PDA

View Full Version : Using 45 Colt dies for 460 S&W??

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
08-02-2008, 02:57 PM
How do you set the sizing die of the 45 Colt to use on the 460 S&W? I have tried a few times and get a bulgle at the bottom of the case.
Thanks for any help!!

bigdog454
08-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Don't know about the 460 but I use the 45 colt die for the 454. Just set the deprimer back a little. I use RCBS 45 colt dies (old ones). If I were you I'd E mail Lee about this, I think that their dies are stright sided

runfiverun
08-02-2008, 09:10 PM
you may only want to size just the part that holds the boolit.
neck size as it were.
and punch the primer with a universal punch.

44man
08-02-2008, 10:18 PM
I only size to just below the bottom of a seated boolit in all of my revolvers. The best is the Hornady or a carbide sizer.
What you will run into is eventually the cases will expand too much to chamber and will need to be sized full length once in a while. The higher the pressure, the quicker it happens.
Best to buy new dies.

lathesmith
08-02-2008, 10:54 PM
My Lee 45 Colt carbide sizer would't allow my 460 brass to enter it all the way. A few minutes on the lathe fixed this--it now sizes my 460 brass full-length without bulges or ridges. I guess different brands of brass and dies will give different results.
lathesmith

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
08-03-2008, 09:16 AM
I went yesterday and just purchased a new set of Redding 460 dies. I have to stand it to size the brass. Its all I can do to use it. Somethings not right. My 45 colt Lee die leave a bulge on th casing.

DLCTEX
08-03-2008, 09:57 AM
Sounds as if your chambers may be oversized. A little little lube will help even a carbide die, but if the brass is worked that much it won't last long as you know. I'd be checking the chambers and see if there is a problem. DALE

Idaho_Elk_Huntr
08-03-2008, 03:20 PM
Sounds as if your chambers may be oversized. A little little lube will help even a carbide die, but if the brass is worked that much it won't last long as you know. I'd be checking the chambers and see if there is a problem. DALE

It is some once fired brass that I purchased from a member here. I have been trying to get it shiny but some of it is probably going to be trashed. If its not nice and shiny I wont use it. I have tossed around 25 already.
Im beginnning to think new is better.