PDA

View Full Version : Savage 100 won't cock after firing first shot. ANY help would be appreciated.

DanWalker
08-29-2017, 06:03 PM
Question for you Savage Guru's. My buddy has a savage 110 in 300 winmag. We got him a Bell&Carlson Medalist stock for it as a Christmas gift. He started having issues with rifle as soon as we put the new stock on. It will fire the first round, but then fail to cock for the next round. Take the gun out of the stock and reinstall it, and it will cock again and work just fine when you cycle the bolt. fire another round, and it fails to cock again. I realize the stock is the problem, but I'd like to know where we need to remove material. Thanks.

too many things
08-29-2017, 06:11 PM
sounds like the trigger area at back not letting the sear clear

LAGS
08-29-2017, 06:16 PM
Color the bottom of the trigger and sear with Red Lip Stick.
Re Assamble and then work the action.
Then take the stock off, and see where the lipstick transfered to the stock.
That is where it is hitting.

MT Chambers
08-30-2017, 10:37 PM
I believe the model 100 is a single shot.

koger
08-31-2017, 11:56 PM
The trigger is rubbing hard on the guard most likely, Most of the B&C stocks, have a high bedding spot on one side of the recoil lug, often twisting the whole rifle in the stock. I have 3 of these stocks, had to mill out the recoil lug area on each one of them, had the same issue on one rifle.

Texas by God
09-01-2017, 10:19 AM
I believe koger nailed it. Look /feel the triggers fit at the trigger guard. You may just have to open the window in the trigger guard. Bell&Carlson should be notified if it takes milling to make their stock fit. It IS supposed to be a drop in after all.
Best, Thomas.

DanWalker
09-03-2017, 11:53 AM
Got it guys. I did the lipstick trick and found that trigger was hitting at the back. A quick touch up with the dremel and it is working fine now. Thanks again!

LAGS
09-03-2017, 09:27 PM
I am glad my suggestion helped you find the problem.
I suggested the Lip Stick, because unless you do a lot of stock inletting then you wouldnt have any Prussian Blue Paste Like we use.
And Prussian Blue sometimes is hard to see on Black Plastic or composite stocks.
But I feel that if a stock is a True Drop in Fit, and it will fit every rifle of that model, Then it is a "Loose Fit"
Well within standards, but not as good as a Custom Inletted or Bedded stock.
But I would rather Teach someone how to find the Problem, rather than Guess what it might be without actually seeing the rifle.
My rifle is not the same as yours, nor is my stock, but the way you look for problems is Very Similar.