PDA

View Full Version : Another lube question but different

arcticbreeze
08-03-2008, 10:35 AM
I have done many searches on this site and have read allot but have not found the answer yet. I am looking for a lube primarily for 200 gr. TC 40 s&w. I am not concerned about performance because at my velocities and short ranges (IPSC) I believe just about any lube will due. I am using a Lyman 4500 for size and lube. Volume is the key for me right now. I would like to be able to cast, size and lube boolits that I can store already lubed in small plastic (16 oz deli style) ready to load on my progressive press. The lubes I have used so far have remained sticky and migration has been a problem. I have a heater now for my 4500. Any suggestions would be great. Commercial casters ship their lubed bullets in boxes all the time so it has to be feasible. Is it the lube they are using or a specific process? All advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks everyone

anachronism
08-03-2008, 11:04 AM
My favorite hard lube is Thompsons Blue Angel. I've used a lot of it in 45 ACP without issue. It will stay where you put it, and not get messy. Some guys here have had success with Magmas lube, which I hated. It was much cheaper that Thompsons, the last time checked.

HeavyMetal
08-03-2008, 11:54 AM
I have also found Blue Angel to stay where it's put and not get sticky when exposed to heat extremes cause by the weather.

I've also put some motor mica on other lubes to fight the sticky issue and it has worked well.

Currently using Carnuba Red. Just started in fact, and I have noted some of my 38's were sticking together but I think thats because I left them in the container they landed in when I put them through my Star.

I don't think it's the lube I think I had the heater on to long making the lube to soft!

yodar
08-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Thompson's Blue Angel is excellent but I use Lithi-Bee (Adrian's Goo) and Saeco Green.

Goo needs no heater but is tacky and "changes" (-shrinks-in storage)

Green seems to survive storage without change and is good enough for rifle velocities

see well writ sticky for recipes

*I used Gulf Canning Paraffin, no candle wax , except a piece of green votive for color) as John Paul Jones suggested

yodar

DLCTEX
08-03-2008, 03:17 PM
Carnuba Red, in hot weather I don't have to run heat with it. DALE

runfiverun
08-03-2008, 08:26 PM
try jakes ceresin it is a hard lube takes heat and works far better then magma's.
i have pushed the purple up to 2100 and as low as 750 fps with no problems.
i found him and lars's stuff on the evil-bay.

arcticbreeze
08-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I just ordered some of jake's purple and will give that a try first because i really don't want to make my own. I just melted the BAC out of the Lyman 4500. Boy was that an experience that i don't want to do to many times.