PDA

View Full Version : Inverting a Lee classic press HELP.

MyFlatline
08-21-2017, 04:42 PM
Trying to invert a Lee classic press . Have been searching but any threads that talk about swapping the linkage have photobucket pictures....BLANK. It seems there are blind pins that hold the linkage in. ANy tips on how to make these modifications?

Thanks All

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2017, 05:01 PM
One work-around for photos from the bucket, is a google image search.
search using these keywords: castboolits: Upside down press mounts

There is no need to remove the blind pins, that I know of?
No need to remove the links, I just moved the handle from the right side to the left side, then adjust the handle for comfort.

I found one of my photos

MyFlatline
08-21-2017, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the reply Jon, I see one big difference...the orientation of the press. I have my 180°. May have to work up a different type mount..

THanks.

Went out and checked, maybe not.

When the handle is down the ram is up. I can't wrap my head around how the reverse it.

Walter Laich
08-21-2017, 08:00 PM
pic looks like my setup though I did mount level on table top.

have to raise handle to lower ram but that was easy to get used to.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2017, 08:16 PM
Thanks for the reply Jon, I see one big difference...the orientation of the press. I have my 180°. May have to work up a different type mount..

THanks.

Went out and checked, maybe not.

When the handle is down the ram is up. I can't wrap my head around how the reverse it.
yours is 180º from what?

My Press is 180º from the standard mounting position.
when you look at the photo, if the handle is at 4 O'clock, the ram is up.
"pulling" the handle towards yourself lowers the Ram. It is about as normal of a feeling as there is.
The Handle is adjustable for all 360º, so whatever height your bench, (or your chair, if you sit down while sizing) you can accommodate most anything.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-21-2017, 08:23 PM
Handle at 4 O'clock, Ram up.

Handle Pulled toward yourself, now at 8 O'clock, Ram Down.

I have the Press height and Chair height, so the Press handle is at Chest level, just like sitting on a motorcycle and grabbing the handle bars.

Grmps
08-21-2017, 08:29 PM
I used the smaller Lee press, built a riser in the back for the handle to attach to, put the straps on the ramp and size on the down stroke. I've done over 30,000 resizes on this.
http://i.imgur.com/0J0atDm.jpg (http://imgur.com/0J0atDm)

Hick
08-21-2017, 10:28 PM
I use the Lee press also-- I just turned it upside down and bolted it to the bottom side of the benchtop

JBinMN
08-22-2017, 01:16 AM
Handle at 4 O'clock, Ram up.

Handle Pulled toward yourself, now at 8 O'clock, Ram Down.

I have the Press height and Chair height, so the Press handle is at Chest level, just like sitting on a motorcycle and grabbing the handle bars.

I don't know why, but the attachments do not open for me. I get this:

vBulletin Message
Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

:?

MyFlatline
08-22-2017, 06:18 AM
That's what I get also.

Jon, I work on it again this afternoon, maybe a clear head will make it all come together. Thanks

The picture links would help tho

jmorris
08-22-2017, 07:42 AM
I just mounted mine to a flat plate and then C clamp the plate to a bench.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01zbImsdkbg

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-22-2017, 10:03 AM
I don't know what happened to the images? I checked and they were gone from my image library.

I have 're-uploaded' the images.

JBinMN
08-22-2017, 10:07 AM
I am still getting the same message when I click on the pics. Just so ya know.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-22-2017, 10:23 AM
I am still getting the same message when I click on the pics. Just so ya know.
Are you seeing the pics? without clicking on them?

I just edited and uploaded new images, maybe you need to log out, then log back in?
or maybe just hit "refresh" ?

JBinMN
08-22-2017, 10:52 AM
I logged out & returned. What I see in your posts are a link saying "attachment and a number" for both of them. Like Attachment 1234456578 and no pics show up.

When I click on the links I get the message I showed before.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=202376

They are still not appearing for me.
---------------------------------------
As far as the topic goes. I have a Lee C-press that I have on a piece of square stock inside another square stop that I rotate to be normal & upside down when needed. No mods to the press have been done. so the handle swing is reversed when the press is up side down.,

If ya want to try it out, I would go with the bolted to a 1x board & use C-clamps to hold it & give it a try. If ya like it...look for a more permanent solution than the c-clamp board.
:)
G'luck!

jdfoxinc
08-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Erase your cookies and history using the tools icon on your browser.

MyFlatline
08-22-2017, 06:00 PM
Hey gang, thanks for all the help. I got the handle adjusted for a pull up to size, I was trying/thinking pull down to size. I can see I need to make an elevated stand. THe search for steel begins.

Thanks for all the input.

OS OK
08-22-2017, 07:19 PM

Over at Gtrubicon's shop...he cut this mount from a single piece of 6" tube steel. No welding needed.
Drill two mtg. holes for the press and four for the mount to the table and...waaalaah, one upside down press made to order. Next stop...rattle can of primer then red paint.

JBinMN
08-22-2017, 09:01 PM
Erase your cookies and history using the tools icon on your browser.

Just did this too. Still no better.. BTW..& went out & logged in again...

Thanks for your suggestion.

Oh well.

:?

JBinMN
08-22-2017, 09:02 PM
Hey gang, thanks for all the help. I got the handle adjusted for a pull up to size, I was trying/thinking pull down to size. I can see I need to make an elevated stand. THe search for steel begins.

Thanks for all the input.

Glad to hear you are happy!

G'Luck!

G. Blessing
08-23-2017, 06:47 AM
OK, I have to ask... WHY are you guys mounting these things upside down?
I can't for the life of me see an advantage to this...

Enlighten me please gents! :)

-GB.

MyFlatline
08-23-2017, 07:02 AM
I makes sizing and gas checking the bullets easier and quicker. Instead of balancing the bullet on the top punch or ram, you just drop it in the sizer. Take a sizer and hold it in your hand, put a bullet in from the bottom, then turn the die over and drop it in the top. You should see what we are doing then.

MyFlatline
08-23-2017, 07:04 AM

Over at Gtrubicon's shop...he cut this mount from a single piece of 6" tube steel. No welding needed.
Drill two mtg. holes for the press and four for the mount to the table and...waaalaah, one upside down press made to order. Next stop...rattle can of primer then red paint.

That is a friend to have for sure.

jmorris
08-23-2017, 07:42 AM
OK, I have to ask... WHY are you guys mounting these things upside down?
I can't for the life of me see an advantage to this...

Watch the video I posted in #11 and try to figure out how to do the same thing with one right side up.

GhostHawk
08-23-2017, 07:47 AM
I just screwed mine to the bottom of my table.

Did not touch the linkage. Muscle memory, you get used to it soon enough.

I would never go back to a right side up press for sizing/gas checks. Never.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-23-2017, 10:12 AM
dropping a boolit into a die is much easier and faster then setting a boolit onto the punch, making sure it's on there squarely...and I dislike the "catcher" on the top of the press.

Same goes for removing the 'Glock' bulge from 40S&W cases using the Lee de-bugle die.

jmort
08-23-2017, 10:24 AM
dropping a boolit into a die is much easier and faster then setting a boolit onto the punch, making sure it's on there squarely...and I dislike the "catcher" on the top of the press.

Same goes for removing the 'Glock' bulge from 40S&W cases using the Lee de-bugle die.

I agree with all the above, but it is still a reasonable process for a decent price. I was able to get two sizers from a member here who makes them and they work real good. Nose first bottom out. As I mentioned in another thread Lee is developing the same style unit. If you PC or Hi Tek or tumble lube it is the way to go.

G. Blessing
08-26-2017, 02:48 AM
I makes sizing and gas checking the bullets easier and quicker. Instead of balancing the bullet on the top punch or ram, you just drop it in the sizer. Take a sizer and hold it in your hand, put a bullet in from the bottom, then turn the die over and drop it in the top. You should see what we are doing then.

Aha, yes, that makes perect sense! Thanks. :)

Watch the video I posted in #11 and try to figure out how to do the same thing with one right side up.

Sorry, I'm on 28k dial up internet. I couldn't watch a video on that, and my first time through the thread it didn't even show there was a video there anyway. But I get the idea now, thanks. :)

G.

jmorris
08-26-2017, 08:26 AM
Sorry, I'm on 28k dial up internet.

Ah, sorry and I understand. I used dial up myself before we moved out of the city, with no land line I am just a cellular internet user these days.

MyFlatline
11-04-2017, 06:08 PM
Got it done a while back and it works like a champ...

Thanks all for the help