PDA

View Full Version : Powder sticking to the hopper

Contenderman
08-19-2017, 11:48 AM
I have been using Lil Gun Powder for some handgun loads but a slight problem has arisen. How do I stop the powder from sticking to the interior of the green plastic hopper on my RCBS Powder measure. Appears to be caused by static electricity or something, any way to clean it to stop this, thanks

ReloaderFred
08-19-2017, 12:07 PM
I wipe mine down with a used dryer sheet. A new dryer sheet leaves too much residue, but a used one doesn't.

Hope this helps.

Fred

lightman
08-19-2017, 12:22 PM
A used dryer sheet is what I use too. This seems to be the universal solution to this problem.

Contenderman
08-19-2017, 12:29 PM
Thanks Guys I will give it a try

DerekP Houston
08-19-2017, 01:15 PM
Dryer sheet or buy the replacement Pyrex ones available

country gent
08-19-2017, 03:58 PM
Lightly wipe down with a used dryer sheet works. I also have wrapped one around the bottom of the hopper and top of the casting holding in place with a rubber band this helps with static for a while. I have heard of some wiping down with a liquid softener like downey ( one that also removes static) and letting dry then buff out the coating with a clean soft rag. If available a small dia ground wire may help also.

Kevin Rohrer
08-19-2017, 07:55 PM
Or, do a Search here for that question and view the hundred identical topics, all of which will say what everyone above me said.

jetinteriorguy
08-20-2017, 08:48 AM
I spray mine down with graphite from a rattle can.

williamwaco
08-20-2017, 10:35 AM
I spray mine down with graphite from a rattle can.

BINGO!

I remember when Dryer meant a galvanized steel wire across the back yard. We didn't have anti static sheets or spray but we did have graphite. Most powder was coated with it so the hopper., once coated, stayed coated.

Eddie17
08-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Run a pound of powder thru without actually reloading rounds. This spreads the graphite around to remove static on new parts
This has worked for me on new powder items!

Bayou52
08-23-2017, 12:29 PM
A little graphite on a rag. Then wipe the inside of the hopper pretty good with it.......

Bayou52

Bmi48219
08-25-2017, 12:04 AM
I noticed TiteGroup really clings to the plastic hopper on my Lyman 55. Unique & Herco do a little, 4227 & H110 not at all. At first I didn't care for TiteGroup because of the cling but it only takes a minute to run a plastic spatula around the hopper & get it out. I try to load several hundred rounds at a sitting so clean up time is worth the effort. Going to dig out a dryer sheet & give it a try.

tranders
08-25-2017, 09:44 AM
I noticed TiteGroup really clings to the plastic hopper on my Lyman 55. Unique & Herco do a little, 4227 & H110 not at all. At first I didn't care for TiteGroup because of the cling but it only takes a minute to run a plastic spatula around the hopper & get it out. I try to load several hundred rounds at a sitting so clean up time is worth the effort. Going to dig out a dryer sheet & give it a try.

Titegroup does the same thing in my Uniflow. I have tried using a used dryer sheet and it works ok, but not great. Might look for some graphite.

Big Tom
08-25-2017, 04:27 PM
If you wash the plastic part out with a dishwasher / soap solution and let it air dry, there will be no static building up for a few months.

Grmps
08-26-2017, 03:13 PM
If you try the graphite, protect the surface you're working on. Graphite can make an awful mess