PDA

View Full Version : Smokeless Powders

MakeMineA10mm
08-02-2008, 02:03 PM
Has anyone else noticed that since Hodgdon has taken over marketing IMR and Winchester powders that the prices on those brands have gone up significantly? I notice that it's usually so that they are above the price of the similar Hodgdon powder...

I recently priced some W231 and HP-38 and found that the old situation of a decade ago where 231 was always significantly cheaper than HP-38 (around $10/8-lb jug) has exactly reversed. Did a little research and discovered this happened after Hodgdon took over marketing and distribution of the Winchester powder line. That lead me to look (not to hard) at the IMR prices and found similar, though not as drastic, situation.

Is anyone else noticed this and more than a little peeved about it???

DLCTEX
08-02-2008, 02:26 PM
Sign of the times, large demand and higher transport, manufacturing, and materials prices. At least they have not gone up at the rate of lead in the past couple of years. DALE

James C. Snodgrass
08-02-2008, 02:52 PM
Well here local in Ks. as in right next door to Hodgdon headquarters the price of powder in the past was higher than in Missoula Mt. at a local sporting goods store. The price at a local wholesaler for 16lbs is $115.00 per 8lbs as of Mar. I don't think that Hodgdon has a lot of say in what the middle man charges. Plus as far as I know they are going to make the same profit when the sell any one of the three. As a son who's father and grandfather and several other friends and family members retired from Hercules I shouldn't burn anything but Hercules but I do.[smilie=1: