PDA

View Full Version : Finally got the nephew to slow down

Jack Stanley
08-03-2008, 10:55 AM
He is one that loves deer hunting and shooting but he has no real structure to his shooting . This past winter on a cold and blustery day he brought one of his inherited rifles over to shoot ..... a Remington seni-auto chambered for 30-06 .

Friday he brought over the other rifle , a #1mkIII made in 1918 by LSA and stamped NZ . Since he only cares about the shooting of it , he doesn't mind that it's been "sporterized" . I cleaned the bore of it and slugged the throat and loaded a couple rounds for him to shoot . I can't say he's hooked and is gonna start practicing regularly , but maybe he won't want to use my 1903 all the time now [smilie=1:

Jack

pjh421
08-03-2008, 01:56 PM
When I was young I couldn't stand the thought of using a single shot. It just didn't fit my concept of what shooting was about. Never mind that I couldn't actually connect with a target. Later, I became curious as to just how a person could predict where a bullet would go. The rest is history. Keep working with him. He'll come around.

Paul

jonk
08-04-2008, 08:30 PM
Until I was about 18 all I wanted to shoot was reactive targets- spinning gongs, glass bottles in the dump, clay pigeons, etc.

I'll still shoot them but now I mainly do targets- much more satisfying to know my group size rather than just "I hit it somewhere so it dun broke"

Freightman
08-05-2008, 01:16 PM
I went through the simi- auto phase traded of all my bolt actions, got tired of thirty round mags got back into bolt actions, then I got a Buffalo Classic 45/70, then traded for a 1867 Danish Rolling block, then traded all the simi- autos for a Shiloh Sharps. Is there another cal except 45/70?

Jack Stanley
08-06-2008, 09:26 PM
I haven't got the nephew behind the buttplate of the 1895 yet . Not sure quite how he go with that one .

Jack

mooman76
08-06-2008, 10:21 PM
That's why I believe someone starting out should start with a single shot. One tends to take better aim when you have to take the time to load a bullet after every shot.

Jack Stanley
08-07-2008, 10:44 PM
He's been using my 1903 the last couple times , I'm hoping to get some ammo loaded for his 303 and get him hooked on casting and loading his own .

Jack