PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 1894 front sight base loose

longbow
08-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Has anyone else had trouble keeping their front sight base tight?

I have a Marlin 1894 in .44 mag and I have had chronic problems with the front sight base coming loose.

It finally came right off and it looks like the threads have about given up. There isn't much thread engagement and it looks like the threads have distorted. The screws used to snug down solid but this time I can feel that there just isn't enough thread left.

I don't think there is enough depth to use longer screws due to thin barrel.

I live in a small area with no gunsmith within about 3 hours so I can't easily get this repaired by drilling and tapping to the next size. I'm thinking of soldering the site base in place and using the screws to clamp it down. If I remove blueing from the underside of the sight base, top of barrel and screws then tin it all and clamp together it should be solid.

Any advice or suggestions for alternate fixes?

Has anyone else had this problem and if so what did you do?

Thanks,
Longbow

Doc Highwall
08-04-2008, 11:39 AM
If you are willing to tin solder it that takes heat, I would first look at using a permanent type of Loc-Tite. The way of breaking the joint on Loc-Tite is to heat them up and as soon as the Loc-Tite turns to liquid you turn the screw and it is free. The reason I mention this it you can Loc-Tite the screws in place with out affecting the blueing or the heat treat of the barrel and will probably look better.

Scrounger
08-04-2008, 01:09 PM
You will find that ALL the screws on Marlins have a tendency to come loose. If you LocTite them, be sure to use the Blue LocTite, not the Red, Purple, or Black. Are those sight screws 6-48s, I don't remember. Anyway, Brownells sells "oversize" 6-48 screws that will probably help you. If they are too long, they also sell a little gadget to hold screws so you can shorten them on a grinder or whetstone.

45 2.1
08-04-2008, 01:16 PM
Superglue.......................................

longbow
08-04-2008, 07:36 PM
I think they are 6-48's but I'll have to check to be sure.

I may try the Brownells route first since I think there is some un-used so undamaged thread left but there wasn't much engagement before so I doubt there is enough thread left even for longer screws. I'll get a magnifier and check it out.

They haven't stripped so much as been pulled out during recoil.

They used to tighten down firm and I suppose I should have Loctited when they would still tighten. Now the threads are sort of swaged from the pounding during recoil so I can't even tighten properly. That's why I was thinking of solder. I may give the Loctite a try too with longer screws if there is enough thread ~ if it works great and if it doesn't what's the worst that could happen, my sight comes off again.

If all else fails I'll try solder. I've soldered rifle sights to a shotgun barrel for slug use with no damage to the bluing so figured I would get a way with it here too. If the screws will hold the base down durng the soldering it certainly won't come off again.

Thanks for the ideas.

Longbow

timkelley
08-04-2008, 08:31 PM
JB Weld.

Cracker
08-08-2008, 05:55 PM
Had a similar problem with my 1894CP.

I was driving the dovetail F/sight out and the whole shooting match popped off. There was only about 3/4 thread on each screw holding it down to the barrel.

I went digging thru my dull drill bit drawer and found a bit the same bore diameter as the screw(head) hole in the base, then ground the fluted end flat and resharpened, PRESTO: bottoming bit. I then just deepened the holes to allow more thread engagement and used clear nail polish on the thread to hold them in place.

HTH

Junior1942
08-08-2008, 07:30 PM
JB Weld.Yep, J&B Weld. De-oil the top of the barrel and the bottom of the base. Use a hacksaw or a Dremel tool and cut some small gashes on the top of the barrel and in the bottom of the base. That gives the J&B a place to bite. Smear a thin coat of J&B on both parts and get a little in the stripped hole. Tighten the screw. In 24 hours you have a permanent fix.

longbow
08-08-2008, 08:18 PM
Lots of good ideas here. That's what I like about this place!

I am going to get a magnifying glass so I can see if there is enough good thread left to use either longer screws or modify the site base per Cracker's suggestion. That would be first choice I guess but I don't think I have enough thread. If so then Loctite too.

Next option looks like JB weld.

I better get busy and try to fix it this weekend.

Thanks,
Longbow

longbow
08-10-2008, 07:32 PM
Okay then, I soldered it!

I checked the threads they were pretty much stripped. One had a little left the other was gone. Oddly the screws were still okay, it was the barrel threads that stripped. So longer screws or modified base were out.

Then I thought I might go the epoxy/JB weld route but it occurred to me that if I ever have to remove the forearm or magazine I will have to take the site off. I figured it is easier to heat it to melt the solder then resolder than redoing epoxy. I would probably have to heat to remove anyway then clean it all up to re-attach with epoxy.

I used naval jelly to remove the blue from the underside of the sight base then roughed up with 240 grit paper. Heated and tinned with no discolouration so decided to tin the barrel. Same procedure along a strip a little narrower than the sight base. The screws located the sight base and I clamped it down then heated until the solder melted ~ done!

It should be solid now and stay until I decide it comes off.

So, for future reference, soft soldering doesn't discolour the bluing.

Longbow