PDA

View Full Version : "Tuning" costs

Repass
08-21-2017, 12:09 PM
I only have access to a Drill Press a Dremel and lots of hand tools but I am able to "tune" all of my PCP's and springers thus far. My questions - How many guys actually pay MORE to have a gun tuned then they actually pay for the gun new?
I came across this ad on the yellow and thought to myself. Before I pay $550 for an MRod and then another $605 to get it tuned I would purchase a Daystate Regal for $999 and shoot circles around it right out of the box.

cbashooter
08-21-2017, 03:37 PM
I do all of my spring guns .it's crazy what I see guys sink into a gun by a known "tuner".
I'm sure their work is more precise than mine but I'm into the tunes about $80.
The FWB 124 I got used that David Slade previously tuned was amazing I will say.

clodhopper
08-23-2017, 04:28 PM
Cant see the need for a tune. My marauder .25 cost 5 strokes of the pump, per shot at over 800 fps.

If more power is needed, a .22 long rifle works just fine.

Multigunner
08-23-2017, 10:09 PM
I'm a do it myself type. I'd much rather make any mods on my own, but if something required expert fine detail metal work I'd be willing to pay a fair price for the work. "The workman is worth his hire" is an old saying that holds true.

I just cut a deal with a machinist to supply me with an unfinished example of his work (a improved aluminum alloy breech), His stuff is beautifully done but I want to experiment with modifications of my own design so I'd have to refinish it again anyway.

HollowPoint
08-23-2017, 10:38 PM
"I'm a do it myself type. I'd much rather make any mods on my own, but if something required expert fine detail metal work I'd be willing to pay a fair price for the work. "The workman is worth his hire" is an old saying that holds true."

I can't bring myself to pay someone for something I'm able to do myself. I'm just cheap that way. If I screw something up I call it "Learning The Hard Way" but, on break barrel air guns I find that they are easy to "Tune". I also found that "Tuning" an air rifle means different things to different people. In some cases it's just a word used to convince you to give up more of your hard earned money.

And then there are those "Tuners" who really know what they are doing.

HollowPoint