PDA

View Full Version : 10.35x47r ITALIAN VETTERLI: Cheap and easy.

Drydock
08-24-2017, 08:06 PM
I did a search, and no one else seems to do it this way, so I thought I might post this. :coffee:

Guy on "Etsy" forms brass from 8x50r Lebel. Well annealed, shoulder forms on firing. After the first firing I trim if needed with a Lee 44-40 cutter.

Neck size and decap on Lee 41 Swiss die set. Midway has these. You also need the Lee #17 shell holder, the provided one is too small for the Lebel rim. Prime, then run into a Lee universal flare die just a touch.

Fill with appropriate amount of BP. I use 60 grains OE 3f.

Use the Lee 430-310 bullet mold. This drops from my alloy at .426 just ahead of the first crimp goove, .428 on the driving bands. I dip lube it in a tuna can of 90/10 beeswax/olive oil. Unsized, no gas check. :castmine:

Seat and very lightly crimp in the 2nd groove, using the 41 swiss die.

Run into a Lee 303 Brit sizing die to taper the case into the bullet. I got a RGB 303 set for under $20, then ground off maybe a 10th" of the die base to get the taper I wanted.

These load slick and easy from the Vitali Magazine, the 1st 4 went into 3" at 100 yards. I've got about 4 firings on these cases now, they work great. 1886 Vetterli-Vitali with a beautiful mirror bore. [smilie=w:

mazo kid
08-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Some good tips there! I have made cases from both the 8mm Lebel and the Win. 348. The Lebel is easier. The Vitali case is a bit longer than the Swiss Vetterli so you have to distinguish between them, keep them separate (I have both rifles).

texassako
08-28-2017, 05:49 PM
If you searched, then you may find my way easier. No sizing in many loads with BP, proper size heeled bullet from Accurate mold dip lubed and seated on top of a case full of 2f, crimp from the top using a Lee .405 Win FCD (case will not fit proper way). Basically, fill it up, seat bullet, crimp, shoot. Many will not chamber a round with a bore sized bullet because of the original heeled bullet cartridge. I use some old military 8mm Lebel i had lying around converted to shotgun primers.