PDA

View Full Version : Winchester pound cast

Lethemgo
08-18-2017, 08:14 PM
I have a couple mod94s one from 1895 38-55 and a 32 winchester special around 1951. Was reading in military rifles and see it may be best to do a pound cast to get a chamber cast instead of just slugging bore. Has anyone tried it on your winchester or would it be best to just leave it alone. Haven't tried it on anything yet but will probably do a enfield type 1 mk 3* this weekend.

OlDeuce
08-19-2017, 01:39 PM
Lethemgo.........I see no need??? unless the 38-55 has a New Barrel ???? if its the old barrel ,it was made with the long chamber ! use the 2.125 brass ..

Ol Deuce

Lethemgo
08-19-2017, 05:34 PM
I was mostly thinking about a 32 ws and a 30-30 I have to get cast boolits to fit the chamber.

historicfirearms
08-20-2017, 08:51 AM
It's probably not necessary. Measure the inside of the case mouth of a casing fired in your rifle. This will get you very close to the boolit diameter you want that will fill your throat.

ammohead
08-20-2017, 01:24 PM
I used Veral Smiths method of "pound casting" although I don't think he used that term. I filled the case with lead stopping about 1/4" short of the mouth. Then I drilled a hole through a piece of aluminum block about 3/4" thick that was just over the boolit diameter which in this case was .284 for a 94AE in 7-30 waters. After pouring pure lead into the block (sitting on a steel bench) I drove it out and pushed it muzzle first through the bore into the waiting lead filled cartridge case in the chamber. Once it was well seated I used a large hammer and soft blows to obturate the slug so that it made an impression of the throat. After removing the "pound casting" I sent it to Veral and he crafted me a beautiful 130 gr LFN mould that shoots quite well in my rifle. I still have the hand typed letter that he sent with the mould some 25 years ago.