PDA

View Full Version : Kiokee

Hogtamer
08-20-2017, 08:16 PM
Before there was USofA a preacher, Daniel Marshall, crossed the Savannah River from South Carolina and in 1772 established a church on the banks of Kiokee Creek (means good water from the native Euchees) I am blessed to be a member and deacon today at Kiokee Baptist Church, where God has been faithful to his people for a long time. We have an August baptizing in the spring at the "old church."
This is actually the 3rd meeting house, built in 1803. We hold Good Friday services here and Easter Sunrise services here at the amphitheater.
The baptismal pool is the effluence of a hillside spring about 150 yds down the hill behind the church that was blocked up, cold water even in August. 21 souls were buried with Christ today in these waters and raised to a new life.202282
Then a little singing and communion at the amphitheater back up the hill a little way.
For those of you who are not southern baptists you may not be aware of the denominational custom that where ever 3 or more or gathered food is required!
Today it was home ice cream about 20 folks brought their churned goodness from home. I thought you old timers might appreciate this hit-or-miss John Deere engine set up to churn 10 gallons a clip!
No, churches are not perfect, but today in Appling, Ga. there is one pretty close.

Pine Baron
08-20-2017, 08:22 PM
What a terrific blessing. Thanks Hogtamer.

rl69
08-20-2017, 09:11 PM
Thank you I hope one day to see your church in person

Boaz
08-20-2017, 09:12 PM
21 went under ! But That I could have been there ! I was Southern Baptist for 42 years , Independent Baptist now , lol...same doctrine . I loved the twist on where 3 are gathered . Baptists do enjoy celebrating with good food ! Your church is doing something right...keep it up !

Bzcraig
08-21-2017, 12:46 AM
Thanks for sharing this blessing and bit of local history.

Blackwater
08-23-2017, 07:57 PM
Thanks, Tamer! What a wonderful story. My own church was established in 1855. It's on its 4th building now, I believe it is. And each time it's burned, it's gotten bigger! Imagine that! And yes, we still adhere to that "3 or more" rule, at least very often. Our "Seniors dinner" is tomorrow, so it'll be YOUR turn to be envious of ME! HAR! :)