PDA

View Full Version : An update on my '03 and Krag

Bret4207
08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Well, it's kind of a long story. Some may recall last year I ran onto an original '03 Sedgley rebarrel with USMC markings and a cut off Krag minus a handguard.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8256&stc=1&d=1217770905
03-1.jpg

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=8257&stc=1&d=1217771012
Krag1.jpg

Well, time passed and just last week it seems the ATF showed up to do a 100% inspection. This place has been around since 1960 and their record keeping was....casual to say the least. Long story short- they went from 250+ violations down to 5. I stayed away last week to avoid stressing anyone. I finally got over on Friday the 1st and was pleasantly surprised to find the place immaculate and organized. Thats a first for these guys! My guns were found and I figured now would be a good time to remove the '03 and Krag, since the ATF would be back later. I had run onto a bunch of inexpensive hard cases (Dosko?) for $19.50 at another shop and bought 5 right off the bat. The '03 and Krag each got one. I still have to pick up the M-14 Remington 32 Rem, the Savage 99 TD in 22 Hi-Power and half octagon 99 action in 30WCF. While I was bumming around in the shop I found stuff I'd never seen before including an M1 carbine barreled action and stock I'm trying to obtain and a few other parts guns I'd like to get.

Being the true coward I am, I stored the '03 and Krag in my locker at the Barracks rather than risk walking into the house with them. SWMBO probably wouldn't have noticed, but you can't be too careful around a pre-menopausal woman dealing with 4-6 kids all day long when the humidity is 110% and the dogs have fleas. :twisted::twisted::twisted: But soon I will be able to get them home and hopefully start playing with them. Dano67 has been whining about learning to cast and reload. :roll: It's embarrassing to hear him snivel about how tough he has it and how i should keep him entertained.

I never should have told him I'd got the chickens out of the gun room!.........:mrgreen:

Buckshot
08-06-2008, 01:59 AM
..............WHAT!? You were storing your guns at the gunshop? You *****!:-) Here's what I used to do. Give the rifle to a buddy and have him bring it over that evening and say, "Here's that rifle I borrowed from you last month".

I haven't had to do that for a long time now. I don't know if Donna doesn't care, has given up, or has become simply blind to them? I had that scheutzen rifle in the cleaning cradle and she stood right there and talked to me about something or other. Now it's about as different a gun as anything I have ever had, and it's so garish and in your face. She never even glanced at it.

Both those rifles look nice from here. Especially the 'A3.

...............Buckshot

10-x
08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Educating women about guns can be dangerous, IMHO just teach them to shoot 1 or 2 pistols/revolvers, get them comfortable with a shotgun and thats it.

Knowledge in the wrong hands is dangerous.[smilie=1:[smilie=1:

Years ago had this friend that collected class 3 weapons. When he got "caught" bringing one home he always told his wife....."Oh that's Dave's or Charlie's, I'm keeping it for them till their paperwork is approved":-D:-D..wonder why they're divorced???:-?
By chance did someone make a Craig Carbine out of a rifle? can't see the front end, regardless they both look fine.

45 2.1
08-06-2008, 08:53 AM
Both those rifles look nice from here. Especially the 'A3. ...............Buckshot

03 and they do look pretty good. Slush funds must be down in the well bottom by now.

SharpsShooter
08-06-2008, 11:20 AM
I have one of each also. You will love the Krag I suspect

SS

NVcurmudgeon
08-06-2008, 11:39 AM
Bret, Plan A: be blessed with a wife who enjoys your having a lot of guns, as I do.

Plan B: when going to the range or even a gun show, load an empty case into the car,
filling it in your travels.

Bret4207
08-06-2008, 11:57 AM
Thnak you my enabling friends! 10X- the Krag has has a nicely fitted plug where the cleaning rod hole was. I think it's a simple cutdown rifle.

Buck- Got a yeller stripe a mile wide down my back. I don't mess with her!

bruce drake
08-06-2008, 03:01 PM
I would rather deal with a million screaming Jihadis than mess with my wife when it comes to funding the household.

She knows I like to buy guns. I just make sure it is when she and I agree that my purchases won't harm the kid's college funds or our bill paying. Even with those reasonable limits I still get one to two a year without a major fuss.

Bruce

P.S. I'm still very jealous of your finds. It is just because you have one less shooter in the North Country at the moment.

10-x
08-06-2008, 07:44 PM
Bret,
Thats what happened to many Craig Rifles when a Span-Am war re-enactor wanted a carbine...ruin a good rifle.:twisted:

Ventnburn
08-07-2008, 12:40 AM
So I walk in the door with the new Winny 94 Trapper in 357mag (I have wanted one for years) and announce Honey, look what I got you.

Now every time I touch the bloody thing the little red-head rips my arm off and whacks me senseless with the stump.

BUT

If the pile of loaded shells starts to get a little low guess who has to stuff the empties full of powder and lead.

Bret4207
08-07-2008, 04:29 PM
I would rather deal with a million screaming Jihadis than mess with my wife when it comes to funding the household.

She knows I like to buy guns. I just make sure it is when she and I agree that my purchases won't harm the kid's college funds or our bill paying. Even with those reasonable limits I still get one to two a year without a major fuss.

Bruce

P.S. I'm still very jealous of your finds. It is just because you have one less shooter in the North Country at the moment.

Bruce, please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers. While I know you guys have a job to do, I also pray for the day ALL of you can come home. God bless you and keep yer head down. Those gun shops will be here when ya get back bud!:drinks: