PDA

View Full Version : Shot Some New (To Me) Pistols Today

EMC45
08-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Got out to the Legion range today and did some shooting. A buddy from Church was there and let me shoot his Sig P238 and his new Shield in .45 ACP. Both very nice pistols. All were shot with factory ammo.

I also got a chance to work through some targets with a few wheelguns, .380s and a 1911. All my loads were handloads and were cast.

All in all a good day at the range.

GARD72977
08-25-2017, 11:12 PM
Im always wrapped up in training with my pistol. Every thing is on the timer trying to beat my last drill. Never shoot my friends guns.

Im a little burnt out. Sounds like good times with friends. I need to get back to some of that!

Is this trip to the range going to cause a trip to the gun store?

tazman
08-25-2017, 11:21 PM
I understand the drive for improvement when you compete regardless of the discipline. Been there and done that. Just not in your discipline.
I just compete against my self and a few friends now. I am old enough and slow enough now I can't do the fast stuff anyway.
I had the opportunity to return the favor for some people at the range last week. They were trying to decide on a handgun and as it happened, I had 2 of the ones they were thinking about with me.
We got to make friends and they got to try out some handguns they found interesting. I don't know what they will decide, but maybe I helped them out a bit.
Another good day at the range.

Bmi48219
08-26-2017, 12:59 AM
I was at the range yesterday. Spent a half hour trying to diagnose a cycling problem in a new pistol. Frustrated, I switched to punching holes with my.30 carbine AutoMag III. A kid ( I say kid but he was probably in his mid-30's) in the next lane thought my A-Mag was a 1911. I set up a new target (1 1/2 inch square orange sticky on a piece of recycled printer paper) and gave him two 5 round magazines & the pistol. He really enjoyed it. I was packing up when he asked if I wanted to try out his new 1911, A fresh from the FFL new Nighthawk 45. That kid made my day.
As Taz said I mostly compete against myself. Sometdays I lose & someday I'm pleasantly surprised, but a trip to the range is never disappointing.

EMC45
08-26-2017, 08:52 AM
Im always wrapped up in training with my pistol. Every thing is on the timer trying to beat my last drill. Never shoot my friends guns.

Im a little burnt out. Sounds like good times with friends. I need to get back to some of that!

Is this trip to the range going to cause a trip to the gun store?

Not anytime soon. There are some nice ones out there waiting to come home with me, but my wallet just doesn't know it yet.....

I was just mainly shooting zerox paper stapled to the backer. No dots, targets, spots etc. I was just trying to make them all touch from 15 yds and in.

GARD72977
08-27-2017, 11:35 AM
We are always chasing that edge over the next guy. If you are not in organized competition the gun you have is fine for target shooting.

When I was younger i bought a Marlin 44mag used for 175.00 . i had a lot of fun shooting small clusters opensighted at 25 yds. I sold it to buy something better. If I would have pushed myself to shoot at 50yds the gun would have remained funfor a long time. I sold the gun because my groups at 50 sucked. It was not the gun it was me.

sorry just rambling