PDA

View Full Version : Star lube lines

crabo
08-04-2008, 12:43 AM
What causes the star to put lube lines on the nose of a boolit? I will go along fine with no lines, then I'll get some with line, then no lines, ect. I sm sizing nose first.

Any idea?

Thanks,

garandsrus
08-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Crabo,

Heat and/or lube pressure... Do you notice the lines just after you increase the pressure?

John

GabbyM
08-04-2008, 01:20 AM
That's the lube oozing out during the time it takes the next bullet to move over the holes. So you wipe off the ooze with the nose of your bullet. Usually indicates your lube is to hot. Less pressure on the screw may counter this. Until you can get it cooled down. Carnauba Red is bad about oozing if over heated. But it's willingness to move is what makes it work in the gun. With CR I end up running it just hot enough so the lube pump return spring will bring the piston back smoothly. I'm about frustrated enough to drop a C note on the Magma heater with a control.

crabo
08-05-2008, 12:21 AM
Crabo,

Heat and/or lube pressure... Do you notice the lines just after you increase the pressure?

John

I started watching tonight after you asked this question and yes it is a result of too much pressure.

Thanks,