PDA

View Full Version : Great discovery today

08-02-2008, 05:49 PM
Went to the range today with my own M1 Carbine which was a gift from my dad about 15 years ago. Hadn't really paid attention to the manufacturer when I first got it, then got out of shooting for several years. Since getting back to shooting about 5 years ago, I hadn't paid a whole lot of attention to the carbine. I had gotten interested in them in the past year, particularly when CMP started offering them again. I considered getting one made by IBM from CMP, but really didn't have the money, particularly since I already had one. So I put my order into CMP for Garand instead. I basically wrote off having an IBM M1 Carbine, at least for the near term.

Fast forward to today -- while at the range, someone asked me about what manufacturer it was, told them I really didn't know (which was a little embarrassing). He looked at it and lo and behold, it was an IBM. I had always been looking for a longer name (Winchester, Underwood etc.) I figured the manufacturer's name was hidden under the rear sight. When he pointed out the "IB,"I was shocked and really pleased (the M was covered up by the rear sight).

BTW, it functioned flawlessly with the 42-44 WCC ammo I fed through it for the first time. It always shoots a little low with the factory stuff I've fed it before. But it was practically point of aim at 50 yds with the WWII era milsurp ammo.

And the Springfield 1903A3 that I've been messing with for a couple of years off and on had a major breakthrough, but that goes in another thread.

Best of all, my wife and I get a night away from the 2 1/2 year old and the 6 month old to go watch a movie. Its been a good day.