PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite charities?

DCP
08-30-2017, 03:50 PM
With the hurricane hitting Houston And Texas!

Whats is your favorite?

Whats The best bang for your buck?

I am thinking the Salvation Army

square butte
08-30-2017, 03:56 PM
Samaritan's Purse ( Franklin Graham )

Preacher Jim
08-30-2017, 04:08 PM
Salvation Army, Samaritan purse, Southern Baptist disaster Relief. Those three will use all of it for relief. Not like red crooked

dverna
08-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Salvation Army. Almost all the funds are used to help others. I do not know much about the others. Will never give to the Red Cross again.

popper
08-30-2017, 04:52 PM
eightdaysofhope.com is another recovery charity.

jcwit
08-30-2017, 06:33 PM
My catholic Church.

Kraschenbirn
08-30-2017, 06:46 PM
Local YMCA (is sending volunteers to Texas and Louisiana)...wife was their Director of Operations for 24 years so I know they're honest with their donations. Salvation Army would get my second vote.

Bill

jonp
08-30-2017, 08:22 PM
I was just going to post a thread on this. I donate to a couple.

The Beer Army Foundation. They provide scholarships to kids in need. https://www.beerarmy.org/

Team Rubicon. Vets that show up to help people https://teamrubiconusa.org/

The Salvation Army. They get much less press than the Red Cross. They also spend a lot less on advertising how great they are. They just show up then leave without much fuss. Consistently one of the best charities out there. http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/

Mercury One. Glen Becks charitable arm. 100% pass through of all donations. https://www.mercuryone.org/

Check all charities before you donate. Know who you are giving money to. Always go to Charity Navigator or Charity Watch first unless it's your local church, of course.

Here is an example that will turn your stomach on why it is important to know who you are giving to: Muslim Activist Linda Sarsour asked for people to donate to her linkthrough charity of choice to help hurricane victims. None of the money donated will go for that, though. All for left wing political hacks http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/30/muslim-activist-eviscerated-on-social-media-for-harvey-fundraising-heres-why/
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/450982/hurricane-harvey-linda-sarsour-uses-disaster-fund-political-activist-group

She is raising money supposedly for disaster relief but all of the money will go to left wing organizing and a PAC founded by George Soros. She also advised this week to not give to the Red Cross but instead give to activist groups. She is trash of the worst kind

Rick Hodges
08-30-2017, 08:38 PM
Salvation Army

DCP
08-30-2017, 08:42 PM
Just gave to the Salvation Army

They will send all donations to straight to Texas.

smokeywolf
08-30-2017, 08:50 PM
My local churches. Both Catholic and Presbyterian. Much of what gets donated to the Catholic Church here goes to help the rather large population of illegals, so, the Presbyterian Church is close by and I give to them too. Also give to Goodwill.
Used to give to the (something or other) Mission in our county, but every time I would send a check, within ten days to two weeks they were sending me more literature, which must have cost 5-10% of what I had just sent them, begging for more.

Wayne Smith
08-30-2017, 09:43 PM
Samaritans Purse, the Mennonite recovery fund (they keep coming back until the work is finished, usually years.), and the Salvation Army.

retread
08-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Mercury One. 100% goes to help those in need.

rancher1913
08-30-2017, 10:28 PM
usually support cal farlys, they take care of kids, don't know if it got hit or not.

AZBronco
08-30-2017, 11:48 PM
Salvation Army

SSGOldfart
08-31-2017, 01:10 AM
Salvation Army and the DAV / USO,The Red Cross will never get money from me again.:???:

clum553946
08-31-2017, 02:33 AM
Wish Upon A Star

richhodg66
08-31-2017, 06:49 AM
Our little church does quite a bit for Samaritan's Purse every year, seems to be a good one. The Salvation Army is definitely the real deal, does a lot with low overhead.

Shepherd2
08-31-2017, 06:55 AM
Salvation Army and USO.

shooterg
08-31-2017, 01:06 PM
Gleaning For The World does good work and they are local to me-plus I went to school with the founding pastor.

Vegas Vince
08-31-2017, 01:30 PM
Salvation Army

Grmps
08-31-2017, 01:52 PM
I know nothing about this charity (savethechildren.org), but SurplusAmmo.com

"In response to Hurricane Harvey's devastation, SurplusAmmo.com is collecting donations for Save The Children's Hurricane Harvey Children's Relief Fund.
We are matching customer donations dollar for dollar up to $10,000.
In order to expedite accounting we take the donation and match it 100% and send it to Save The Children's Hurricane Harvey Children's, Relief Fund."

http://www.surplusammo.com/products/save-the-children-donation-for-hurricane-harvey-surplusammo-com-matches-donations-up-to-10-000.html?mc_cid=159d7c7761&mc_eid=30dd0c0a4f

bruce drake
08-31-2017, 02:46 PM
I'm biased since I work for The American Legion but we have several charities being engaged to help veterans during this hurricane's after-effects

The National Emergency Fund is a charity for Legionnaires to apply for aid when a National Disaster is declared.
www.legion.org.nef

The Temporary Financial Assistance Grant is a program we have in place to ensure that young children (under 18) of veterans who served during wartime (We've been at war since 9/11 so that covers a lot of veterans now) are aided and do not suffer. The parents of these children do not have be Legion members for the children to receive the aid.
www.legion.org/tfa

bob208
08-31-2017, 06:40 PM
salvation army.

snowwolfe
08-31-2017, 10:41 PM
St Jude

myg30
09-01-2017, 08:22 AM
St Jude, Shriners , and Salvation Army.

My friends back home in NY said during 9-11 while searching the rubble mound, Salvation Army was all over helping out all firemen, cops, ems, esu and the Red Cross was no where to be scene.
Makes you wonder

Mike

Fishman
09-01-2017, 09:39 AM
Our Catholic Church is having a collection this Sunday and they are good at getting it to where it is needed. I also have friends affected and PayPal friends and family gets them money NOW to help with immediate clean up expenses. Can't get any shorter of a supply line than that. The national grocery chain of Texas, HEB is taking donations and were right there right now when Harvey hit.

upr45
09-01-2017, 09:57 AM
Salvation Army, for overseas SWI (Strategic World Impact www.SWI.org).

NoAngel
09-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Shriners and St. Jude.

I'm a bit of an ***** about charity. A person capable of working deserves very little. Most everyone an do SOMETHING. People that do SOMETHING may deserve something. People (most) that do nothing deserve NOTHING. Very few exceptions. My back hurts gimme disability. Boohoo!

Not that I don't support those who DO deserve help. They're just few and far between. No where NEAR the number that receive help.
You fought for my country and my freedom and got your legs blown off? Heck yeah, lets take care you as much as you need without question. Children with life shattering ailments? No question about it.
You got lung cancer cause you smoked for 30 years? Pay up or Piss off.

Idz
09-01-2017, 02:57 PM
I've been through a couple of disasters here in the mountains of New Mexico. The ONLY relief organization that showed up quickly was the Red Cross, although all the others asked for donations. It may be different in the big cities but I support the Red Cross for the work they did and do out in the boondocks. I know a number of the volunteers that staff the relief trucks and you cannot find a finer class of folks. Their management may not be perfect but they seem to get the job done around here. Ideally send your $ directly to friends or relatives in the area and second best a relief organization.

DCP
09-03-2017, 09:14 AM
On the news Red Cross said 91% of all donation go to the people

jonp
09-03-2017, 09:22 AM
I'm biased since I work for The American Legion but we have several charities being engaged to help veterans during this hurricane's after-effects

The National Emergency Fund is a charity for Legionnaires to apply for aid when a National Disaster is declared.
www.legion.org.nef

The Temporary Financial Assistance Grant is a program we have in place to ensure that young children (under 18) of veterans who served during wartime (We've been at war since 9/11 so that covers a lot of veterans now) are aided and do not suffer. The parents of these children do not have be Legion members for the children to receive the aid.
www.legion.org/tfa

I've been a member for years and when I got the email this week about the charities I have to admit I never heard of them.

Geezer in NH
09-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Salvation Army

Boaz
09-03-2017, 11:36 AM
Links to Salvation Army and a food/help pantry in the stricken area are in the sticky's above . When you donate please message me who you donated to and amount . We are trying to keep a total on donations through the forum . Thank all that help and please pray for all affected .

Thank you .
Charlie (Boaz)

hiram1
09-03-2017, 03:48 PM
masonic lodge will send 100%

salpal48
09-03-2017, 04:13 PM
My self

bruce drake
09-03-2017, 06:15 PM
Funny, since they've been active charities for many many years. Go visit your post and talk to the adjutant and he'd be glad to talk about them to you.

Fishman
09-03-2017, 09:02 PM
At our local high school football game kids with milk jugs att the gate raised over $4,500.

kfarm
09-04-2017, 09:38 AM
I give only to my church, St. Edwards catholic church in Little Rock.

Houndog
09-04-2017, 01:04 PM
St Jude's, Shriner's hospitals and the Salvation Army I know for a fact my money gets where it needs to go with all of them!

wildwilly
09-06-2017, 01:53 AM
Salvation Army.
SPCA

bedbugbilly
09-06-2017, 08:58 AM
The Shriner's Hospital (I'm a Shriner and have seen the good things we are abe to do for kids at no cost first hand)

Our local "food pantry"

the privately run "Humane Society" that provides care and adoption services for dogs and cats

there are just so many who do good work that need support - I'm not a big fan of those where the donation (if $$) gets eaten up by "administrative costs" and a minimum goes to those that need help

Thundarstick
09-06-2017, 09:18 AM
DAV is my number one! For the disaster relief is strait through the local church! To God be the glory!