PDA

View Full Version : Just one of my many unfinished projects!

Boz330
08-03-2008, 11:52 AM
Buddy of mine owed me some money several years back ($60). So he calls one Saturday and says that some guy has a Sharon 58 cal RB barrel for $50 at there gun club trade day, am I interested? He!! yes, been thinking I need a Hawkin in that caliber. He did most of the work on it after I bought another 4 or 5 hunert dollars worth of parts.
Anyway it has been sitting in a corner for the last couple years with no progress. Friday he came down to visit and he says let's take that thing out and shoot it for grins and giggles, I want to see it knock you silly.
So yesterday morning I cast up some RBs and Minis and we go out back and proceed to blaze away at 50yd. The first 2 balls are under an inch and about 8 inches low and 3 inches right. We then try a couple Minis (480grs), it puts them in the same group. We filed the front sight and fired some more RBs and the group moves up a little and spreads a little but I am shooting offhand, not my strong suite for sure. After shooting about 15 or 20 shots we quit because it is just hotter than Hates and drinking beer is sounding like a better idea.
Now I'm all fired up to get this thing done before ML season, to say I'm tickled is a vast understatement. I always knew Sharon made good barrels but this is a dream. And the clean up was a total of about 9 patches and that was using 3 at a time cuz I had the wrong jag. That barrel is soooo smoooooth there wasn't hardly any fowling left in it.:bigsmyl2:

:drinks:
Bob

missionary5155
08-03-2008, 02:20 PM
I have had a Navy Zouve for 20 years.. shot all my first gun deer with it. 85 grains of Pyro Rifle, .57 patched ball and it will group near 1 inch at 50 yards all day long. I shot some Mini´s but they never came near what a patched ball will do....
GREAT SHOOTING tool... 58 will do perminent destuction on all it wits in the right place.

madcaster
08-03-2008, 04:23 PM
Great work in progress,why not finish the job out!?
Great deal as well,as a set of parts like this costs $500.00 and UP,with the emphasis on UP!!!

Boz330
08-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Back in the mid to late 70s Sharon was offering Hawkin kits and I remember them being out of my price range but don't remember the actual price.
When I go to Friendship I am amazed at the price of MLs but you know there is a pile of labor in a well made gun. And some of them are true works of art. Personally I tend to lean towards the plain jane utilitarian guns, but I can still drool over an ornate ML as well with a beautiful peice of wood.

Bob

reivertom
08-19-2008, 05:23 PM
Looks like all it needs is a little finish work. Heck....that's the fun part! Sand it, stain it, and slick it!

northmn
08-26-2008, 04:58 PM
Stock work requires some aggressive rasping, but she should go. This is the part of building that is most interesting and can create the most impatience. It looks almost done but still takes a while to do a good job. Lots of guns have been shot before final finishing. A few have even taken deer.

Northmn

Boz330
08-26-2008, 08:10 PM
Stock work requires some aggressive rasping, but she should go. This is the part of building that is most interesting and can create the most impatience. It looks almost done but still takes a while to do a good job. Lots of guns have been shot before final finishing. A few have even taken deer.

Northmn

This one might as well.
My hunting buddy couldn't wait to try out a new barrel so he taped the barrel to a stock that was already finished with masking tape and took it to a match. That gun still has the tape on it and the barrel isn't finished yet. That was almost 30 years ago. In it's defence it has won a bunch of matches. A Bill Large barrel no less. Bill probably rolls over in his grave everytime it is shot.

Bob

northmn
08-27-2008, 10:07 PM
Thats one reason I didn,t build my own garage. I knew that once I got it so the car had a roof thats as far as I likely would go. I do like to shoot heavy recoiling guns before they are finished, like the 12 ga shotgun, I am building now to make sure the stock fits and doesn't kick me in the face. I have done that, but then take them apart and start finishing.

Northmn