PDA

View Full Version : Which size die and top punch for Model 57

pearson1662
08-03-2008, 09:12 PM
I have a M57 that I want to cast boolits for. I have a 4500, a Saeco #410 round nose FP plain base mold but no sizing die or top punch. Am I correct in believing that Saeco dies and top punches won't work in the Lyman? I see Lyman size dies at .410 and .413. What do you recommend?

I don't own the tool that I have seen on this forum that makes it possible to measure slugs from a S&W barrel.

Do I need to get a custom top punch to fit the nose profile of the Saeco boolit?

I understand that there is a member of this community (Buckshot?) that makes custom dies and punches. Would that be a better solution?

Thanks for your help.

Jay

GabbyM
08-03-2008, 09:32 PM
Standard size is .410.
Saeco makes punches for Lyman and RCBS sizers They are prefixed with LR ( Lyman Reeding)Your punch is
LR46534. That's for the 220gr FP bullet #410.
When you get to your online catalog you may wnat to enter that number into the search rather than sorting through 500 punches.

454PB
08-03-2008, 10:38 PM
You can certainly have custom dies and nose punches made, but there are ways around it. Try the slug you put through the barrel for fit in the cylinder throats. If it fits snugly, you can measure the throats with a dial caliper and get within .001" of the actual slug diameter. It's good practice to size your boolits for the cylinder throats, so you need to do that anyway. Buy a Lyman sizing die in .410". You can increase it's inside diameter easily with a piece of fine emery cloth wrapped around a piece of 3/8" dowel. I can give you more detail on doing that if you're interested. A nose punch can be made using epoxy putty or JB Weld poured into an existing nose punch, then fitted on one of your Saeco #410 after applying some oil to the nose as a release agent.

pearson1662
08-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Thanks fellas! This is exactly the kind of information I needed.

454, I would appreciate it if you would describe your technique with the emery cloth. I don't own any top punches, yet, so I will probably go ahead and purchase the top punch from Saeco. As cast, (100% wheel weights) the bullets are larger than the cylinder throats. They don't "tap" through. They measure .410- to .412+ (They aren't perfectly round.) I do have a good digital micrometer.

I used fishing weights (before I had the ability to cast) and pushed them from the muzzle through the barrel and they are smaller than the cylinder throats, implying that my barrel is smaller in diameter than the cylinder throats. Was this the wrong way to make a slug of the barrel? I understand that if the barrel slugs are larger than the cylinder throats that I will have difficulty ever achieving good accuracy. So, if the slugs I made are accurate, I should be in good shape from that stand point.

Does this all sound correct?

Thanks,

Jay

454PB
08-04-2008, 10:51 PM
Good. You want the barrel smaller than the cylinder throats.

You can use the dowel this way:
Cut a piece of dowel about 8" long. Saw a slit about half it's length, the slit is used to secure the end of the emery cloth. Slide the cloth into the slit, and then wrap enough around the dowel the equal a snug fit in the sizing die. With the emery cloth wrapped around the dowel, slide it in the die so that 3" of the dowel protrudes from each end. Place the die on your thigh and grasp each end. Roll the die along your thigh and the emery cloth will begin honing the die. Be careful to avoid bending the dowel, or you'll end up with an "hour glass" interior. Measure frequently by slugging the die, it's surprising how quickly this removes metal depending on the grade of cloth. I use crocus cloth to give it a final polish.

pearson1662
08-05-2008, 08:39 AM
Thanks!

MtGun44
08-06-2008, 09:01 PM
It is worthwhile to read the sticky on revolver accy at the top of the
handgun page. Covers a lot of this basic stuff.

Here's the link.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=21598

Bill

pearson1662
08-07-2008, 04:39 AM
Thanks, Bill. My favorite uncle was my Uncle Bill from Coffeyville.