PDA

View Full Version : Pawn shop buy

clodhopper
08-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Strolling through a local pawn shop I spied two four cavity molds with handels. the moulds are similar and one handel is stamped Hensley & Gibbs. No other identyfieing marks. I am not familar with H&G products but these are diffrent from Lyman, or RCBS moulds.
One is 38 wadcutter like lyman #358459, the other is semi wadcutter with long slim truncated cone kinda like Lyman #356402 but longer plus a crimp groove.
Maybe paid to much. 50 bucks for the two. Spent a couple hours working on the sprue plate screws. One new screw and some tap and die cleanup of threads.
Still have some rust and lead stuck to them.
Going to fire up the pot tomorrow, warm them up and wipe the lead off the sprue plate, top of the blocks and the splattered faces. Put some bullplate lube on them, then see if some good boolits come out.

HeavyMetal
08-02-2008, 10:50 PM
If these are H&G molds you scored big time!

Sprue
08-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Sounds like a good score. Good luck tomorrow.

Reloading stuff seems to be kinda scarce around the pawn shops for some reason.

kingstrider
08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
I love scouring the pawn shops as you never know what you'll find.

clodhopper
08-04-2008, 12:13 AM
The ole pot hot, started pouring alloy and brushing those hot blocks. Used copper brush on the faces and cavitys and stainless brush on the out side. The blocks were stamped Hensly and Gibbs. just couldn't see it for all the patina. The blocks are a little dinged up on the top and the boolit bases have small fins where ding marks meet bullet bases. Some former owner of those moulds used a metal mallet to cut the sprue then whacked the top of the mould to drop the castings.
the boolits might be good enough to shoot minute of gopher in the Whelen.
A freind has a planer in his engine shop, might have to go see him with some cash.

Reloader06
08-04-2008, 01:10 AM
Once you get them in to shape I think you're really going to enjoy these molds. Let us know how they do for you. Congrats on your score.

Matt