PDA

View Full Version : PC had made me lazy

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-19-2017, 01:20 PM
Yep. Powder coating has made me lazy. I don't mix any special alloys amymore and I dont even flux anymore. Yep. I plug in my pot, turn it to 725 degrees, and cast. No fluxing, no alloying. Lazy. Lol!

Until I can see any difference in the quality of my ammo, I see no reason to change...

Smoke4320
08-19-2017, 01:50 PM
Isn't nice when it just works

David2011
08-20-2017, 12:43 AM
I'm making the shift right now. SWMBO found a large Oster convection oven at an estate sale yesterday for $20 and snagged it because she knew I was wanting to PC. Last night I loaded ammo for a Cowboy Action match and had to wipe the beeswax based lube off of every boolit and cartridge. I'm looking forward to having less lead on my hands (not worried about it; it's just something else to clean off), clean boolits and clean loaded ammo.

The hard part: deciding on colors.

fredj338
08-22-2017, 03:08 PM
Fluxing for me is about better pouring bullets. PC isn't going to fix a bullet that isn't filled out. With clean alloy, my only fluxing is stirring with a wooden paint stick. For most of my pistol bullet needs, I have never really fretted over alloy composition.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-22-2017, 04:39 PM
For me, temperature fixes boolits that aren't filling out.

blikseme300
08-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Fluxing for me is about better pouring bullets. PC isn't going to fix a bullet that isn't filled out. With clean alloy, my only fluxing is stirring with a wooden paint stick. For most of my pistol bullet needs, I have never really fretted over alloy composition.

You will find that proper fill-out becomes critical if you intend to shoot at higher velocities with rifles especially when casting for .223 and .308. With pistol CB's you will probably be unable to tell the difference.

Color of the PC is not the only consideration as some powders work better than others when exposed to higher pressures and velocities.

Yes, PC has it's place but it is not a cure-all. Pushing for higher velocities and acceptable accuracy at longer ranges and you will find that the small things matter a lot.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-22-2017, 07:49 PM
I would agree. I swage for long range work. PC is for my target ammo.

rsrocket1
08-30-2017, 12:50 PM
Yep. Powder coating has made me lazy. I don't mix any special alloys amymore and I dont even flux anymore. Yep. I plug in my pot, turn it to 725 degrees, and cast. No fluxing, no alloying. Lazy. Lol!

Until I can see any difference in the quality of my ammo, I see no reason to change...

Same here although I do throw in a pea sized ball of candle wax before the first pour just because.

I use reclaimed shot from the local shotgun range. It's $1/pound so it's the cheapest supply of lead I can get on a regular basis. I do have to scoop out several spoons of graphite but the lead fills out nicely without any additional additives and the bullets shoot great in 357/9/40/45 when PC'ed.