PDA

View Full Version : Houston SPCA.

Col4570
08-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Just been watching on the TV,the work of the SPCA in Houston.It is almost beyond comprehension how some people neglect animals .The scale of cruelty is staggering,rangeing from starvation,abuse and omitting to take sick animals to the vets.Some scenarios depict Dogs,Cats,Horses crawling with Maggots,looking skeletal .The SPCA along with Law enforcement Officers bring many offenders to court to face Cruelty charges.Normaly Vigilantism is a taboo subject but it makes one think along those lines when the offenders try to defend their actions.

texassako
08-24-2017, 08:09 PM
Animal cruelty is a pet peeve of mine. There are way to many people in this country who have a pet just because they can, whether or not they can care for it or not. I share a property line with a rental home. The current renter was glad I fixed the hole in the fence their dog chewed open so they could get a sixth dog, that is now just as neglected as the other five. Previous renter never cared when their 3 dogs got out. Stray cats live in our storm drains and treat any bird feeder as a buffet, until disease or coyotes get them. I picked up bicycling to get healthy a couple of years back and get around a bit in what the local call "Horse Country". Quite a few folks there need to be taught a lesson that skeletal, malnourished horses are not a good way to flaunt their wealth. Whew, interesting post to come back to the forum with.

Biggin
08-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Anybody who treats their animals poorly probably ain't much better with their kids.

Echo
08-24-2017, 08:29 PM
Anybody who treats their animals poorly probably ain't much better with their kids.
Plus One...

smokeywolf
08-24-2017, 09:08 PM
I have a particular dislike for those who abuse or neglect children and animals. There is a special spot in Hell reserved for those who abuse or neglect children and animals. Abuser/neglecters should neither be helped nor encouraged to postpone their passage to their final destination.

Col4570
08-25-2017, 07:46 AM
Yes the quiet dignity of some of the abused Animals when they are being treated by the vets indicates that they feel they are at last in good hands.Some of the abusers live in valuable properties but still they treat their animals with cruelty,others live in run down Houses that have long since lost all pretention of hygene with the Dogs, Cats ,Horses even Pigs living in squalor and without food or water.It would seem that a breed of subhumans exist to torture and abuse those creatures that share this planet with us.Jail Terms is the way to go.

Surfcat
08-25-2017, 08:30 AM
These folks are dangerous, since if they can abuse animals/kids, they could literally stab you in the back in a blink of an eye. Anyway, this lovely lady is a hoot (sarcasm):

http://www.witn.com/content/news/Investigation-underway-after-motorists-say-driver-tossed-kittens-from-car-in-New-Bern--424189314.html

bedbugbilly
08-25-2017, 11:00 AM
Unfortunately, it just isn't in Houston - it's all over. Where we are in AZ during the winter, unwanted dogs or new litters get thrown out of moving cars, horses get abandoned, etc. As far as I'm concerned, if someone is capable of doing these things, they are capable of treating others in the same manner. There are all types of people in this world and those that are cruel to animals, kids, spouses, etc. rank among the worst. And, unfortunately, many who see these abuses don't report it or do anything about it which makes them in the same class of people as far as I'm concerned.

I lost my lab/shephard mix a few years ago - the worst day of my life when I had to have her put down but she was suffering and I had exhausted every avenue in treatment. I swore I wouldn't go through that again. My wife and I never had kids so our pets have always been our "kids". One day, we went to the pet store to get a bag of food for our one remain dog and I held a small poodle that was up for adoption that had been severely abused. Just looking into her eyes I could see how much she had suffered. We ended up taking her home for the weekend to see how she would adapt to our other dog and it went fine and she has been a constant companion since. It took a few weeks for her to come around and learn to trust us, but now she is truly devoted to us and we are to her.

My point? There are a lot of abused animals out there that need a good home. What they went through is not their fault but at least they can be given the opportunity to have a secure, loving home. I know I'll be devastated when the time comes for my little poodle and I to part ways, but at least I will know that she had love and a good home. Then, there will be another one I'm sure, that needs to be "rescued" and the security of a loving home. I encourage anyone who is considering getting a new pet, to look in to "adopting" a "rescue". Yep - they may have "issues" but every animal is an "individual" and has their own personality. Given time and a loving hand, they will come around and will soon be a part of the family that you'll wonder how you ever got along with out them.

And don't forget to donate to these agencies and organizations who deal with abused and neglected animals - they need those donations in order to continue their work - and it doesn't matter if it is just $1 or $100 - every penny helps.

shooter93
08-25-2017, 06:51 PM
What needs to happen is the abuse be treated like the serious crime it is. Long jail terms etc. Personally I don't have a problem with execution. I believe those kind of people would also abuse children if they thought they could get away with it. All my animals have been rescue animals and they certainly won the lottery when I found them and brought them home. Should I ever win the lottery the ASPCA is one place that would get a huge contribution.

smokeywolf
08-25-2017, 09:25 PM
Timber (my avatar) is getting up in years (like me) and was lethargic and tried to vomit this morning. Got him into the vet right away. Complete blood & urine panels, two xrays and a couple of meds for upset stomach. Turns out Timber is in good shape for his age, size and type. His upset stomach was just one of those transitory things.
I'm not so good though; bill was $705.00.

Col4570
08-26-2017, 03:07 AM
Good on you mate,Timber is fortunate to have someone who cares.I know the Vets fees are heavy but somehow it is a payment of appreciation for the loyalty a pet can give.We had a Cat that was badly chewed up by a Fox,both Back Legs had the bones Broken and showing.it was touch and go if she survived,but a consultant surgeon took the case on and fixed her with Pins and Screws to the Tune of £1700 she went on to live another 6 years of pampering.