PDA

View Full Version : Lee factory crimp dies

nighthunter
08-03-2008, 12:53 PM
I'm haveing a problem with some of of my reloads in 30 carbine with cast bullets chambering in my Ruger Blackhawk revolver. Cases are all under max length. I have never found one over max length. Reloads seem to be slightly bulged on one side of the case. I believe this to be a problem from an incorrectly shaped seating stem. Will the use of a Lee factory crimp die help to solve this proplem rather than a custom seating stem?

Nighthunter

DLCTEX
08-03-2008, 03:33 PM
I don't think it will correct your problem as it only uses a carbide ring on these cases and the offset will just move over and follow the shape as it is. If it was a collet neck sizing die, it might help, but it is not available in 30 Carbine. What brand is the die? DALE

mooman76
08-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Yes the Lee FCD should do the job. It will crimp without bulging the case! You could try backing off of the crimp a little that you are doing and that might help keep it from bulging.

runfiverun
08-03-2008, 08:56 PM
the 30 carbine headspaces on the case mouth.
the bulge is from the boolit being seated off center.
if you don't like the flash-bang of the carbine pistol try this.
re-neck some 32-20 cases to your boolit [neck tension] about 313-312 in mine.
fireform, resize& trim .0015 to .0020 off them. and load a 32-20 load in them.
mine likes 3.5 gr 700-x. over the rcbs 32 cal 98 gr boolit.
this turns the pistol into a 327 federal if the cases will take it. or if you want to.
and it also head spaces off the rim.
i tried it with 25-20 cases but their rims are thicker and some would bind the cylinder.

nighthunter
08-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Do you do this loading with 32-20 dies or 30 carbine dies? Sounds interesting enough to try it. I just want to make sure I understand the whole process first.
Nighthunter