PDA

View Full Version : Magtech and Wolf Primers?

pjh421
08-03-2008, 01:08 PM
I see these are in stock and cheap at Midway while the WSP's I normally like are out of stock and cost more.

How about some opinions on these brands? I'm concerned mostly about jamming the primer magazine tube of my Dillon. I have a couple lying around to remind me to not put CCI primers in them. They go right into the pick up tubes but they will bind up the magazine tube permanently. Thanks.

Paul

JDL
08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
I see these are in stock and cheap at Midway while the WSP's I normally like are out of stock and cost more.

How about some opinions on these brands? I'm concerned mostly about jamming the primer magazine tube of my Dillon. I have a couple lying around to remind me to not put CCI primers in them. They go right into the pick up tubes but they will bind up the magazine tube permanently. Thanks.

Paul

I've never had a problem with CCI in my Dillon 550B. Is this a common occurance?
JDL

Calamity Jake
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
I have used all brands execpt MT in my dillon with no problems and have never heard of the CCI problems before now.

I bought 10000 Wolf LP from powder valley a few months ago for my CAS loads, they are eather larger in dia or the cups are made out of a harder material than most others because they are a little harder to seat in the Dillon, other than that they function just fine.
I have fired about 800 so far mixed with the WW LP's that normaly use, I cannot see a difference.

Crash_Corrigan
08-05-2008, 08:04 AM
I have tried both brands and I agree that the Wolf sometime seem a little harder to seat but it is really not an issue. The price is a lot lower with Wolf and I will continue to buy them as they get the job done and gets me more trigger time.

As far as CCI getting stuck in primer tubes......I have had that problem will all brands of primers. The secret is to keep the tubes clean....really clean. I run a string through them with knots that are holding cut pieces of cleaning patches on a regular basis to keep my Dillon happy and prevent priming issues.

runfiverun
08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
the wolf's are a bit hotter so you use a bit less powder.
but i really like the magtechs in large rifle..

pjh421
08-05-2008, 10:01 PM
Yep, the Dillon tech told me to use anything BUT cci when I was asking for a new magazine tube 3 or 4 years ago.

Sounds like the Mag Tech brand simply may have harder cup material since they feed well but seat harder.

I have not gone to the trouble of miking primer diameters but the CCIs have got to be at the upper level of the diameter specification. They do feed through the RCBS bench tool nicely though.

Thanks for sharing the experiences. I feel better about buying 5k knowing I won't necessarily wind up hand-seating them all.

Paul

pumpguy
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
I've used a gob of the Magtechs. I can't tell any difference between them and the American brands except for the cost.

trickyasafox
08-06-2008, 11:10 AM
I have used magtechs with no issues in large pistol, small pistol, large rifle and small rifle. the small rifle are a bit hard, the rest I can't tell.

jonk
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM
The wolfs do me fine in all sizes- I've even used them for garand and Springfield type matches.

jawjaboy
08-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Only tried Wolf SP's of the two mentioned. Worked like a champ.

Big Fella
08-11-2008, 02:40 PM
I've loaded and shot, 1,000 of the Wolf SP. Loaded on a Dillion 550 without a problem. Bought another 1000 yesterday and have 5000 on order. They went bang with my tuned Colt SAA and 73 rifle.

missionary5155
08-11-2008, 09:59 PM
I cannot say much about Magtec primers... but their 357mag 158 jacketed load is a fine shooting chunk of metal to be launching about. So I guess their primers work also... I assume they use their own ..