PDA

View Full Version : Help Me With This - Shortened Revolver Brass Video

308Jeff
08-31-2017, 06:10 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtCivdYVGC4

I listened to this one on the way into work this morning, and it left me scratching my head a bit...

In a cartridge that headspaces off of the case rim, who cares if the brass is a little short? Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the loaded AOL of the cartridge is the same, what does it matter if the case is a bit short? The distance between the case web and base of the bullet will remain constant, as would the internal volume of the loaded brass.

Sure you'd have to crimp a little lower on bullet, but I don't see why people are pitching a virtual hissy over Hornady slightly shortening the brass for their FTX ammo.

I get that for some bullets and loads you wouldn't want to crimp anywhere other than where the bullet was designed to receive one, but it seems to me like the upset people leaving comments on the video are under the impression that the brass is dangerous.

Harter66
08-31-2017, 09:28 PM
Well there is that pesky chamber carbon ring .
I have a Schofield chambered DA Smith some if someone has a bunch of that short Horn brass I got a bucket for it .

Hick
08-31-2017, 10:18 PM
Considering the selection of rifles designed for pistol cases of differing lengths (38 Special/357 magnum etc), I'd say the manufacturers don't think it matters much. I've noticed that the manual for my Henry Big Boy has no warnings against firing the shorter cases. I've also read of competitive shooters using 38 Long colt and 38 short colt brass in 38 Specials because of some advantage they think they gain. In my 38 Special and my Henry I don't sweat the case length differences.

Harter66
09-01-2017, 10:17 AM
The problem that folks are having with using the brass is that it is of correct capacity and OAL with the Hornady LevEvolution loads and the flex tip bullets . The problem posed by the case is that the crimp grooves in other bullets are set for use in full length cases either 38 Special or 357 or Schofield/Colts or 45-70 among others . In the case of the rifle cases where folks us a collet crimp die like the Lee FCD it misses the case altogether .
To use a conventional roll crimp die requires readjustment of both sides of the seating die and some dies ,older more than newer , don't have enough range for a heavy roll crimp .
You are correct about simply reworking the load data .
In my case I would just make something else out of them or seat them long relative to the case and taper crimp . In the case of the Colts brass I have a Schofield , in ,357 I have a 38 S&W (technically not a short) in those cases it would be immediately obvious that they are not 357 or Colts cases the short in my 45-70 just makes for loading a 458193 in the top lube groove instead of the crimp groove . In any case the problem is easily fixed by sorting brass by headstamp and loading accordingly or selling/giving the brass to someone that does use , want or have a growing stash for either a special load run or to run in bulk .

Some states do have a minimum cartridge requirement that is stated something like " a case length of no less than that of the 44 Remington Magnum " which could trip you up if you stumbled on the warden with a micrometer in his/her pocket .
There is at least one state that has a maximum 1.8" maximum case length that will allow a "45-60" to be used in a 45-70 rifle so cut them back from 2.05 to 1.8 and now you have a legal straight case for those states .

Too many people aren't looking at this brass in the right light is all . The greats would be loving this no trim taper crimp PC shooting .

str8wal
09-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if the loaded AOL of the cartridge is the same, what does it matter if the case is a bit short?

It matters not, other than with bullets with a cannelure you wouldn't be able to crimp in the groove. This can be a problem with heavy loads and revolvers. The other issue would be buildup at the end of the chamber which would need to be cleaned up prior to shooting proper length brass.

KCSO
09-01-2017, 11:03 AM
Because you have to sort the brass and readjust the crimping die every time you reload and if you miss a case it doesn't crimp. They are a PITA.

psweigle
09-01-2017, 02:01 PM
Or like me, you could set up your dies with a short hornady case, and proceed to ruin a couple cases till you figure it out. I felt pretty stupid once I figured it out. I don't sort my brass by head stamp, so I just put all the hornady brass in my scrap bucket.

308Jeff
09-01-2017, 02:29 PM
Y'all make perfectly good points.

I just wanted to confirm my thoughts regarding internal capacities and pressures.

Harter66
09-01-2017, 04:31 PM
I'll take what ever you want to toss in the scrap bucket in 45 Colts . Since it is short already it will make fine Schofield .

GhostHawk
09-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Some of those cases are also rifle cases like .444marlin. And it does to me make a bit more difference there.

I like to load my bullets so they are just almost touching the rifling. Throw in a short case and that is no longer true.

Hornady decided to do this, but I suspect they lost some customers in the process.
I know I won't buy any of them.

I would rather buy known good long cases and reload them myself.

Wayne Smith
09-02-2017, 08:23 AM
Well there is that pesky chamber carbon ring .
I have a Schofield chambered DA Smith some if someone has a bunch of that short Horn brass I got a bucket for it .
I have a Smith Model 3 (2000) in 45 S&W and use the Starline brass with the proper headstamp.

Salmoneye
09-02-2017, 08:46 AM
Don't buy Hornady ammo with short cases...

Problem solved...

308Jeff
09-02-2017, 12:06 PM
I believe the shortened brass is limited to the FTX line, no?

Harter66
09-02-2017, 12:18 PM
I have a Smith Model 3 (2000) in 45 S&W and use the Starline brass with the proper headstamp.

Wyane
I have about 100 pieces also .
Couple of 100 45 AR , upwards of 1000 Colts .
Waste not want not . There's little to no chance of making mistake with Schofield even if mismarked .

Blammer
09-09-2017, 10:48 PM
the video was so painful to listen to I gave up,

I just sell or discard any hornady brass that is too short for my needs. problem solved.