PDA

View Full Version : Old Eynsford 1.5F

patio
08-19-2017, 03:30 PM
Grafs has Old Eynsford 1.5F on sale. Would like to pick some up for my trapdoor. I am slowly getting into BPCR and would like to ask the knowledgeable members here about their experience with this powder. Should I stock up?

Thank you,

Pat

country gent
08-19-2017, 03:40 PM
Old Eynsforde 1 1/2 has worked well for me in 45-70 and 45-90 with around .090-.125 compression. With a 500grn bullet your trapdoor should do well. I'm currently using starline brass in all 3 rifles but in 45-70 if you can find it Winchester holds a little more powder as its thinner. Load to compression Height of powder in your brass. A .060 wad ( I use napa rubber fiber gasket material) and 2 typing paper or newspaper wads ( these insure release from bullets base) compress to where base of where bullet will sit and hand seat bullets on the wads. Be sure to wipe bases down before seating them. I then set tension by setting the sizing die high usually around .400 from full length sizing setting is close depending on bullet dia. OEs fouling is lighter than goex and easier to deal with. Use SPG or emmerts improved for bullet lube.

mdatlanta
08-19-2017, 03:54 PM
Old Eynsforde 1 1/2 has worked well for me in 45-70 and 45-90 with around .090-.125 compression. With a 500grn bullet your trapdoor should do well. I'm currently using starline brass in all 3 rifles but in 45-70 if you can find it Winchester holds a little more powder as its thinner. Load to compression Height of powder in your brass. A .060 wad ( I use napa rubber fiber gasket material) and 2 typing paper or newspaper wads ( these insure release from bullets base) compress to where base of where bullet will sit and hand seat bullets on the wads. Be sure to wipe bases down before seating them. I then set tension by setting the sizing die high usually around .400 from full length sizing setting is close depending on bullet dia. OEs fouling is lighter than goex and easier to deal with. Use SPG or emmerts improved for bullet lube.
I had the same question patio did. Many thanks for the detailed reply.

country gent
08-19-2017, 04:27 PM
I have used GOEX, Swiss, and Olde Eynsforde. GOEX ( muzzleloaders and some in cartridge guns) it was the main one available here for years. GOEX likes more compression and is dirtier with a little harder fouling at times. It may take a little more to get to the velocity you want. Swiss is very good and likes little compression .030-.090 Fouling is normally soft and lighter. Olde Eynsforde is a better price per pound. ( in 45-70 and larger cases there is only 100 rds or less per can LOL). it seems to be in the middle as to compression .060-.180 range. Last powder I bought Goex was 17.00 a lb, O E was 19.00 a lb and Swiss was 28.00 a lb. Podwer cost isn't all there is the hazmat on shipping also, this can be reduced by ordering as much as possible at one time price breaks are normally at 25 lbs and 50 lbs. Get a few friends together and put together a 50 lb order this is the same hazmat fee as 1 lb and gets the biggest price break.
A chronograph makes finding the right load and compression a lot easier. Start at no air space no compression watch the standard deviation and extreme spreads along with velocitiy itself. Increase in 2 grn increments this is also slowly increasing compression slightly each time. SD EV should slowly get lower and velocity may increase slightly work up to the least spread on EV and lowest SD when it starts to increase again check at the mid point of the 2 loads ( 65 grns give ES of 15 fps and SD of 4. 67 grns gives ES of 25 and SD of 4.5 so test at 66 grns). Ive got loads with OE that are 3.5 SD and ES of 12 fps for 10 rds strings. Finding what works in your rifle and for you is the key. I also do better with the heavier bullets in my rifles 38 cal is 335-360 grns, 40 cal is 400-425 grns and 45 cal is 500 -550 grns.