PDA

View Full Version : Sierra Bullets acquired by Clarus

dragon813gt
08-22-2017, 07:40 PM
Yay, another company bought up by a holding company. Should be interesting to see how this plays out over time.

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/08/22/1091022/0/en/Clarus-Acquires-Sierra-Bullets-for-79-Million.html

osteodoc08
08-22-2017, 07:43 PM
Hope the quality they are known for doesn't slip

swheeler
08-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Me too ^^^^^^^^^^!

M-Tecs
08-22-2017, 08:04 PM
I wonder if Starline was include with that?

Budzilla 19
08-22-2017, 08:19 PM
I'm my opinion only, they will raid the bank accounts, steal the retirement accounts from their employees through some kind of bs " restructure of retirement plans ", and cut corners on quality, push production to unreasonable speeds, kill off research and development( it'll cost too much), maintenance of equipment? We don't need no stinkin maintenance! .Move out the senior officers who don't lockstep with their "forward looking plans", place unrealistic sales goals on the sales departments, and generally run it into the ground, and when the free flow cash is gone,poof! There goes another shooting sports company ran into the dirt by a bunch of knuckleheads who don't have a single d@&$ clue about the shooting sports!.........................Oh, and by the way,.................don't let me win that Powerball lottery, ill show you how fast I'll buy that Sierra bullet plant!!!!!!!! $79 million? Drop in the bucket if you win the lottery of $650 million plus!! OK, rant over. I hope I'm wrong.

johnho
08-22-2017, 08:33 PM
Now come on, they can't steal the retirement accounts. Just can't happen. Now what they can do, and I've been through this, is if they find out the retirement accounts are overfunded they will buy annuities for all beneficiaries with a guaranteed monthly payout at retirement and start the retirement plan all over again. They pocket the excess money but all employees don't really loose anything. Now the rest of what you say can happen also, been there too.

Leadmelter
08-22-2017, 09:20 PM
Send money, guns and lawyer, the sh+t has hit the fan: Warren Zevon

lightman
08-22-2017, 09:31 PM
Sierra has been been my "Go To" for decades. I hope nothing changes.

runfiverun
08-23-2017, 01:43 AM
they'll probably stop selling jackets first thing.

Thundarstick
08-23-2017, 05:47 AM
I can't get the Sierra bullets I want NOW! I guess in need to give up now!

Digital Dan
08-23-2017, 09:13 AM
Well, there is an alternative. We call them cast bullets.

Jack Stanley
08-23-2017, 09:24 AM
When the high power shooters start losing points because of the bullets they will stop buying them and ....... tell their friends .

Jack

Kestrel4k
08-23-2017, 09:49 AM
I'm guessing it will work out as well as Cerberus' acquisition of Remington, etc.

reddog81
08-23-2017, 10:02 AM
I'm my opinion only, they will raid the bank accounts, steal the retirement accounts from their employees through some kind of bs " restructure of retirement plans ", and cut corners on quality, push production to unreasonable speeds, kill off research and development( it'll cost too much), maintenance of equipment? We don't need no stinkin maintenance! .Move out the senior officers who don't lockstep with their "forward looking plans", place unrealistic sales goals on the sales departments, and generally run it into the ground, and when the free flow cash is gone,poof! There goes another shooting sports company ran into the dirt by a bunch of knuckleheads who don't have a single d@&$ clue about the shooting sports!.........................Oh, and by the way,.................don't let me win that Powerball lottery, ill show you how fast I'll buy that Sierra bullet plant!!!!!!!! $79 million? Drop in the bucket if you win the lottery of $650 million plus!! OK, rant over. I hope I'm wrong.

If you've got a favorite Sierra bullet, I'd stock up now. The quality is about to drop and prices will go up...

Texas by God
08-23-2017, 03:35 PM
Did Barnes go under? Or Speer? Same thing happened there. Maybe much ado bout nothing. I hope. They make great bullets and moving to Missouri was a great idea. I think all gun related companies should move to gun friendly states.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Blackwater
08-23-2017, 08:38 PM
Lord! I hope they're not like the folks at Remington now!!!!!!!!!!! Harvard MBA's have dang near RUINED many companies in our "modern" world! No know how - just policy wonks doing what their idjit professors told them to do! No analysis, other than stylized stuff DESIGNED from the outset to produce the data they WANT to see! No real judgment - just "policy" and "regulation." It's as if communists have taken over and are instituting new "5-year plans" all over the place!!!! But what do I know? I'm just a disgruntled redneck down in the swamps of Jawja, and my thoughts don't count for spit. But I have them anyway, whether they're "convenient" to those in power or not! Who couldn't/wouldn't in my place????

nicholst55
08-23-2017, 09:00 PM
Now come on, they can't steal the retirement accounts. Just can't happen.

You're absolutely correct. Only Congress can do that.

Leadmelter
08-23-2017, 09:05 PM
Just look at what Cerberus did to Chrysler. They came, canned some model in development, cut corners and junk cars.
Leadmelter
MI

Petrol & Powder
08-24-2017, 07:22 AM
We will have to wait and see.
They spent 79 Million to purchase Sierra so I doubt they will sell it off unless there's more than 79 million in assets there, which is unlikely.
It's an unusual market but there's room for expansion, like say providing more bullets to other companies that produce high end ammo or producing completed rounds themselves.
I think predictions of doom and gloom may be a bit premature.

DonMountain
08-24-2017, 02:42 PM
I live about 50 miles from the Sierra bullet factory in Sedalia, Missouri, and occasionally stop by there and buy up some of their reject bullets by the pound from barrels in the corner of their factory. Although I never thought their prices were all that great for these rejects, If I buy enough of them I can get them to shoot pretty well from that batch. So, my question is, should I make a trip and stop by there to stock up before things change? Although most of my shooting lately has been with cast lead projectiles.

Tenbender
08-24-2017, 05:50 PM
Could be Bloomberg. He can't get legislation to stop guns so he may be buying and shutting them down ? Just a thought .

Eldon
08-24-2017, 06:13 PM
NO, NO, NO ! Everything that is wrong is TRUMP's fault.

Sierra makes a few good varmint bullets, decent match bullets (not winning much) and obsolete hunting bullets.

I'd never risk a serious hunt on 1940s technology cup and core bullets when Nosler, Barnes and Swift are available.

Don Fischer
08-24-2017, 06:41 PM
I've never liked Sierra for hunting bullet's, were always to soft. But I do like match kings for varmint bullet's. I also like Hornady V-Max for varmint bullet's, bot very accurate. I used to really like Speer bullet's Then Vernon sold out and I didn't like the company that bought them. Different company now but haven't bought a Speer bullet in years. Loved to old Hot Core's. Something I've come to realize over the years is every company is expendable. For shooter's like myself, we have our preference's but we could go to a different bullet and do just as well. But I really would miss those SMK's!

Scorpion8
08-24-2017, 07:01 PM
Clarus is actually an established outdoors equipment company. They could just possibly have also seen value in Sierra in order to diversify their outdoors equipment offerings. Sierra Bullets is one of the "gold standard" trade names in this industry, and well worth acquiring. I also hope nothing changes or perhaps they breathe new life into the organization. Some things need a change every so often.

Rick Hodges
08-25-2017, 06:21 PM
I would use Sierra bullets with cup and core technology as long as I was shooting something with a muzzle velocity of less than 2900 fps. If I needed a heavy penetrator I would probably use a Nosler Partition, another 40's tech bullet. Why not they have been killing critters very dead for over 60 years?

GOPHER SLAYER
08-25-2017, 06:41 PM
SIERRA has been through this before. I used to live a mile from their plant in Santa Fe Springs, Ca. I stopped by one day to buy some bullets and the door was barred with a large chain and yellow ribbons. It also had a Marshals notice on the door. If you remember when that group of investors that it would be a good idea to buy 14 companies dealing with sports. They called it Leisure Group. Never mind that they didn't know jack about the various companies. The idiots took down some great old companies, High Standard, Ben Pierson Archery, Sierra Bullet and Lyman just to name a few. Some of the companies came back. others did not.

Texas by God
08-25-2017, 07:16 PM
The Sierra Pro Hunter and Gameking are some of the most accurate and deadly deer and antelope bullets made. The Matchkings hold many records. I don't think they make a bad bullet at all. Cup&core works- on big tough animals go heavyweight. I hope they remain in the buisness.

EDG
08-25-2017, 09:08 PM
I have 2 brothers. The 3 of us have killed a train load of whitetails since 1962......
We have never used a single premium bullet on deer.

I hate to tell you but cartridge cases, powder, primers and your current rifle characteristics were developed between about 1869 and 1900. Most new stuff hits the market only because they want to appeal to the first adopters and other that think they can only used modern stuff.
I would agree that scopes are better and they are now so expensive that I no longer buy them unless they are used and very clean Leupolds. But I don't buy many since I like to use metallic sights while I still can. You should try shooting 1" groups with metallic sights and cast bullets.

Sierra makes a few good varmint bullets, decent match bullets (not winning much) and obsolete hunting bullets.

I'd never risk a serious hunt on 1940s technology cup and core bullets when Nosler, Barnes and Swift are available.

BlackoutBuilder
08-25-2017, 09:11 PM
Too expensive. Hornady makes just as good a round for much less cost. I hope they fix the pricing but honestly, I think budzilla nailed it. Something about that screen name tells me he is thinking.

baogongmeo
08-25-2017, 10:12 PM
I live about 50 miles from the Sierra bullet factory in Sedalia, Missouri, and occasionally stop by there and buy up some of their reject bullets by the pound from barrels in the corner of their factory. Although I never thought their prices were all that great for these rejects, If I buy enough of them I can get them to shoot pretty well from that batch. So, my question is, should I make a trip and stop by there to stock up before things change? Although most of my shooting lately has been with cast lead projectiles.

DonMountain, I live in Sedville and will try to stop in the outlet next week and if so I'll post what I can find out.

Texas by God
08-25-2017, 11:39 PM

I'd never risk a serious hunt on 1940s technology cup and core bullets when Nosler, Barnes and Swift are available.Tell David Tubb that Sierra bullets suck.

ole_270
08-26-2017, 09:36 AM
Bullets are changing, sometimes not for the better. I use quite a few Sierras for varmints, the 165 Gameking at times in the 308, and have some 85 Gameking Hp to try in the 243. My longtime favorite Hornady flat base Interlocks have been dropped in favor of super soft SSTs and the new super-hyped and hyper priced fire proof plastic tip bullets. Speer dropped the Hot Core for a while but it seems to be back after some difficulties with it's replacement. I use the 87 and 100 Hot Core in my old 14 twist M99 Savage 250-3000. Mostly the 87 since I've found a load that shoots to the same POI as the 87 TNT I like for varmints. Nosler has finally gotten most of the Ballistic Tip hunting bullets hardened enough to make good general purpose hunting loads out of. I don't use monos since 99% of my hunting is deer and smaller and I'm normally a lung shooter.
I used to have a bullet shelf that was predominately red boxes, but anymore, it's got lots of different colors. Add the amount of hunting I'm doing with cast lead and the Sierra buyout doesn't really bother me much.

mold maker
08-26-2017, 11:01 AM

The bean counters have struck again. The above is what bean counters second job ammounts to. Their first is to seak out companies with financial and quality success to absorb into bankruptcy.

Smoke4320
08-26-2017, 11:16 AM
shot very little sierra but do hope they hang in there .. More choices is a good thing for the shooter

Der Gebirgsjager
08-26-2017, 11:50 AM

Yes, Yes, YES! Do it! A friend of mine took a trip back there from Oregon in 2004 and loaded up on the "rejects". He bought pounds and pounds of them. When he got home again he sat at the workbench with a sizing gauge he'd made from a piece of sheet metal with various holes drilled in it, determining which bullet would pass through which hole and separating them out. Took him several days. Since he was into the various .22 calibers, and in any event shot nothing larger than 6.5 and 7mm, I got everything above 7mm. Several coffee cans full of .30 and .45 cals., etc. Since I rarely shoot jacketed loads anymore I've got a lifetime supply of several bullets. There is absolutely nothing wrong with 99% of these bullets. They were probably just swept up off the shop floor at the end of a shift, containers that overflowed, etc. My buddy was originally from the Sedalia area, but had also visited Sierra when they were located in the L.A. area. I really like their Match Kings in my M1 Garands.

Elkins45
08-26-2017, 11:05 PM
One thing that can always be counted on: on the Cast Boolets forum the sky is always falling.

dragon813gt
08-26-2017, 11:09 PM
One thing that can always be counted on: on the Cast Boolets forum the sky is always falling.

Same thread is on multiple forums. The vast majority of people posting think Sierra is going to go down the drain. It's not limited to here.

Elkins45
08-27-2017, 10:18 AM
Same thread is on multiple forums. The vast majority of people posting think Sierra is going to go down the drain. It's not limited to here.

It may be the same people. Gun people are about the most fearful of change demographic there is.

I wonder if there was the same sort of dire prediction the last time they changed hands, or when they moved from California?

jem102
08-27-2017, 06:38 PM

THIS! I worked for a very good company and that is exactly what occurred when a "holding Company" bought them...

Blackwater
08-27-2017, 08:00 PM
When a new company buys out one of our long valued companies, I always try to take a "wait and see" position. But with the libs having taken over much of our nation's leading business schools ..... well, it's hard to be optimistic, and it's not getting any easier as time goes by. Accountants now control much production that DESPERATELY needs to be run by knowledgeable and experienced machinists. At a local foundry, some young manager was hired, and he set about determined to increase production. To him, all that was necessary to do that was to just .... speed up the machines! Well, he was told by all the guys who'd been running those machines for 20 years that they were ALREADY running at top speed that they could and still hold together. He wouldn't listen, and directed that the machines be sped up. Sure enough, it cost the foundry a lot of money to repair what he'd done. He wound up with his tail between his legs, but learned a lesson that machines have a natural maximum output ability, and if you try to just speed them up, you can wind up costing the company a lot MORE rather than producing more! Expertise and experience are things that accountants and MBA's just don't seem to be able to understand!

But maybe Sierra will be able to train the new "big wigs????" Only time will tell. Not everything in business is about the "bottom line!!!"

And as to cup and core bullets, they're not just sufficient, but "better than ever" now that we can control jacket thicknesses better than ever. And the day a std. cup and core bullet won't be sufficient for deer is the day that the world will probably end! So it won't matter. Yeah, there are a lot of more spendy choices available now, but what most don't realize is that what's made them "necessary" is the insatiable appetite some seem to have for ever increasing velocity, and bigger cased "magnums" that shoot bullets faster and flatter. Whatever happened to learning about holdover, and wind? Those who depend on speed will likely never learn to shoot in the wind.

In Golf, it seems most duffers want to "buy a game" by getting the latest clubs! In shooting, they want the latest whiz-bang magnum with the most highly lauded ammo and geegaws attached to it that they can get. Never realizing or appreciating that an old timer with black powder .45/70 loads would out-shoot him at 500 yds. because he KNOWS how to estimate range and what his trajectory or "comeups" are at range. Whether in business or shooting, EXPERIENCE has a flavor that no other commodity can produce. And it CAN bring the best of all possible results .... when it's allowed to act, and not penned up inside ignorance, stylish philosophies, etc.

"Can do" seems to be something only the military seems to appreciate these days!

ole_270
08-27-2017, 08:18 PM
THIS! I worked for a very good company and that is exactly what occurred when a "holding Company" bought them...

The last company I worked for started out as a small family owned machine shop specializing in aircraft parts. It was bought out in 2007 by a holding company, and things started down hill. 3 times in the following 10 years it sold to another corporation, each time getting bigger with more pressure for production, less attention to quality and certainly less employee satisfaction and benefits. I retired on the last buyout.

woodbutcher
08-27-2017, 10:38 PM
;) Well,seeing as nobody on this site has a genuine working crystal ball,it could be bad,good or somewhere in between.We`ll just have to wait and see.And hope and pray for good.
Good luck.have fun.Be safe.
Leo

baogongmeo
08-29-2017, 12:25 PM
I stopped in at the Sierra outlet yesterday. The woman at the counter said that she had not heard of any upcoming changes. There was a good selection of bullets except no .357s at all.

HP9MM
08-29-2017, 01:30 PM
RCBS is owned by a holding company which has not hurt one bit their customer service quality or of their products.