PDA

View Full Version : Saeco Redding 8 cavity mold

rhead
08-03-2008, 07:34 PM
I spotted one of these (with handles) at a gunshow in Hot Springs Sat. PM. for $70. It is for their 929 design. A 145 grain swc for a 9mm. Most of the data I have seen says 3.9 to 4.4 of unique. Is there anything about this boolit (such as needing an odd oal) or anything else that would save me some time?
It is too hot to crank up the pot right now. Is there any chance that this mold will throw something above .358 for the 38's and the 357 mags.
There was also a NIB Ruger single six with a 9.5 inch barrel and the Mag. cylinder for $350 that followed me home. She who must be obeyed has decided that the oldest son does not provide adequate adult supervision when I go out in public.:roll:

DLCTEX
08-03-2008, 07:52 PM
Great find on both counts. I need to go to the gun shows you do. I haven't bought anything in years, except for a 50 ca. BMG cartridge for $2 to put in my collection. DALE

HeavyMetal
08-03-2008, 09:57 PM
All the Saeco molds i've ever worked with were spot on for the cartridge they were designed for.

Having said that I will also add that these Saeco's have all been recent ( last 30 years or so) production.

I think your 8 banger may be older than that and it is possible it will drop boolits in the .358 range.

The only real way to tell is to heat that puppy up and make some!

Good score!

dromia
08-04-2008, 01:23 AM
Wow! congratulations, what does that mould weigh ?

copdills
08-04-2008, 09:50 AM
congrats on your fine , and my wife tells me I need supervision when I go the gunshop or gunshow too LOL

rhead
08-04-2008, 06:19 PM
I very seldom buy anything from the dealer's tables. They are usually over priced or shiney junk to attract the kids. Of course most of the people there are kids now days, just like every where else. The world has filled up with younger women though. There are usually a few tables where someone is cleaning out a collection or a few amature dealers in it as a sideline. They are more likely to have something that I want and are more willing to negotiate on the price.

pipehand
08-10-2008, 07:58 AM
You got a killer deal! I have eight of the Saeco 8 cavity moulds I bought about 20 years ago from GAR. IRC, they were $235 a piece without the handles. Sorry that they were discontinued a while back. I really like the trough style sprue plates- wish all multi cavity moulds had them. Using two at a time makes a lot of boolits in a short time--if you can keep alloy melted fast enough.

Heavy lead
08-10-2008, 10:04 AM
Great find, you really have to sort through the gunshows around here. For the most part it's overpriced deglected stuff or non-gunrelated.
Congrats

rhead
08-10-2008, 01:01 PM
It finally cooled down into the low eighties yesterday and I got to crank if up for a while. It went through 40# of lead in less than two hours. My shoulder and wrist were both gone! I had to make use of the mould support on the pot for the first time. That thing is heavy. They averaged from .3575 to .359 in dia and 100 averaged 147.5 grains.
After it got heated up it was releasing all eight bullets with just a shake of the mold. I had around a pound of culls(call it 2.5%), mostly from rounded bases. They will be large enough for the .357s if there is feeding problems wit the 9mm. The only thing I would change would be to add the caming action on the sprueplate like on the Lee six cavity moulds.
Pipehand. I guess I got a better deal than I thought. I knew that the 4 cavity ones were retailing for around $130 @ Midway.

bobthenailer
08-14-2008, 07:21 PM
i have 6 - 8 cavity seaco moulds all work like a dream ! all have at least 50,000 bullets made on each mould and are as new condtion, i also have the saeco# 929 in a 4 cavity i can size to .358 dia but i usually size to .357 for my 2, 38 supers i also have the saeco#377 and #384 and the #929 is the most accurate out of either of my supers . i also have a 9mm and the #929 is to long to use in the 9 mm, it seats to far in the case bulging it , but it may chamber in your 9 mm pistol . the #929 is a bevel base bullet! i paid $130.00 from gar for my 1st and $175.00 for my last one . bob

rhead
08-16-2008, 04:51 PM
I tried a dummy round with the #929 sized t .358 in my Ruger p89. It fed and chambered with no problems. This time I remembered to check it with a full clip and feeding from both sides. ( I wound up single feeding a lot of 100 loaded with the Lee 158 rnfp that I got in a rush on last year.) I loaded up 50 using 4.1 grains of Unique and will try them the next time I can get to the range.

I did get to try out the single six Thursday. Rem bulk, Federal bulk and cci mini mags all grouped between 1 and 1.25 inches at 25 yards off of the bench with bags, and all to very near the same point of impact. The maxi mags grouped a little ovet 1.5 inches and about 2 inches below the long rifles. Then I tried the winchester rim fires, six rounds into .75 inches with four in one ragged cloverleaf. I guess I will have to be keeping my eyes open for more of those at the next gunshow.:-D I didn't know I could still see that well. I have a little trouble seeing the sights and the tsrget with the same set of glasses.

The groups expanded when I tried shooting standing up on my hind legs like a bear.[smilie=1: That longer barrel will take a bit of practice. It feels very barrel heavy.

pjh421
08-17-2008, 10:29 PM
Nice score rhead. Better record the lot number of those Winchester .22s.

Paul