PDA

View Full Version : Conceal Carry Holsters for S&W J's

LeadThrower
08-02-2008, 10:38 AM
I come to the Oracle Of A Thousand Voices (i.e. Castboolits) seeking wisdom:

Whereas my 6" GP100 is not a good match for my newly obtained CCW permit, I snarfed up a S&W 442. So...

If you own a J-frame and holster it for CC (what else, right?), what holsters have you tried, what pro's have you identified, and what con's have you identified, based upon your style of carry? (Please define or describe your style.) Also, if you had a favorite family member that was going to carry concealed, what holster would earn your highest recommendation, and what would you caution against? (again, based upon your style of carry)

Here's where I'm coming from: I know I'll go though several holsters as I identify and practice my preferred carry method. I'd like to minimize that number of holsters (and thereby $$) by checking in with you folks.

One final note: I'm a southpaw.

Thanks for sharing your insights!

crabo
08-02-2008, 10:50 AM
I just put mine in my right front pocket with a speed strip in my left rear pocket. I keep saying I am going to get a pocket holster, but I haven't. (I'm right handed)

danski26
08-02-2008, 03:20 PM
I use a "Taurus" brand ankle holster for carry in long pants. IMHO he makes the best ankle holsters ever. www.tsparksolutions.com/taurisholsters/pricelist.cfm

For shorts and pocket carry I just use a Desantis, nemisis holster.

imashooter2
08-02-2008, 03:47 PM
I've tried Bianchi and Maverick clip on IWB and a Galco Summer Comfort IWB.

The Bianchi has a huge lump at the bottom of the spring clip. This ensures that the holster is never pulled with the gun, but that is also ensured by the absolute impossibility of getting the damn clip on your belt. The Bianchi is soft suede leather and has a thumb break. I don't see the need for a thumb break on an IWB and the soft leather makes reholstering difficult at best.

The Maverick is a cheap nylon holster with a stiff front band that keeps it open for easy reholstering. It was comfortable, easy on and off, but moved around a bit too much for my liking. Dillon sells them, and at the price, it's not a bad choice.

The Galco Summer Comfort is a solid blocked leather holster with 2 snap straps. It has a reinforced mouth to allow easy reholstering. The 2 strap design allows it to be positioned on my belt with a loop in between, which is where I like it at about 4:00. A single wide loop design would require me to place the holster too far forward or too far back. Down side is it is considerably more expensive than the other two and a bit bulkier.

For in the pocket carry, I just fold a bandanna handkerchief and place the muzzle of the gun in that. The couple layers of cloth help break up any outline and add a bit of comfort to the thigh if sitting for a long period. Fold the bandanna small enough that no cloth is over the hammer or grip and the gun comes out easily leaving the handkerchief in the pocket.

90% of my carry is IWB and the Summer Comfort is the holster I still use.

http://home.comcast.net/~imashooter2/pictures/360a-760-1.jpg

Kraschenbirn
08-02-2008, 04:04 PM
My 3" SP101 rides in either an old-style Milt Sparks "Summer Special" IWB or an Uncle Mike's "Sidekick" (Size O) - depending upon whether I'm wearing slacks with a waistband or jeans.

Bill

C1PNR
08-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Give at least some consideration to ankle carry in a Renegade Cozy Partner. Call them at 602.482.6777 and ask for a price list. Really nice folks with a Great product!

If you tell them I sent you, it'll probably cost you extra.:roll:

Dale53
08-02-2008, 07:00 PM
The most comfortable carry for all day, for me, has been in my right front pocket (I am right handed) in a Mika pocket holster.

The State of Ohio, in their infinite wisdom, require a holster when carrying concealed. In this case, it is not a problem and is MUCH better than just shoving the revolver in a pocket (breaks the outline and holds the revolver ALWAYS in position).

YMMV
Dale53

Bret4207
08-02-2008, 07:03 PM
Right front pocket. I am considering a belly band or ankle holster for tighter clothes than my work pants. Speed strip for reloads.

ebner glocken
08-02-2008, 10:16 PM
I'm a leftie and do carry a taurus 605 and a model 85 lightweight. Both are right at the same size of gun you're carrying difference is one is 17 oz and the other 23. I've tried the desantis nemisis pocket holster and didn't much care for it. The holster that I like for pocket carry is a Ross Leather Pocket Guard. They can be had for around 35 bucks, model is POC1 ref:10629. For belt carry I like the galco COP or the galco FETCH. To me both are basically the same holster other than the COP has another slot cut into it and can only be had in black. These work for me, something else may work for you better.

Ebner

BD
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
Desantis neoprene holster in my right front pocket. I sure do miss it in the peoples republic of NY.

BD

longhorn
08-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Mika pocket holster. Looser jeans. (Relaxed fit = jeans for men with big butts and/or a CHL)

shooting on a shoestring
08-05-2008, 09:41 PM
I carried a 2" Mod 60 in an Uncle Mikes IWB at about 2 o'clock, tee shirt or polo shirt tail out, worked fine. Then I started carrying an SP101 2&1/4", just enough bigger that it didn't work well in the Uncle Mikes rig. Out of frustration one day I carried it sans holster, just shoved between me and my jeans about 2 o'clock. The Hogue grip juts out over my heavy leather belt. It stays put do to pressure from over 4 decades of bad eating. I even wear it that way and tuck a shirt tail between the revolver and my jeans, can draw by left hand pulling the shirt tail up and out, right hand pulling the gun. It does eat holes in jeans after about a year or more, but then the jeans have other issues too, so doesn't matter to me.

I also use a home brewed shoulder rig for dressier events when I can't wear jeans. Again out of frustration, I sewed up the rig using mil surp cotton woven belt. Works good, is washable, which I view as essential considering the location and sweating.

Old Ironsights
08-05-2008, 10:56 PM
SP101 in a Bearclaw "Covert assignment" (http://www.bearclawholsters.com/holsters/covertassignment.aspx). Kydex, handbuilt, Left or Right Hand. $70.

I wear mine daily with only a tucked Polo.

HeavyMetal
08-06-2008, 01:20 AM
If I was going to be forced to carry a 38 snubbie, and if you are not barrel chested, a good upside down shoulder holster is the way to go.

I carried my first Star in a "Maimi Vice" Galco holster and was real happy with the results. If you want an idea of what I'm talking for your snubbie about see "Bullit" with Steve McQueen!

Don't like belt carry for long periods of time, support issues aside, the first time you decide to take a wizz and forget you packing your pants are going to take the express down hill real fast!

If you want to hear a public rest room get real quiet real fast wait until your chasing your pistol across the floor with your pants around your ankles!

You may not like a shoulder rig but that's where I'd spend my first dollar!

Old Ironsights
08-06-2008, 10:11 AM

Don't like belt carry for long periods of time, support issues aside, the first time you decide to take a wizz and forget you packing your pants are going to take the express down hill real fast!...

Not only have I never had that happem, I can't imagine it happening to me.

Regardless of holster, a belt/IWB carry requires a proper Belt.

I wear a Mitch Rosen BHL (http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/belts/body_belts.html)and my holster will not collapse my pants nor fall off the belt even with it completely unbuckled.

Other Makers have similar products.

IMO putting money in your Belt is more important than a pricy whizbang holster.

MtGun44
08-06-2008, 07:27 PM
I have one nice leather IWB that works great, but with a steel lined top
and double leather, it really adds too much bulk for the little
revolver. I had to quit using it. If you want to buy it you can have it
for $30, it is high quality big name, like Desantis or similar, I forget -
and may work for you. I'm a little guy - 32" belt and can't stand much
of a bulge with most clothes.

I have an old Uncle Mike's cloth with the good steel clip that works
really well and adds about .030" to the thickness. No possibility of
reholstering after draw tho - need to pull the holster, put the gun in
it and then put it on again. Not a serious problem. I use a left
hand holster and carry it butt fwd on the strong side. Slower draw
but super comfortable and less bulging from the butt.

The current UM IWB have a plastic clip, NOT an improvement IMHO.

Bill

Steve Collins
08-09-2008, 10:57 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/sjcollins69/Pocket_holster.jpg

My model 60 .38 in a Simply Rugged pocket holster. Works very well in a pair of dress slacks.

Steve Collins
08-09-2008, 11:00 PM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn185/sjcollins69/642.jpg
My 642 with a Barami Hip Grip and Tyler T-grip adapter. My normal "always" gun. The Hip Grip and T-grip went on the first day I got it, and nothing has changed.