PDA

View Full Version : Texas Storm

jsizemore
08-25-2017, 06:34 PM
Good Luck to you folks in the coming days. Be safe.

SSGOldfart
08-25-2017, 06:43 PM
We'll try already have internet troubles,but that's gonna get worse as the water rises, my duck boat is ready to go if needed.
Here we go again...:evil:

Jniedbalski
08-25-2017, 06:47 PM
Me and the wife are watching the news. Her dad lives outside of Victoria tx. It is supposed to get bad there

DerekP Houston
08-25-2017, 06:53 PM
Raining here in houston and crazy people but that's it so far. Making some red beans and rice for dinner ;).

SSGOldfart
08-25-2017, 07:28 PM
Enjoy those beans and rice, rice could be expensive next year.the rice farmers are trying to beat the storm with their harvest but most aren't going to make it. Most of the crop will be a loss this year.
Hang in there guys it's already getting pretty deep

Treetop
08-25-2017, 07:29 PM
Mrs. Treetop and I just finished moving our livestock to a different pasture. It's plenty high with lots of cover and has a shed they can get under.

A couple of the spaghetti models show Harvey looping around right over the Brazos river valley here in south central Texas but they are still all over the place due to the weak steering currents.

Unfortunately, we tend to lose power and Internet service regularly out here in the sticks so if you don't hear from me for a while, we'll be OK just without modern conveniences for a while. Treetop

Boaz
08-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Good deal Derek , stay safe brother .
Live cam Galveston tx ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=803YUHoiXmo

Boaz
08-25-2017, 07:38 PM
You guys in the south hunker down . Supposta stall and much rain . GOD bless .

woodbutcher
08-25-2017, 07:43 PM
:) Wishing you folks in Texas the best.Hang on tight.Been there done that growing up in Florida.God bless and keep ya all safe.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

SSGOldfart
08-25-2017, 07:44 PM
Mrs. Treetop and I just finished moving our livestock to a different pasture. It's plenty high with lots of cover and has a shed they can get under.

A couple of the spaghetti models show Harvey looping around right over the Brazos river valley here in south central Texas but they are still all over the place due to the weak steering currents.

Unfortunately, we tend to lose power and Internet service regularly out here in the sticks so if you don't hear from me for a while, we'll be OK just without modern conveniences for a while. Treetop

Let's hope them models are wrong we don't need another flood. Just about got the last flooding repairs done.

DerekP Houston
08-25-2017, 07:50 PM
Enjoy those beans and rice, rice could be expensive next year.the rice farmers are trying to beat the storm with their harvest but most aren't going to make it. Most of the crop will be a loss this year.
Hang in there guys it's already getting pretty deep

hmm didn't think of that, I'll buy a large sack from Sam's after this current mess is over to hedge my bets.

Boaz
08-25-2017, 08:01 PM
Yea , folks don't know how much of the domestic supply comes from Texas . You don't ever hear how much the state produces .

meotai
08-25-2017, 08:03 PM
Let's hope them models are wrong we don't need another flood. Just about got the last flooding repairs done.

The forecasters hope they're wrong themselves too.

https://spacecityweather.com
There are 3 models, & they all predict bad floods, really bad floods, or really really bad floods.

slim1836
08-25-2017, 08:08 PM
Glad I'm inland (south Fort Worth), going to get rain but no storms. Ya'll hunker down and be safe.

Slim

SciFiJim
08-25-2017, 09:08 PM
I am in San Antonio. It was supposed to start raining here at 1PM. They keep moving the time for the arrival back. We are still dry. Beginning to wonder if we are going to get any rain at all or is it just going to dump on the coast.

abunaitoo
08-25-2017, 09:50 PM
To all our friends in Texas.
Please keep safe.

DerekP Houston
08-25-2017, 09:58 PM
So far so good here in Houston. Rockport and Corpus Christi appear to be getting hammered pretty good, I see it has been upgraded to Cat 4 now. It's in God's hands now luckily beer supplies are holding steady.

texasnative46
08-25-2017, 10:00 PM
ScifiJim,

I'm in 78208 & Channel 4 is saying now that we will likely get 12-16 inches of rain over the next 3 days.

Can you say FLOODING, children?? - Sure you can.

yours, tex

JBinMN
08-25-2017, 10:16 PM
Best wishes!, Good smoke & prayers to those who may be in harms way!

Ya'll take care & be safe!

Boolit_Head
08-25-2017, 10:33 PM
This is going to be one wild ride for the next few days. Luckily I am high and dry on the West side of H town where there is good drainage. We've weathered a few hurricanes out here. Pantry is full and a grill and dry charcoal in the garage so we'll make out fine even if we loose power for an extended period.

This one is a odd one going to sit on land for a day near Corpus then back out over the water and head north for Houston. I'm imagining we'll feel it through next Tuesday, longer around me for the road to work to drain. I have to drive through a Depression era Army Corp of Engineers Drainage area to get to work. That could take another week to drain.

Huntsman52
08-25-2017, 10:35 PM
Still going strong in Sugar Land. Smoked a Brisket and Stuffed Pork Loin today. Rain is off and on but rather dull for today. Tomorrow may be more eventful. Per the clerk at specks the Hurricane mix sold as fast as the water!

lightman
08-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Hope you guys weather this ok. Looks to be a bad one!

texasnative46
08-25-2017, 11:02 PM
BoolitHead,

With any luck at all, my lady will escape from Houston early tomorrow AM, as there is forecasted to be a 2 hour break in the storm. = She will ready to leave town at 0500.

Wishing you/yours all the BEST over the next week.

yours, tex

MaryB
08-25-2017, 11:10 PM
Prayers for those in the bullseye, stay safe everyone and evac if you can safely!

huntersdog
08-25-2017, 11:38 PM
Prayers for all of you in the south. Stay safe and if you can evacuate your family and stay safe.

w5pv
08-26-2017, 07:08 AM
I hope and pray that everyone will be safe from all the rain.We are suppose to get quiet abit over the next few days.I think that we will be ok if there is a time period between the storms that will give the water time to run off.The amounts posted will not hurt all that much if given a little time to run off and drain the ditches befor the next down pour.

Boaz
08-26-2017, 07:52 AM
Harvey , happenings in Texas ;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH08lJQb5rE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dom8WMdjBYo

DerekP Houston
08-26-2017, 08:07 AM
Looks like we've got more on the way, still spinning around to the west of Houston. So far so good here.

jeepyj
08-26-2017, 08:26 AM
My brother has a place in Rockport. It's his weekend getaway and he lives in San Antonio. He getting double whacked. My thoughts and prayers are with all of out Texas freinds.

bedbugbilly
08-26-2017, 09:21 AM
Thoughts and prayers to all of you Texans - be safe.

texasnative46
08-26-2017, 01:01 PM
To Those members Who Have Asked,

My lady is still stranded in Houston. She is SAFE, at least for now. = The forecasted "break" in the weather has NOT happened yet. - The NWS says that it likely will occur about 1500-1800 today.
(She is "sitting on ready" to escape to The Alamo City until the mess ends. - I just talked to her by phone about 10 minutes ago.)
Fwiw, she FINALLY got on I-10 about 1700.

THANKS to All for your good wishes & prayers.

ADDENDA: 26AUG17 @ 1335hrs. = My lady will be departing Houston as soon as the rain slacks off enough for her to get to the minivan W/O getting soaked to the skin. Likely W/I 30 minutes or so.

Again THANKS to all who messaged me about their wishes/prayers. = We have GREAT folks here.

yours, tex

texasnative46
08-26-2017, 09:24 PM
To All,

Fwiw, my lady was "turned around & ordered home" by a DPS trooper, due to road conditions about 30 miles outside of the Houston city limits. = I'm grateful that she's back at "a place of safety" & OK, as of about 2000 hours.
(Evidently, the weather conditions are QUICKLY deteriorating west of Houston.)

yours, tex

DerekP Houston
08-26-2017, 09:25 PM
To All,

Fwiw, my lady was "turned around & ordered home" by a DPS trooper, due to road conditions about 30 miles outside of the Houston city limits. = I'm grateful that she's back in "a place of safety" & OK.

yours, tex

Yeah it's pretty rough out there to be driving. Glad she made it back safe, might delay plans but just wait it out.

Treetop
08-26-2017, 09:39 PM
Here in south central Texas (n. of Lake Somerville) the wind is steady at 15-18 mph with gusts approaching 30. We've had between 4 and 5 inches of rain since last night but we still have electricity and Internet service! I can't believe that those have lasted this long.

We still have a long way to go before this storm is over, thanks for the prayers. Oh yeah, that reminds me; we got an email today cancelling church services in the morning, I think that's a first for our little country church! Treetop

Treetop
08-26-2017, 09:50 PM
ETA: I just killed my first copperhead of the storm a few minutes ago, just 2 steps from the barn door. During the warm months, the first chamber up on my S&W 638 is a Speer shot cartridge, for this very reason. Be careful, this heavy flooding is just starting so keep an eye out and watch where you step! Treetop

texasnative46
08-26-2017, 10:27 PM
Treetop,

The local game wardens here in SA are saying, "Watch out for rattlesnakes", which are the majority of poisonous snakes around here & "They are being driven out of their hiding places & aren't happy about it."

WELCOME HOME & SEMPER FI, my brother-in-arms.

yours, tex

DerekP Houston
08-26-2017, 10:29 PM
Here in south central Texas (n. of Lake Somerville) the wind is steady at 15-18 mph with gusts approaching 30. We've had between 4 and 5 inches of rain since last night but we still have electricity and Internet service! I can't believe that those have lasted this long.

We still have a long way to go before this storm is over, thanks for the prayers. Oh yeah, that reminds me; we got an email today cancelling church services in the morning, I think that's a first for our little country church! Treetop

Yikes glad I pulled my boat up out of somerville it probably would be underwater by now.

texasnative46
08-26-2017, 10:42 PM
DerekP Houston,

It doesn't float??
(CHUCKLE)

yours, tex

MaryB
08-26-2017, 10:53 PM
Better to stay safe than take risks in bad weather! Take a risk then public safety has to risk their lives to get you out.

texasnative46
08-26-2017, 11:02 PM
MaryB,

While I'm somewhat disappointed that she's not here, I'm very PLEASED that she's SAFE & SOUND where she is staying tonight.

yours, tex

myg30
08-27-2017, 08:03 AM
Prayers for all of you in this storm. Water is Powerful, don't take chances if not nessary.
I guess even the storms are Big in Texas !

Mike

DerekP Houston
08-27-2017, 08:53 AM
DerekP Houston,

It doesn't float??
(CHUCKLE)

yours, tex

Heh the boat would float but the wind and waves would go over the bow easy enough. Don't take much to sink my little aluminum boat. We've gotten a lot of rain dumped on us here but so far so good.

texasnative46
08-27-2017, 11:42 AM
DereckP Houston,

IF your "tin boat" sinks, it needs MORE flotation. - Fyi, I've added additional foam (at a cost of about 15.oo) to my 1953 StarCraft 15 foot "open fisherman".
(I have 3 tin boats from 13-18 feet right now & all they will still float when filled with water to the gunnels.)

I invite you to join our "tin boats" website, as it has a great deal of GOOD information & a heard of "tin boat fanatics". Membership is free.
(Our group is at: www.forums.TinBoats.net)

yours, tex

David2011
08-27-2017, 02:04 PM
Wishing that all of you along the Texas Gulf Coast the best. All of my immediate family lives in League City except my brother and his wife that are in the Cypress area (NW Houston). Parents are in their 80s. Water got really close to their house overnight but receded earlier today. My brother expects to be flooded today or tomorrow if the rain keeps up. My sister lives in a condo along Clear Creek in Webster. She's unable to leave, water is several feet deep at the bottom of the stairs into her condo. People have turned a nearby bridge into a parking lot to keep their cars above the flood. The bridge is high enough to allow a 40'-50' motoryacht pass so it's well above the water level. It's a helpless feeling to be 600 miles away and unable to help anyone.

texasnative46
08-27-2017, 02:41 PM
David2011,

Understood. = Your family has been added to the house prayer list.

Fwiw, my lady is stranded in Houston & I've about given up trying to get her OUT anytime soon OR me going there.. But "D" is safe as of now.
(I just got off the phone with her & she says that the area around where she is staying looks like a swimming pool.)

yours, tex

MaryB
08-27-2017, 10:46 PM
My 1979 Alumacraft T-14 floated well when swamped. Sat high enough to still use the outboard. Was next to impossible to flip over and have it stay upside down, it rotated back upright(we tried playing around in the swimming area at the lake).

DereckP Houston,

IF your "tin boat" sinks, it needs MORE flotation. - Fyi, I've added additional foam (at a cost of about 15.oo) to my 1953 StarCraft 15 foot "open fisherman".
(I have 3 tin boats from 13-18 feet right now & all they will still float when filled with water the gunnels.)

I invite you to join our "tin boats" website, as it has a great deal of GOOD information & a heard of "tin boat fanatics". Membership is free.
(Our group is at: www.forums.TinBoats.net)

yours, tex

MaryB
08-27-2017, 10:48 PM
Heard from cousins, all but 2 made it to a safe location. 2 stayed behind to guard the house form looters. They were still 3-4 feet above water yesterday late so I hope they stay safe. Cell service has been hit and miss out of the area so no update today.

DerekP Houston
08-27-2017, 10:49 PM
well the pounding rain is back again, hopefully i won't need to resort to the boat. Job office is closed for the time being so we're just riding out the storm now and waiting for sunshine.

WFO2
08-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Central Tx here temple area lots of rain no worries. Just keeping an eye on the rivers .

Boolit_Head
08-27-2017, 11:50 PM
We just had a close call. Water rose over any levels we had ever seen before. Stayed there for about 30 minutes and went down. Had a river about 6 inches deep flowing between my house and the neighbor. Sewer was gurgling like it was getting ready to back up. Water was close to coming in the back of the house. Luckily the rain has stopped for now and the water has receded.

sawinredneck
08-28-2017, 12:52 AM
Watching different news and weather channels they are predicting 50" of rain in the area. Many places the water is starting to reced, for now. But Harvey seems to have a mind of his own. For those of you unable to catch this, it seems it has done a 180 and is heading back out to sea. This is really bad for the areas already hit as they will continue to get soaked with more rain as it moves back out.
I'm sorry, but I don't think any of you are out of the woods yet. Good luck to all of you, keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Treetop
08-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Yikes glad I pulled my boat up out of somerville it probably would be underwater by now.

Derek, the official NOAA rain gauge, located on the Somerville dam, recorded 21 point something, inches of rain as of this morning. That's very close to what we unofficially recorded here at the ranch. Check for snakes and fire ants when you get back up here because they are everywhere right now! Treetop

Treetop
08-28-2017, 11:38 PM
WELCOME HOME & SEMPER FI, my brother-in-arms.

yours, tex

Thanks and same to you! Semper Fi, Treetop

Echo
08-29-2017, 12:01 PM
Haven't spoken to my Sis this AM, but they are high & dry at last conversation yesterday AM. They are on the East side, near Edgebrook that ALWAYS floods, but no problem 1/4 mile away. They haven't been down to Galveston, so no idea the status of cabin (on stilts) toward Aransas Pass. Niece has a cabin next door (acre lots) that has some structure at ground level, and that will probably have to be replaced.

popper
08-29-2017, 01:56 PM
Daughter is near 610 on the north side - water up in the yard yesterday but still OK. Trapped there with 2 teenagers going stir crazy. They were going to come to DFW for the weekend but doubt that will happen. Hope the Guard is in force to stop looting.

Boolit_Head
08-29-2017, 02:08 PM
I'll tell you folks in Houston have stepped up big time. HEB is wonderful, had to wander out to restock on perishables like milk for my grandson. There was a line around the store at HEB but I was in the store within a few minutes. People were being very civil and nice with smiles on their faces. It looked like HEB had brought in folks from other stores to help out and they were doing their best to keep the shelves full. You might not have gotten the brand or particular type of what every you wanted but there was something there. I saw the milk counter emptied and 5 minutes later it was full again. No loaves fresh bread but there was lots of frozen. Surprisingly there were lots of eggs.

From what we hear HEB asked FEMA to get out of their way. They rolled in several semi truck sized mobile kitchens all over the area and started feeding people along with some mobile pharmacy's. Sounds like they could teach some of the disaster preparedness folks some lessons.

abunaitoo
08-29-2017, 05:55 PM
Who is HEB????
They sound like they know what their doing.

DerekP Houston
08-29-2017, 06:02 PM
Who is HEB????
They sound like they know what their doing.

HEB is one of the largest grocery chains in the state. We are pretty fortunate to have such a large location right up the road from us, and every brand that is in the state on the same roads. We may be stuck here for a bit, but as of now the stores are still being restocked somehow. Our regular grocery list is getting a bit longer than normal but we aren't going to go stop in for anything until we have to. Lots of folks much worse off that might need it than us.

MaryB
08-29-2017, 11:04 PM
I have been monitoring the STX ham radio emergency net. Picked up 3 health and welfare message for people with family in SW MN. Called them to let them know family was safe and where they were at. All 3 people i talked to broke down crying they were so happy to hear family was safe. Been quite a few people picking up messages for family. I guess cell service is still spotty to gone in a lot of areas.

GhostHawk
08-30-2017, 07:58 AM
Good on you Mary! Bless you for that.

WFO2
08-30-2017, 01:26 PM
You guys down south hang
tough we did not get as much as expected so we are pretty much normal .

abunaitoo
08-30-2017, 05:23 PM
We have a huge homeless problem here. Their all over the place.
Does Texas have a homeless problem????
What would happen to them in this storm?????

Saw a report of a news reporter reporting looting going on.
Public slammed him for reporting it.
I can see both sides.
It is stealing, but it is also surviving.

Texans are strong outdoor people. Majority know how to live off the land.
If it happened in a big city, more lives would have been lost.

DerekP Houston
08-30-2017, 05:51 PM
We have a huge homeless problem here. Their all over the place.
Does Texas have a homeless problem????
What would happen to them in this storm?????

Saw a report of a news reporter reporting looting going on.
Public slammed him for reporting it.
I can see both sides.
It is stealing, but it is also surviving.

Texans are strong outdoor people. Majority know how to live off the land.
If it happened in a big city, more lives would have been lost.

Houston is the 4th largest city in the country and we are basically underwater at this point. Looters will be prosecuted with extreme prejudice. The homeless and folks stuck in low lying areas have been moved to shelters but last I saw the situation was deteriorating downtown. With the break in the storm for now and the chance of it swinging back for another go we decided to hit the road and will be in Dallas for the next week to see how things go.

When we past over the creeks/rivers upstream even they were flooding into surrounding territory, the Navasota river was shocking to me I'd already seen the overflows near our neighborhood. Mandatory evacuations are still going on now as the levees and reservoirs have filled to beyond max capacity. There's just no where for the water to go, I stopped measuring the flow after 3'.

TXGunNut
08-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Good points, Derek. Be safe in your travels. Knowing the folks in Houston like I do I'd say stealing is a very poor survival plan considering all that is going on down there. Folks know the police probably won't be able to help them and will deal with thieves as they see fit.

DerekP Houston
08-30-2017, 06:33 PM
Another infograph for the water, this was prior to the revised estimates of 12-15 trillion

popper
08-30-2017, 07:55 PM
Derek may be in DFW longer than he thins. Gas is getting short. Wife checked 3 stations today, they were out yesterday. QT is rationing supply to stations. refinery's are closed, lots in storage but no way to haul it out. Gulf coast is mostly silt so expect the sink holes will really show up now. That much water liquefies the soil.

1911sw45
08-30-2017, 07:56 PM
Stepson just called and said his national guard unit has been put in stand by. To be deployed to Tx.

starmac
08-30-2017, 09:13 PM
I just got off the phone with a friend in Alvin. He wound up getting 3 inches in his house, and is now in drying out mode.
Another friend has returned home in rockport, he lives in a mobile home so vacated before it hit. He lost some trees but lucked out with zero damage other than the trees.

gpidaho
08-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Good to see your name back on the board starmac. Uncle Warren in the outskirts said He's dry indoors but his rain gauge showed 30.32" That's a LOT of water. Hoping for relief for you all in Texas. Gp

texasnative46
09-12-2017, 04:37 PM
Dear Friends,

For all of you who have asked, my much beloved lady, her elder brother & their uncle are OUT of "THE MESS" since last Friday & are now (more or less) settled into 2 new apartments in McKinney, TX.
(We managed to get the 2014 Honda C-RV out without it being flooded but Peter lost his year-old Chevy truck to the storm. = When last seen, it was under several feet of water.)

All 3 have lost essentially everything but the C-RV & a FEW clothes. = I bought my lady at least part of a new wardrobe & Peter/Howard got shoes/jeans/shirts enough for now.
New (leased) furniture is to be delivered/set-up this afternoon by 1630, too, at both apartments.

All FOUR of us consider ourselves to be LUCKY & BLESSED, when compared to most of Harvey's countless victims.

IF you pray, PRAY FOR the storm's victims, as I cannot adequately describe the carnage that I saw when we got the 3 out of the storm area. = For ONCE, the "news media" has UNDER-REPORTED the damages, violence, looting, etc. that happened in many areas of South TX. - In some areas, the situation is MUCH worse than the media says that it is.

yours, tex