PDA

View Full Version : Best rangefinder for the buck

crabo
08-02-2008, 03:12 AM
I am looking for a rangefinder. I would like for it to compensate for up or downhill and would be for rifle shooting. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

MtGun44
08-03-2008, 01:53 AM
I have Bushnell Legend that I have checked out on our ranges and it is accurate
and works on trees and similar targets out to at least 400 yds and I have gotten
readings at 600 or more on real things like trees and rocks.

Small, light and affordable, waterproof. Don't even know if it is superceded or not.

Bill

jameslovesjammie
08-03-2008, 02:46 AM
It all depends on your budget and how far you will likely be shooting. I was really looking into long range shooting a couple of years ago, and it seems like the most recommended were the Leica 1200 and the Swarovski.

Remember, the range listed on the product is the maximum range under ideal conditions. A rangefinder rated at 800 yards may only range 500 accurately, depending on the weather conditions. Whatever rangefinder you get, make sure that you test it in all weather conditions BEFORE taking it into the field so you know what it is and is not capable of ranging. A flat steel plate will range MUCH farther and accurately than a deer will.

357maximum
08-03-2008, 04:05 AM
Best rangefinder for the buck ?

tapemeasure, or a clicky wheel:twisted:

My ol mans bushnell seems to work just fine for anything inside the 1/4 mile mark

charger 1
08-03-2008, 05:40 AM
I got the first 1500 elite bushnell. Its fine. Me thinks this up/down hill is over kill

DLCTEX
08-03-2008, 08:57 AM
I've been using a Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 for a while now and find it very usable for deer and prarie dog hunting to 500 yds. The longer ranges take a pretty good reflective surface, such as a tree, rock or ground . I get good readings on prarie dogs by using the mound of dirt around the den. There have been times when I got a strange reading and discovered a tall weed in front I hadn't seen. It works through glass very well. I would say it's useful in stand hunting, but I'm not about to carry it over hill and dale. It has been useful in learning range estimation, carrying it in the field in non hunting times and ranging objects at random. DALE

BlackRifleShooter
08-03-2008, 10:20 AM
I would recomend the new Leupold Laser range finders as they measure up and down angle as well and give you the shooting yardage to the target. The bushnell yardage pro 1000 my Dad dale is using was brand new technology when I bought it years ago, they are less than half the size now and cheaper.

LIMPINGJ
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
I have been thinking about getting one for use when hunting with blackbowder rifles to be sure I am not taking shots I should get closer on. Does anyone use one while stillhunting or do you just range objects when you are on a stand. Just wondering one is worth the extra weight while hunting?

Meatco1
09-01-2008, 04:25 PM
Bushnell Pin Seeker 1500 with slope perhaps?

I have the plan Jane version without the slope, seems to work just fine for me. I also have the first generation Bushnell 400, no complaints there either.

Richard