM
Thanks to all of you. Dan and I will cetainly be there. Shawn was one of our little group of 4 DOT Troopers in the Canton/Ogdensburg area. This is just plain hard to deal with.

http://www.watertowndailytimes.com/article/20080805/NEWS05/555684639/Veteran+trooper+recalled+fondly

08-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Bret,
This has been on my mind and in my prayers. I'm retired LEO and was on the north end of Lake Ontario when the news came over. No words help at a time like this. But we do have a large band of brothers that share the grief.

runfiveswife
08-05-2008, 08:05 PM
please tell him that our thoughts are with his family and our prayers.

twotrees
08-05-2008, 08:26 PM
Prayers for his family and for all of you that are close to him.

When you do the right thing it is rewarded, maybe not in this life but in the next.

RedFoxy and TwoTrees

tom barthel
08-06-2008, 11:48 PM
To go out doing good for the sake of doing good. Little did he know he would be laying down his life. Take comfort in the verse that speaks greater love hath no man. God knows.

Ranch Dog
08-07-2008, 01:02 AM
Prayers offered...

Bret4207
08-07-2008, 05:02 PM
Shawn was buried today. There were cops from as far away as California and Texas there. Our Superintendent and the Sr. Staff attended along with hundreds of other police/corrections/Homeland Security/Fire personnel. Quite moving, very nice overall. I did note our Gov. failed to attend unlike Gov Pataki who ALWAYS attended any event the Troops were associated with. I didn't agree with his spending, but he is a nice guy.

I think losing Shawn is going to be the pivot point on a few things. I hope I can make a difference and affect the outcome in a couple areas I'm working on. Whats the worst that can happen if I piss them off? I'm ready to retire anyway!

Thanks again for all the kind thoughts and prayers.

I also spoke to BRshooters good friend. His family sends their thanks for the flowers and card and the many kind condolences offered.

08-07-2008, 11:57 PM
Sad and it speaks volumes that the Governor couldn't see his way to attend such an important service for one of the States own. Seems only some of us understand loyality, respect, & honor.

robertbank
08-09-2008, 10:50 PM
There is a special place in heaven for those who pass while helping others. Our family prayers go out to the family.

Take Care

Bob

9.3X62AL
08-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Requiescat in pacem, frater.

PatMarlin
08-17-2008, 05:52 PM
What a tragic loss. Words just cannot express it Brett. Be careful out there.