PDA

View Full Version : Bowling with a .45 auto, Update,again.

looseprojectile
08-03-2008, 11:24 AM
As you have read earlier, I have been shooting pins and having some good and some not so good results.
I traded for a used Para Ordnance P-14 .45, a couple of months ago. I have shot it several times with different loads and have always experienced some leading just in front of the chamber. Tried soft and hard alloy and several lubes and always got more leading than I would like.
Solved the problem. Took me about an hour and fifteen minutes.
I poured a lead lap and used some 280 grit lapping compound on it. After I lapped it with just one lapping session I felt I had the grooves really smooth. I then polished the bore with J&B And now this gun will not lead with any of some the left over loads that were previously giving me unacceptable leading.
I have never firelapped a barrel as it seems easier to me to pour a lead lap as I have all the equipment at hand and I feel I have more controll over the process this way.
If I were making and selling guns I would be ashamed to send out a gun with a barrel as lumpy as this one was. This gun would never need to be cleaned now except for the soot from powder and lube. Life is good

HeavyMetal
08-03-2008, 11:47 AM
One of the guys I work with bought a Charles Daly 1911 clone in 45 auto.

This thing has some nice feature's for the price but apprently a smooth barrel wasn't a requirement.

20 rounds had this thin leaded to the gills! After cleaning the bore looked like a used corncob!

No way to fix this! He had two: option's wrassle with the maker and maybe get a better barrel or bite the bullet and buy an aftermarket barrel.

Realizing he might be months away from a "Factory solution" he opted to purchase a Bar Sto Barrel as a replacement.

It was a good choice!

He also looks down the barrel of every gun he even thinks he want to buy!

To bad the manufacturers won't increase thier QC efforts or honor reasonable expectations of the products they make. Read about Buckshot's highwall issue in single shot rifles

NSP64
08-03-2008, 02:24 PM
I bought me a cheapo High Standard .45 1911 and have shot nuthing but cast in it ( Lee 200gr SWC over 5.2gr unique won the July military shoot) I guess they got the barrel right. I had to firelap my new Ruger SBH .44.:drinks:

runfiverun
08-03-2008, 08:28 PM
um hmm..