PDA

View Full Version : Revival this week !!

Boaz
08-26-2017, 06:03 PM
lol , You know I face a lot of questions pretty regular (Texans say 'pretty' to expound or mean more) how I can be a Baptist and not only accept other churches but to promote them . I get a kick out of it ! As an Independent Baptist I am given leave or latitude to lead all to Christ . Mine is not the only church , there are many doing good work and gaining glory for GOD .

As a child we would visit kinfolks regular , that included going to church with them as they did with us when they visited . We had Baptists (mainly Southern) , Methodists , Pentecostal , Seventh Day Adventist , Catholic and Primitive Baptist .
As a child it was all about the same for me . I was to be quiet , sing when it 'happened' and suffer through the sermon being still and keeping my mouth shut , lol . Mom always had a pack of Juicy Fruit gum and a piece of paper to write or draw on to occupy me . If you acted up she took you outside give you a whopping and shamed you . When you went back in you minded . It worked out ok !

I didn't realize till much later I didn't have many of the preconceived prejudices that many would have only going to one church their whole life . As a child they all seemed to deliver the same message ....they just did it in a different way .

Aunt Babe .
Aunt Babe was a Seventh Day Adventist , she visited because she lived in a tiny town in Oklahoma and had to have some medical tests run so she came to 'visit' . We all hated to see her come , not because she was an Adventist but because she was just naturally mean as a rattlesnake . Condescending , hateful and purely divisive .
Mom was cooking big meals since she was staying and made bacon , eggs and don't remember what else . She served Babe a plate full of food and it had bacon on it . Babe come unglued (Adventists don't eat pork) !! Went to ranting she could.t eat bacon ! Mom was trying to cater to her but forgot
about the pork deal .
Mom backed up to the counter and said ; You grew up on pork and you ain't goin to hell ! What do you want to eat ! lol , it shamed aunt Babe , she shut up and apologized . Next morning she asked for bacon when mom wanted to know what she wanted . lol , my mom was a strong woman .

Boaz
08-26-2017, 07:50 PM
When I was bout 10 years old I was standing outside the front of the church waiting for mom or dad to come out and go home . There was 3 or 4 old men talking , they were talking bad about those going to the Catholic church down the street . Mom came out and we started for the 62 model Rambler in the parking lot . As we were walking I asked if Catholics were bad people . She kept on walking . When we got to the car she turned and said ; Charlie , Catholics are not bad people...they just worship GOD in a different way . No more else was ever said .

Boaz
08-26-2017, 07:58 PM
I was raised Baptist but taught to respect others worship practices . Now you might think that would confuse a child but it's quite the opposite , I was taught to 'respect' ones ability to chose the way they worship . Not confusing at all , actually clarifies acceptance of methodology of worship .

jmort
08-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Raised Roman Catholic
Currerently card carrying Southern Baptist
Have been a member of a Dutch Reform church
Attended non-denominational and Full Gospel churches
Would attend any of them again

Boaz
08-26-2017, 08:07 PM
lol , good for you !

Boaz
08-26-2017, 08:09 PM
I might have to pick your brain on the Dutch Reform Church , never visited !

Boaz
08-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Dad was a Mason . Being a Mason is not going to church .But in Texas The Masons always say ...we just take a good ol boy and make him better . Dad was solid , a good man , infinite patience to a fault and when that patience played out due to my hardheadedness he ripped off that old brown work belt and showed me the error of my ways . Praise GOD for dad . He taught me much .
Dad was born in a dugout near Stage Stand Oklahoma in 1901 . He was run over by a truck in 1915 . Both knees crushed , he spent 2 years in a bed unable to walk . He was raised Penicostal but mainly believed what he read in his bible . He walked with a limp but woe to the one that called him a cripple or a gimp . His teaching was general and practical by biblical standards . Leaving decisions to me ...a hard teacher .

jmort
08-26-2017, 08:48 PM
It was a "mega-church" in So Cal and I doubt even half the people attending knew it was a Dutch Reform Church. Once I found out, I did some due diligence and found I agreed with the denomination. The Pastor kind of set his own course from what could tell. I agreed with him less than I did with the "official" church doctrine. Was baptized there. I have attended a couple mega-churches. They seem to adopt a very similar approach.

Boaz
08-26-2017, 08:54 PM
jmort I started in a fair size Southern Baptist church when I was bout 10 years old . It morphed into a mega church , I attended it for 42 years , went to a smaller Independent Baptist church (same basic doctrine) and enjoy the closer fellowship and outreach works .

jmort
08-26-2017, 08:58 PM
We get around 30 on Sunday. We are a family, but only a couple young families attend. That is not good. We need some more young blood in our Body

Boaz
08-26-2017, 09:14 PM
I understand . Preach the word . Witness and show diligence . They will come . I have seen and experienced it . The weak will fall to the side , the tears will be cast . But the committed will bring them in . Built up your own then seek lost .

Boaz
08-26-2017, 09:15 PM
Have you seen the light ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtolv9kM1qk

Boaz
08-26-2017, 09:22 PM
Will you fly away ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BPoMIQHwpo

Boaz
08-26-2017, 09:45 PM
Put up a testimony or hymn/song ?

GhostHawk
08-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Growing up in a village of a 135 souls counting dogs everything was divided on 3 lines.

Republican or Democrat.

Water (was the person you were talking to above you or below you.)

Catholic or Lutheran?

We were outsiders, Methodist who drove 8 miles every sunday to church.

The Lutherans tried hard to get our family. Dade was a pillar of the community, a solid man, and one who got things done. As the Lutheran church was just 2 blocks down the street we were in it often, marryin's and buryin's.

Then one day the Catholic priest knocked on our door after supper. Now we knew him well. A good sized portion of his flock was from our village and any community event would see him there.

He had a problem. They wanted to build a new church. And they knew we had just finished ours. But they wanted to rebuild on the same ground. Which meant for over a year they would have no place to hold service. I think they had originally wanted to talk to Dad about contractors and such. Dad was on the board of trustee's and very involved.

Well; dad working with the trustee's and the pastor negotiated a deal with them. For 15 months we shared a building.

Holidays we ran multiple services, and swapped preachers. So if it was mostly Catholic mass the Methodist preacher would do the Sermon and vice versa.

There are many church's, faiths, doctrines, differences of opinion.
To me all of that is irrelevant.

There is ONE Lord, and either you believe and follow him, or you don't.
Choose your church to suit yourself. But remind yourself that the church is run by man, and has been for 2000 years. That is a lot of time for man to screw things up. And mankind is good at that.

As Jesus went through the temple driving out the money lenders and corrupt I believe he will someday go through our church's. And all those who gave him lip service only. Who were Christians only for an hour on Sunday will hear "I knew you not"

And those who truly believe and follow him, who work for him. Will hear "Thou good and faithful servant, well done!" And no one will care which church they attended.

Which are you? Who do you serve?

Boaz
08-27-2017, 09:12 AM
Thank you GhostHawk .

Boaz
08-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Are you washed...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xf-5kzeSbXY

Boaz
08-27-2017, 09:35 AM
I posted this last week in a thread , thought it appropriate here also . Have a great Sunday today !

Luke 2;9-16

And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.
And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.
For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.
And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.
And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying,
Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
And it came to pass, as the angels were gone away from them into heaven, the shepherds said one to another, Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us.
And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger.

And so the prophesy was fulfilled . Our Savior had come . Immanuel , GOD with us . The rest is history , the words , example and sacrifice to pay our debit we could not pay . We say we are his children . Our Lord came to save us and offers a better life lived in his example and eternal life through payment of our sins . He did all he could to save us from ourselves . So ! How are you holding up to your commitment ? Personally I could use a little work .

WRideout
08-27-2017, 09:37 AM
I had not been in a church for a couple of decades, when I finally decided it was time to take my kids to the Methodist church where they had been invited for social events. I dropped in to the adult Sunday School, and talked with people while waiting for it to start. One lady asked, "Where do you usually go to church?" I answered I had not been in a long time, but I was raised Baptist. A couple of other people kind of looked down at the table and said, "I was raised Baptist." I felt like I was at a 12 step meeting; "My name is Wayne, and I was raised Baptist!"

Wayne

Boaz
08-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Wayne I laughed when I read that ! Thank you !

Boaz
08-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Got to get to church .... One more song . One that is generally used during the invitation in my country .

Just as I am .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovYPQl93zro

Boaz
08-27-2017, 05:49 PM
I like this priest .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXxykz_DwSM

Boaz
08-27-2017, 05:59 PM
Matthew 25;31-46

When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’
“Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’
“Then they also will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Preacher Jim
08-27-2017, 06:01 PM
Charlie, I was preaching a revival in Kentucky when a little Charlie reached his mother's last straw. She snatched little Charlie up took him around to back of the church behind the pulpit.
Once there she dropped his drawers and proceeded to warm his backside. There was a big window to the floor behind me where she educated Lil Charlie, the congregation broke out in laughter and I thought I had committed some gross mis wording till ladies pointed at window.
9 young folks accepted Christ that week of services that turned to revival.

Blackwater
08-27-2017, 07:07 PM
We had our revival week before last. All went well. Can't remember the count, but some young folks came forward, and a few adults also. We have a pretty good preacher. He's off next week to Brit. Columbia on a deer hunt. He tries to go once each year, and usually goes on solo hunts. He loves the solitude. I'm hoping to make him a knife for such forays into the wild. I don't think he carries enough ammo to signal much, if something went wrong. Fire is the next best "signal," in addition to keeping one warm, cooking whatever he can find to eat, etc. He spent some time in Alaska, and said that was a real challenge for any preacher. He said most folks there were "running away from something" - bad marriages, legal troubles or debt, etc. He's got the courage a Christian OUGHT to have, and leading the church is his greatest concern. My hat's off to ALL preachers! They have one of the hardest and most complex jobs in the world! And so many find it SO easy to misinterpret what they say, or twist it to their liking, or purposes! Kudos to you all! And God bless you!

Boaz
08-28-2017, 09:15 AM
Charlie, I was preaching a revival in Kentucky when a little Charlie reached his mother's last straw. She snatched little Charlie up took him around to back of the church behind the pulpit.
Once there she dropped his drawers and proceeded to warm his backside. There was a big window to the floor behind me where she educated Lil Charlie, the congregation broke out in laughter and I thought I had committed some gross mis wording till ladies pointed at window.
9 young folks accepted Christ that week of services that turned to revival.

lol ,most of us got 'dusted off' several times .There was zero tolerance for wayward behavior during a service . Lessons learned .

Boaz
08-28-2017, 02:15 PM
I knew a man .

His name was Don , he was driller for Bradshaw Drilling and I hired out derricks for him . Found out he was pretty crazy in a short time . Don had a serious drinking problem and that combined with his way of living kept him in trouble of one kind or another . Don was determined to defy the law of gravity one way or another .

I liked Don but he put us in some hard spots at times .
We had both been out of work a while an he called me up , said he hired out drilling on a treble jackknife rig bout 60 mile east . Told me to meet him and he would drive us to the rig . We would be workin morning tire , 11 pm to 7 am . I drove my 67 Ford to town and met him .

Got my bag and steel coffee bottle loaded in his car and he fired up his old Buick and started for the rig . I asked him where the rest of the crew was and he just said ; Hell..you are the crew ! I started railing ...saying they wouldn't keep us without 2 more men .

That's when it got interesting . He said ; Yea they will , they blowed out , the location is knee deep in drilling mud and a lot of the equipment is screwed up , a bunch have quit . I got mad and pitched a fit ...Don laughed .

Boaz
08-29-2017, 08:55 AM
In the beginning...........

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2 And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3 And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.
5 And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.
6 And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
7 And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament: and it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
9 And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry land appear: and it was so.
10 And God called the dry land Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that it was good.
11 And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so.
12 And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.
20 And God said, Let the waters bring forth abundantly the moving creature that hath life, and fowl that may fly above the earth in the open firmament of heaven.
21 And God created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
22 And God blessed them, saying, Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the seas, and let fowl multiply in the earth.
23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
24 And God said, Let the earth bring forth the living creature after his kind, cattle, and creeping thing, and beast of the earth after his kind: and it was so.
25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
28 And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.
30 And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so.
31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.

Boaz
08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
Cross builder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itM9lMaOzF4

Boaz
08-29-2017, 03:44 PM
I knew a man

Don and me showed up and the tool pusher had a cow that there was only two of us . Had to park the car a block from the rig , was a mess , couldn't even see the earth pits ...was a sea of drilling mud . Rig lights were covered with mud . Tool pusher stayed and we got the backup mud pump going jetting mud into the big reserve pit . I spent the whole 8 hours wallowing in the mud with a high pressure gunning hose blowing mud in the pit the backup pump was sucking out of . It was a dang mess .

I was plumb wore out fighting that gunning hose all night , Don wasn't no better and we were both covered in dried mud. We hit the blacktop and he looked at me smiled and said..You know you love it ! Then we broke down and laughed for a couple of miles.

Boaz
08-29-2017, 08:59 PM
I knew a man

I have a ton of stories I could tell about Don . We worked together a lot but I'd like to tell the one that hurts me but has a good ending

Don was his own worst enemy , always getting into trouble and messing up . But he had a good streak he kept hidden and I know because he would talk to me more than most . I worked on Don a long time to consider Christ and he always sidestepped the conversation . He joined the Masons in the early 90's , He had a lot of friends in their small town lodge , they all knew how he was and they stuck with him . In a time he stared going to church with his wife . He started asking me questions and witnessing to me . It was a transformation , I was amazed and proud for him .

Don found out he had testicular cancer in 95 or 96 . It took him down quick , spread rapidly . He went through all the treatments they had at the time . He worked as long as he could but had to get on assistance , Medicare . He couldn't work so his wife had to hold down 2 jobs , he was ashamed , having been as hard a worker as he had then dependent on others . His wife would bring him to the shop with a big roll around oxygen bottle and he would stay till he gave out . I'd take him home and get him in the house . He had a 10 year old daughter and a wife , it killed him knowing he would leave them . I know because he talked to me much about it . Don died in 2001 , he fought hard but couldn't win .

Don accepted Christ , he was baptized , he had many friends . He hid from GOD a long time but in the end found GOD . I miss Don but am glad he got to go home .

Boaz
08-29-2017, 09:15 PM
As you see at the bottom of every post I put up.......No turning back ! You have come too far to turn back now .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2TwhEL2EPc

EMC45
08-29-2017, 09:47 PM
I knew a man

I have a ton of stories I could tell about Don . We worked together a lot but I'd like to tell the one that hurts me but has a good ending

Don was his own worst enemy , always getting into trouble and messing up . But he had a good streak he kept hidden and I know because he would talk to me more than most . I worked on Don a long time to consider Christ and he always sidestepped the conversation . He joined the Masons in the early 90's , He had a lot of friends in their small town lodge , they all knew how he was and they stuck with him . In a time he stared going to church with his wife . He started asking me questions and witnessing to me . It was a transformation , I was amazed and proud for him .

Don found out he had testicular cancer in 95 or 96 . It took him down quick , spread rapidly . He went through all the treatments they had at the time . He worked as long as he could but had to get on assistance , Medicare . He couldn't work so his wife had to hold down 2 jobs , he was ashamed , having been as hard a worker as he had then dependent on others . His wife would bring him to the shop with a big roll around oxygen bottle and he would stay till he gave out . I'd take him home and get him in the house . He had a 10 year old daughter and a wife , it killed him knowing he would leave them . I know because he talked to me much about it . Don died in 2001 , he fought hard but couldn't win .

Don accepted Christ , he was baptized , he had many friends . He hid from GOD a long time but in the end found GOD . I miss Don but am glad he got to go home .

Amen amen and AMEN!!!

Boaz
08-30-2017, 06:12 AM
I knew a man

I knew an old man named Carson , met him when I had a field rig mechanic service . He was tighter than the bark on a tree , he worked on pumping units , all manner of production oilfield equipment . We liked each other , I had many dealing with Carson .

Years later he came in the shop...needed a tire , wanted a used one because he was too cheap to buy new . There was another customer there waiting and he heard our conversation .

Carson was driving his wife's old Oldsmobile , it was totally trashed out filled with pipe wrenches , tools , buckets pipe dope , gun grease and all manner of parts for oilfield equipment . Trunk an hood was tied down with a piece of bailing wire Carson had on an old faded pair of overalls stained up and full of tears . He talked real slow because he had a speech impediment . He seemed like a poor old retarded guy . He found a tire and as usual he asked with a smile ; Will you give me a senior citizen discount ? I told him ; Carson I ain't never gonna give you a discount and we both smiled at each other . The customer waiting heard and saw all this .

I got Carson going and he left , the one waiting walked over and started belittling me ...I just let him talk . He told me I ought to be ashamed for not helping that poor old senile man . Said he started to pay his bill for him but thought it might shame him . When he got through I just said ;

I go to church with that 'poor old man' He is a deacon there and I have known him better than 30 years , we are friends . No one knows how many oil leases he has , he sells oilfield equipment , he has several ranches scattered around and 3 months ago he donated a million dollars to help add on the new sanctuary for the church . He's smarter than me and you put together . You can't always tell just by looking .

Carson died about 10 years ago . He always wanted to be perceived as a simple man but those that knew him knew better . He did much good in his life . Service was at the church , I attended . A good man .

Boaz
08-30-2017, 07:30 AM
It is amazing !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogxLNlgKM8c

Boaz
08-30-2017, 07:37 AM
This is the mission statement of my church , do you agree with it ?

" It is our mission and responsibility to magnify the Lord with our worship and service; to multiply God's family and our church family by the spreading of the gospel through the witness of our words and actions and the support of foreign missions; to minister to others with our spiritual gifts and abilities; to motivate others to get involved by providing opportunities through church ministeries and equipping by teaching and discipleship.

Boaz
08-30-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm quitting this thread . Too much happening in Texas and Louisiana . All concern should go to them . I have personally never seen so many in need of prayer and help . Thank you .

Preacher Jim
08-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Charlie any person who is not touched to help those in Texas should remember everyone is close to the next disaster. I worked disaster relief til my health issues put a stop and to see folks when you show up clean the mud out and replace bad dry wall is priceless. My tools will be in Texas doing what I would love to be doing.

Boaz
08-30-2017, 08:00 PM
Your totally right Jim .