PDA

View Full Version : Shot my "Returned" Uberti Hi-Wall

Buckshot
08-02-2008, 02:57 AM
...............Shot it "For Real" meaning I actually loaded for it:-) I went through my notebook for it on work I'd done with it before decideing it was a ***. and I was burning components for no good end. I picked out the best 3 loads and used 2 different boolits, but one was the same as had been loaded previously:

All fired at 50 yards benched as before.

1) 17.0grs XMR5744 no filler. .381", 292gr swaged HP, PP. (10 rounds)
1A) Same load, but Lee GB 255gr FNGC , sized .382" (10 Rounds)*

2) 18.0 Surp SR4759 + Dacron and above PP'd slug (10 Rounds)
2A) Same load but used Lee 255gr FNGC, sized .382" (10 rounds)*

3) 16.0 2400 + Dacron, Lee GB 255gr FNGC sized .382" (10 Rounds)*

* = Previously tried load.

Previous best was load 2A which was about 2". Next was load 1A, then load 3.

Results this time with the returned High Wall showed NO improvement.

Groups 2 and 2A using SR4759 + Dacron both produced similar groups being round, and running about 2". This was about like before.

Group 1 was poor running about 2" vertical and 3.5" to 4" horizontal spread. Group 2 shot with the same boolit as shot before produced a kind of a scattered oval (up and down biased) group worse then before it's trip to the doctor.

Group 3 which was the poorest of the best before (follow THAT reasoning:-)) was no better and made a group kind of like a '6' which had tipped over 90* to the right. Seven shots doing about a 3" circle with 3 rounds trailing off in a line to the right for about 4.5" total.

As I have time I will try a few more load combinations with a couple different slugs (means I'll also have to find time to cast and lube-size) before I decide on whose barrel with which to replace this Uberti abomination :-). I wish someone high up in Aldo Uberti were closeby and handy so I could make a rather penetrating return of this spare part I'll probably have.

.................Buckshot

dromia
08-02-2008, 03:22 AM
I'm sorry that this has gone so sour, I got bitten with a pot metal Italian clone years ago (Pederosoli aside).

I've had some good Ubertis and Armi San marco's but only second hand know from owners I know with rifles I know, means I've got to wait and I don't always get what I want but I wouldn't risk new again.

I know its a chew on and I'd want closure on this putting the Uberti experience behind me but I think I'd write a letter to Uberti Italy cc'ing it to all those in the food chain as well.

It probably won't help you Rick but the buggers need to know the grief they cause people.

Linstrum
08-02-2008, 03:47 AM
Hi, Buckshot,

Well, darn.

Have you thought about what caliber you are going to re-barrel it in, or are you going to keep it the same?

I had a friend, may he rest in peace, who used to get the attention of higher-ups by buying a cheap but nice print of an attractive painting, say 24 x 30 inches of the "Man In a Golden Helmet" or other such classic, and pasting his neatly typewritten and signed letter to the back of it, the letter stating his thoughts and suggestions, and then send it to the person in need of his words of wisdom. In your case you could point out that the barrel would make an excellent suppository, front sight included, for whoever thought up their policy of selling drek.

rl383

Bullshop
08-02-2008, 01:33 PM
Penitrating return!!! I have never heard anyone say it so nicely.
Sorry! I feel your pain brother but I just had to laugh at that one.
Tell ya what, I think I have somewhere a long round barrel cut and threaded for a high wall. Its is a 32 bore and chambered in 32/40. It has the dovetai cuts for sights already and I think is about 32" long. I got two in a trade the other being 38 bore and now rides my roller. There was plenty of length to cut and rethread.
I dont know who made them but they are smooth and my roller has won a postal match right here on this board. It shoots better than anything I could have expected. What I am saying is its a darn good barrel. These would have to be considered heavy barrels like what you would expect to see on a BPCR silly wet rig.
Anyways if ya want it I will ship it for $115.00 That should net me bout a hunert after shipping. If I thought it was junk I wouldnt offer. I have been savin it for a project that may never happen. Might be just the ticket for ya. No Sir I have not measured the twist so cant tell ya. The 38 turned out to be a 1/14" and has done really good with 320gn boolits in the long range matches me n Jr went to in ND.
Blessings on ya
BIC/BS

HeavyMetal
08-02-2008, 02:21 PM
If you send a letter to Uberti, in Italy, you'll need to send it in Italian which is a good idea.

I'd also send a fired target, with notes in Italian, and the barrel. I'd explain the issue and demand a refund for any barrel work and parts.

I'd also let them know you would be posting the results of your problem at the web address of every gun shop and range that caters to BPCR and Cowboy shooting here in the U.S.A..

That ought to put a crimp in all thier sales, not just the highwall stuff, and just might get you some results.

Buckshot
08-05-2008, 03:05 AM
.............Bullshop, you're a kind person and I appreciate the offer. However I have to pass as I do want this to remain in 38-55. Besides, I have that new (to me) schuetzen rifle in 32-40 I haven't messed with yet!

...........heavyMetal, I thought about sending Uberti a letter. I have read and observed some fine shooting done by some of these rifles. I have also read about several that have had issues, and these generally have to do with accuracy. The majority of these appear to be barrel oriented.

The one thing that kind of ticks me off is a couple remarks made by people who should know better. That is, "Uberti is basically making these for the 'Cowboy' market................". Another is that when I said I expected more from a $1200 rifle, it was pointed out to me that Uberti's lever actions were almost that much. It appears that a $1200 isn't deserving of much accuracy I guess?

..................Buckshot

4060MAY
08-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Buckshot
finally got some pictures of my friends re-barreled Uberti 38-55
shot 8-6-08
Win brass/CCI primers/Surplus 4895/Lyman 375167/Alox50/50
14BHN/
100yds Cross Stick front rest, no rear rest, wind 3-7mph shifting
80deg/Humid(not sure)

4060MAY
08-05-2008, 03:05 PM
OH

Iron sights, Front lyman 17A, Rear Parts Unlimited Tang sight

2.5" Dia dot

Buckshot
08-06-2008, 01:20 AM
.............The best mine has done is a bit worse then that at 50 yards.

..............Buckshot

HeavyMetal
08-06-2008, 01:32 AM
Buckshot:
I'll tell ya if I bought that rifle new ( I don't know if you did) I'd go back to the dealer, show him my target and corespondence with Uberti and ask for my money back! No credit or trades: please return my cash!

He will in turn contact his supplier, because he ain't gonna eat $1200.00, and ask for help! Perhaps this might be faster than a letter to Italy as no one is going to want to give you back the money.

You may not get any where with the warranty guys but if you can get the "house" that originally supplied this to your dealer involved they have a much bigger stick ( check book) to swing and are smart enough to know that if the guns stink the market for that brand will dry up and go some where else !

No one want to be stuck with "Stock" they can't move!

madcaster
08-06-2008, 07:08 AM
Heavymetal has the right ideal!Why should folks spend so much when the manufacturer doesn't get it right?

jlchucker
08-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Madcaster, I couldn't agree more! Too often we customers buy a poorly manufactured rifle, find it doesn't shoot well, then take it upon ourselves to jump thru hoops and spend money in an attempt to make up for poor engineering and/or quality. The most common one, written about in several websites, was the H & R 38-55. Now it's Uberti/Cimmaron. Who's next? The producers need to pay attention to what they crank out to the customers, first and foremost. Some producers these days don't appear to give a damn, and apparently don't even care to properly fix their manufacturing mistakes.

Wayne Smith
08-06-2008, 09:48 AM
If you read his previous posts you realize that this one did go back to Cimmaron and that this is the best they offered. Rick, all I can say is now you know why Uberti is putting Petersoli barrels on their HiWalls now. I'd be looking for a Pedersoli barrel, myself.

I would go direct to Uberti and let them know both the problem and the way Cimmaron handled it. They may not be happy with either. I doubt that you will have to write in Italian, either. I've e-mailed Petersoli and got return e-mails from Aldo Pedersoli in reasonably good English. This was years ago, but it happened. I doubt that Uberti will be unable to handle English.

KCSO
08-06-2008, 10:08 AM
This is kind of surprising to me as I had a HighWall from Cimarron that I got about the same time. I traded it to a friend as it shot so good he had to have it. Mine has consistantly put its shots into 4" or less at 200 yards and 100 yard groups are usually 1/2 that. This is with a bead front and a Lyman tang sight. The only thing I did was to lap the barrel with a lead lap when I got it. Now I will offer a suggestion, have you slugged the bore at each end. I have on occasion found cut rifled barrels that were installed backward and they were tighter at the breech than at the muzzle. These will work for jacketed slugs some but are worthless for cast. And or this is just another hurry up job slipped past the inspectors. I had a Chapparal 38-40 that you could stick a 40 caliber jacketed bullet in the muzzle by hand, they claimed the barrel was within spec! I sent it back and insisted on a different tube and got one that was 403! I gave up and rebarreled it myself as I couldn't with any honesty sell it to anyone.

tom barthel
08-12-2008, 12:23 AM
Madcaster, I couldn't agree more! Too often we customers buy a poorly manufactured rifle, find it doesn't shoot well, then take it upon ourselves to jump thru hoops and spend money in an attempt to make up for poor engineering and/or quality. The most common one, written about in several websites, was the H & R 38-55. Now it's Uberti/Cimmaron. Who's next? The producers need to pay attention to what they crank out to the customers, first and foremost. Some producers these days don't appear to give a damn, and apparently don't even care to properly fix their manufacturing mistakes.

H&R/NEF seemed to have quality control problems. They have been bought out by marlin. Marlin is owned by Remington. Perhaps the new ones will be of better quality. If there are any new ones. If Americans can lose confidence in an American company, they will eventually lose confidence in a foreign company like uberti. I only buy used rifles from makers with good reputations now. I don't care who makes a product. I expect it to work right. I am the sort who would spend more to avoid being cheated. Junk is junk. Even if it's pretty junk.[smilie=b:

HeavyMetal
08-12-2008, 12:35 AM
Wirth all due respect to Colonel Whelen, if I got this wrong,:

Pretty rifles are nice But only accurate rifles are interesting!

Perhaps we should send that quote to Uberti.

Linstrum
08-12-2008, 01:37 AM
I guess if several of us send stuff in like the Whelen quote so kindly supplied by heavyMetal it may have some effect, but one guy by himself will have no effect and be written off by Uberti as just one disgruntled crank. If Signor Uberti were sent the URL to this place for him to see that we are dead serous about performance and we do SPEND dollars, Euros, Lyra, or whatever, it might sink in that he has a problem that needs to get fixed or its gonna start to hurt him by a massive mixture of word of mouth and person-to-person recommendations of what NOT to buy, namely his unreliable products. You bet your sweet gluteous maximus I will not touch any Uberti product now. It has for sure affected at least two of us, Buckshot and me, Uberti has lost the two of us forever. Probably everyone else who has read this thread (and the previous one) has had quite similar thoughts. People don't spend $1200 for wall hangers, at minimum wage that is 5 week's wages - - - over one month's work - - - and even at twice minimum wage is far, far too much money to lose on something that turns out to be junk. From my long ago studies in basic law, any product sold in this country must be fit for its intended purpose, and products that do not meet this simple test are not legal to sell! It is that simple.

rl 390

Buckshot
08-12-2008, 01:50 AM
.............I really can't see myself going back to the gunshop and raising cane with them. My first stop would be the same as it was before, and that's Cimarron simply because they're the importer. I'd trust that they have a direct connection to A. Uberti.

As mentioned before the place it was sent to found 2 gouges/scratches in the barrel and 'Some Wavyness' in the lands. Finally the crown was bad. The barrel was re-crowned, shot and found to be acceptable as a "Cowboy Rifle", per the person at the warranty station and was returned. When I asked that scratches in the barrel and wavy lands were acceptable to Uberti is when I was told that they are aimed at the Cowboy Shooters.

However, before I do anything else I will give it another session with some other loads to see what it will do. If after that it does no better I will again contact Cimarron, and also Uberti together.

.............Buckshot

leftiye
08-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Tell 'em to read this thread and others here about their products to see what their slovenliness is likely to cost them!

Johnw...ski
08-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Looks to me like you have two choices, return it to where you got it and move on, thats what I would do, or if you are really attached to it live with it and rebarrel. You will never be happy the way it is and from what you describe it is impossible for that barrel to ever be right.

My 2 cents,

John

2Tite
08-12-2008, 04:58 PM
We could post Cimmaron's e-mail address.........I'm sure some of us wouldn't mind asking "what gives?" If should expect the same level of service ? and explain our reluctance to buy anything they sponsor. I spend more time looking over a couple of cast bullet sights than it would take to tell 'em what I think...................................

hpdrifter
08-12-2008, 08:31 PM
[QUOTE=Buckshot;378864
As mentioned before the place it was sent to found 2 gouges/scratches in the barrel and 'Some Wavyness' in the lands. Finally the crown was bad. The barrel was re-crowned, shot and found to be acceptable as a "Cowboy Rifle", per the person at the warranty station and was returned. When I asked that scratches in the barrel and wavy lands were acceptable to Uberti is when I was told that they are aimed at the Cowboy Shooters.

.............Buckshot[/QUOTE]

I'd ask to see there disclaimer; For Cowboy Action shooting only. NOT TO BE USED FOR BPCR TARGET SHOOTING or any distance beyond 50 yards.

Then take it to Attorney General for salebility rules, or at least threaten to.

Mumblypeg
08-12-2008, 09:25 PM
I really don't why Uberti won't take back ONE rifle and give you another one of all they sell. As for their products I've got two, a 30-30 and a 38-55 both high walls and the 30-30 is a shooter. My 55 year old eye(s) are not that good and it amazies me that I can shoot that good with iron sights. The 38-55 is not as good but I'm still working with it but it's not that bad either. I think if you get through to them maybe this will have a happy ending.

twotrees
08-12-2008, 09:47 PM
And it is a good gun. I guess i got lucky.

At the Mississippi shoot severial guys wanted to buy it from me ,,but after hearing of all your troubles, i might not be so lucky next time.

Buck, Lets find a good Green river Bbl and show them what a couple of shade tre gun smiths can do with their junk.

Sorry to hear of all the problems.

madcaster
08-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Lumpie mentioned something about the .38/55 calibers being the only "problem" rifles....

Linstrum
08-13-2008, 10:15 AM
Well, there is one more alternative since it will be fed paper-patched boolits.

I had totally forgotten about one old rifle I fixed up thirty years ago. I am a big fan of Roy Dunlap and he worked in an era when re-barreling was a last resort because new after-market barrels were just not available like nowadays. You would have to write a letter to Pope or Pfeifer and send them a check for a week's wages and then wait three or four months for the barrel maker to make you a new barrel. Roy Dunlap's favorite cure for barrels that didn't shoot right was to lap them, which takes an awful lot of elbow grease. But that was back in the days before the Milwaukee Sawzall power saw.

For the rifle I fixed I cast up a wheel weight lap with a tapered screw to mount the lap to the push rod. With a tapered screw it can be screwed in a bit to tighten up the lap as it wears. I also used the guts from the head from a high quality cleaning rod that allows the rod to rotate and follow the rifling. I used an old cartridge in the chamber to protect the rifling from the push rod, I drilled a hole through the primer pocket for the push rod to go through. Then hooked it up to my Milwaukee Sawzall and ran it at low speed, keeping silicon carbide 600-grit and oil on the lap. I finished it with 800-grit aluminum oxide in oil and polished it with calcium phosphate tooth powder in water with a little Tide detergent to cut the oil. With the Sawzall running 100 strokes per minute it made short work of lapping the barrel, the hardest part was having to re-cast the laps every few minutes. The stroke on the Sawzall is about 3-inches so the push rod has to be pulled in and out of the barrel to get it properly lapped from breech to muzzle.

rl391

ktw
08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Lumpie mentioned something about the .38/55 calibers being the only "problem" rifles....

If you follow the complaints it seems to me that people who ordered the Double Set Trigger 38-55's seem to have a lot more issues than those that ordered the standard model 38-55. I don't know if that indicates a quality control difference between the two models or if people who paid extra for the DST models just had higher standards for the rifles.

I have a standard model 38-55. I am relatively new to BPCR. I haven't had any issues with it. For what it cost me (<$850 brand new) I think I got a good deal.

If I had to do it over again I wouldn't order directly from Cimarron. Their customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I would buy from someone like Buffalo Arms. They may be getting the rifles through Cimarron, but at least there is someone in the middle who will work with you, answer your questions, and has a fighting chance of getting a response out of Cimarron.

-ktw

Buckshot
10-05-2008, 04:01 AM
..............I had resigned myself to sending my Uberti out to be re-barreled. However a member here as an aside in a PM asked me what I'd decided to do. I said to have it re-barreled. The more I thought about it, the more pissed off I became. I decided to send Cimarron an e-mail. Below:

If anyone should happen to care,

November of 2007 I ordered a Uberti Hi-Wall chambered 38-55, with set triggers and a pistol grip stock. This was through Big John's Guns in Yucaipa, CA. After it had come in, and I had waited the 10 days I picked it up, and it was a very pretty rifle. At home, naturally the first thing to do was to clean it. A flannel patch was 'Snaggy' in several places down the barrel. You kind of expect a patch to glide down the bore? At the muzzle you actually had to thump the rod's handle to get the patch out. Trying the patch from the muzzle end it was almost impossible to get it to enter the barrel. At first I thought it might be choked.

Checking at the muzzle with a bright LED light it appeared that a 100 tpi tap had been run in the barrel. I was determined to shoot it to see what would happen. At 55 years old and having had an 01 FFL from 1980 to 2001 this is NOT the first rifle to pass through my hands. Personally owning over 80 rifles, I have seen rifles with somewhat rough bores shoot, and this is not my first 38-55. I was willing to give it a chance. After slugging the barrel and doing a chamber cast I found a groove of .3794" and a chamber that would accept a slug sized .381" in the long Starline cases. For it's first range trip, I loaded up five 10 round batches of various generic 38-55 loads with a 255gr Saeco, that has done well for me in the past in a couple other rifles. None of these performed well at all in the Uberti. Groups off the bench with a Marbles rear sight and your insert type tunnel front sight at 50 yards would run about 4".

With considerable shooting being done, an occasional 2" group might sneak in. Consistent with the 18" twist none of the slugs weighed over 310grs. Cast bullet weights used were 225gr, 250gr, 255gr, 272gr, 286gr and 308gr. Since jacketed bullets aren't cheap (even the cheap ones) and with a groove of .3794" and jacketed slugs running .375" I didn't try any. I produced a core mould and a set of swage dies for paper patched bullets. These going .381" over the patch. They also were dismal performers, unlike their subsequent use in another rifle where they shot exceedingly well. It was becoming quite clear to me I had a rifle with a problem. Two personal friends of mine were involved with another Uberti Hi-Wall. This was a 38-55 single trigger rifle. It was a superb shooter and one friend sold it to the other as he wanted a 38-55 with a faster twist. They were shooting black powder. I tried some of that ammo and it too was a waste of time.

I eventually contacted Cimarron and was given RA number 08-149 by Curt, and an address to ship it to Banana River Outfitters (BRO). I was happy with the rapid response. Looking back now, the rapidity of the response may have been because the problem wasn't anything new? I was very surprised to get a call from Greg at BRO after only maybe 30 minutes of getting the RO. Boy, this was service? He wanted to know what the problem was. At his suggestion I shipped the barreled action only, sans wood and naturally without the sights. I shipped it via UPS 5-2008. Due to extreme weather conditions in the mid-west, plus other work he had, it took awile. I will add that Greg was most communicative as to these and other issues.

What Greg found was a bad crown, which he said he fixed. In addition he said there were 2 gouges in the barrel and some "Waviness" (?) to the lands.He was awaiting a buttstock so it could be shot to see if the crown "Fixed the barrel", as he said sometimes it can. I'm aware of what problems a bad crown can cause.

Sometime after that, not hearing anything I called him. He was surprised I hadn't gotten the rifle yet? I asked him if it had a new barrel and he said no. I asked how it shot and he said, "Okay". I don't recall everything said now, as I was a bit upset at the time, for a couple reasons. One is that he wouldn't elaborate on how it shot, he was rather brisk, seemed uninterested, and apparently wanted nothing more then to hang up the phone. Totally unlike his previous calls, even when HE called me. I suppose I was no longer a concern? He'd made his decision or he'd gotten his orders?

The following is a synopsis of our final contact, and was in response to a board member asking me this evening, what resolution had been made to my problem with the rifle:

"A bad crown (and he re-crowned it) 2 big gouges in the barrel, AND some waviness (?) to the lands. It was NOT worthy of re-barreling apparently. I don't know if it was discused or who made the decision. In any event when I was told that this $1200 rifle was made "For the Cowboy Action guys", it was obvious to me that if it went bang it was sufficient and barrel problems and accuracy issues were to be accepted I guess. Also, "If you look at the other Uberti rifles they cost almost that much". I guess that was supposed to make me feel better."

Buy a Uberti and you take your chances, right?

When you have an $89 Russian M91/30 (for merely ONE example) made while they were getting their butts kicked by the Germans, and it shoots rings around this Uberti, it's pretty darn sad. I had been well resigned to taking my lumps and sending it off and paying to have it rebarreled. I sure as heck couldn't sell the thing to anyone I know, and it wouldn't be right to sell it to someone I DON'T know. However this person's question this evening and the whole idea raised my dander again. The thought of spending that kind of money on a rifle, PLUS $32 to ship it for repairs, and to have it come back and shoot JUST AS POORLY as before, then meekly pay out ANOTHER $400 or so to fix a manufacturers problem just isn't sitting right. Hense the e-mail.

So what do you guys suggest?

I'll post their response, if I get one.

...................Buckshot

calaloo
10-05-2008, 08:47 AM
Buckshot. I've had problems with my Uberti .38-55 as well. The groove diameter is .383. I tried smokeless loads, BP loads, various bullets, swaged PP bullets, etc. Nothing shot worth a shoot. Groups averaged about 4".

I read all the problems that you were having including the run-around. So I've ordered a Green mountain barrel and will install it myself.

Its a shame that Uberti will make and sell such problem rifles and then when they do will do nothing to remedy the problem. The one thing that I will do is not purchase another Uberti product EVER. I bet after reading this thread a lot of people feel the same way. Uberti is loosing sales and seemingly doesn't give a hoot. If that is the way that they want to do business that is their business so I'll take my business elsewhere. Rant over 'nuff said.

Bill

leftiye
10-05-2008, 02:22 PM
Good fer you Buckshot. No reason ever to stifle when someone rips you off. Don't cost much to tell them your mind, but it accomplishes absolutely nothing not to do so. At the prices, and with all the bad press over the years, almost none of them Italian repros are safe to consider in my world. I have only one Ruger rifle. We had a problem. They wouldn't fix it. I never bought another one.

bobk
10-05-2008, 03:50 PM
It's not just the highwalls. About a year ago, I ordered a 2nd model Dragoon from Midway. It is the most beautiful example of the art that I have ever seen. Some time later, I ordered an 1851, something I've been wanting for a very long time. It was the biggest piece of crap I have ever seen! There were so many cosmetic flaws that I did not try it for function. I sent it back to Midway, and they promptly refunded my money.

Only way I will every buy any Uberti product is at a store, or a gunshow. where I can examine it closely before I buy.

Bob K

Nardoo
10-06-2008, 06:44 AM
Buckshot,
I cannot believe how calmly you have presented your case. It certainly does you credit as a gentleman and shows the people you are dealing with to be not.

Get the RCBS or Lyman customer relations department to explain their policy on standing behind their products to Cimarron. I once returned a twenty year old mould to RCBS for repair as some fool had 'adjusted' it. They sent me a brand new one for free!

Cimarron seem to be more interested in sales than providing quality products and service. We buyers need to know this. Thankyou.

Nardoo

Mumblypeg
10-06-2008, 09:18 AM
Buckshot,
I cannot believe how calmly you have presented your case. It certainly does you credit as a gentleman and shows the people you are dealing with to be not.

Get the RCBS or Lyman customer relations department to explain their policy on standing behind their products to Cimarron. I once returned a twenty year old mould to RCBS for repair as some fool had 'adjusted' it. They sent me a brand new one for free!

Cimarron seem to be more interested in sales than providing quality products and service. We buyers need to know this. Thankyou.

Nardoo

He has to be calm. If he gets mad and wants to shoot someone he can't use the Uberti, he will only miss.

carpetman
10-07-2008, 02:04 AM
Hey Buckshot---did you really write that letter? I bet Donna did. I have read 13,374 of your posts and 12,923 had consistent spelled wrong and now you write a letter and it has consistent---that aint well "consistant" with your writing. Was it Donna or spell checker?

Buckshot
10-07-2008, 02:46 AM
Hey Buckshot---did you really write that letter? I bet Donna did. I have read 13,374 of your posts and 12,923 had consistent spelled wrong and now you write a letter and it has consistent---that aint well "consistant" with your writing. Was it Donna or spell checker?

................Guess I screwed up Ray. You know the old thing about an infinite number of monkeys typing? Suppose it was my turn to get it right. And yes, I typed it. I'm proud you're keeping up with me :-)

I DID get a reply from Cimarron this afternoon! I had addressed it to 3 people there. Their "Parts" dept that takes care of warranty stuff, Dealers Sales, and the Marketing and Sales dept.

I got my e-mail back and with an added note from VP of sales to another guy with no title attached to his address. The owner? It said:

"What do you suggest (name deleted) ?"

And at the top, or most recent attachment was this:

Rick - Let me get everyone’s story here.

How did it shoot for us. What ammo used..

Did you get it back from BRO? Does the gun shoot the same as before?

We will make sure that your gun shoots and much better than 4” at 50yds.

I deleted his name from the above rather then post it here.

I guessed the question, "Did you get it back from BRO? Does the gun shoot the same as before? was directed to me, so I replied and inserted this:

Yes, I did get it back from BRO. It shoots to no statistical difference then before being sent. I have the initial sheet of 5 loads and targets shot at the git-go, but no targets after that when I began trying different stuff, as it was all similar or worse. No sense keeping them. Ditto after getting the rifle back. All the same type stuff, no bueno por ca-ca :-). I have a M93 Marlin 38-55 made in 1906. Marbles rear sight and a bead front. Less then new bore, and it has a gouge that passes THROUGH a land and it will absolutely SHAME the Uberti. So far, the only positive shooting experience with the Hi-Wall is that bullets do go through the paper point forward.

I'm anxious to hear what BRO has to say.!

Stay tuned. So far so good. They seem to be genuinely interested. Maybe I'll only be out another $32 shipping and I WILL get a good barrel?

Boz330
10-07-2008, 04:43 PM
Rick,
I see only one problem with that. The same people that screwed up the first barrel are working on it. Sort of like the government fixing the economy, IMHO.

Bob

HeavyMetal
10-14-2008, 12:48 AM
At this point, If you get the go ahead to return it, I would waste no time in pointing out which and who's barrel you would like as a replacement! If you know of a good single shot smith you might suggest he do the work!

Considering the BS you've gone through I don't think such a request would be out of line!

They have now "admitted" they "might" have made a mistake. A desired point in all negotiations is to be the one dealing from a position of power. I belive if your not there you will be as soon as you get the go ahead to return the rifle.

At that point ask for the moon and the stars and see what they offer in return!

Keep us posted I'm real curious to see how they settle this!

Shotgun Luckey
10-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Good Luck Buckshot...from your e-mail it is obvious to me that you have tried to get this rifle to shoot straight. Hope you get some satisfaction.

Buckshot
10-14-2008, 03:59 AM
..............I got another e-mail a few days ago. They wanted the rifle's serial number so they could order another barrel. I know that SOME of these thing will shoot. All I can hope for is that the new one is a good one. I also hope they shoot it before sending it back to me!

10-14-2008, 08:18 AM
Well this story has made me reconsider ever buying an Uberti. As an aside, my friend just bought a Perdoseli (sp?) double ML rifle in some huge caliber (around .80 it seems). One barrel is serviced by a fine trigger and seems to be well made. The second barrel is activated by a trigger with lots of creep and about 15 pounds of pull. The second barrel is of a significantly smaller diameter. The same boolit that will drop freely in the first barrel won't even go in the second barrel without pounding with a ball seater. The barrels seem to be poorly made as they show signifcant chatter marks. Too much grief for guns that cost way over $1,000. Oh, and by the way, when my friend tried to contact the company, Pedersoli didn't have a working USA number with a human being to answer the phone. Buckshot, I wish you luck in resolving your problems. I'll just try and benefit from your ordeal and not buy Uberti. (Or Pedersoli, either.)

.80!!!!!!! What fog was cluttering my synapse when I typed that one. In fact, it is a .58. Some days........

smokemjoe
10-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Buckshot: Have heard how good uberts were, Have friends that have the levers in 44-40 and 38-40, But there was a fellow at the national last month at K. C. Mo. shooting a lever and had been shooting it all summer and it was a bad one also. Joe

madcaster
10-14-2008, 12:35 PM
725,it has made me NOT to even consider buying one!:(

Buckshot
11-01-2008, 11:09 PM
...............I just got word from Cimaron that a new barrel for my rifle has been ordered. Now waiting to hear about WHEN to send the rifle.

................Buckshot

Linstrum
11-02-2008, 12:02 AM
Awright! Glad to hear that. Finally.

What has me cranked out of shape, and no doubt you even more so, is that they spent a bloody damned fortune in company time avoiding spending more or less $70 for a new barrel.

Penny-wise, pound-foolish; and never enough time to do it right but always time to fix it sure come to mind.

It has already been pointed out many, many times by the others who have responded to your post but I'll say it again: Too bad they will never know exactly how much this little episode has cost them in goodwill, reputation, and future sales.

I hope somebody is smart enough to run a bore scope down the new barrel before it becomes yours.

Good luck!

rl463

Jon K
11-02-2008, 12:36 AM
Hey Rick,

That's good news about a new barrel, but....................I was reading all the old posts about this gun, and I feel your hurt bud. It's been 1 year this Friday. I think if it were me.........when it comes back, and it doesn't perform................I would order a Green Mountain barrel, and put this as far behind me as possible, and take some never again pills.

I hope and pray they get it right this time,

Jon

9.3X62AL
11-02-2008, 01:18 AM
Persistence may have finally paid off, Rick. I hope so anyway. I can guaran-darn-tee ya I won't be buying any Uberti or Cimarron products. $1,400 and "only to CAS standards".......what the H-word izzat? My very worn 111-year-old Win 1873 could out-do that High-Wall's work. Whatta crock!

Uberti/Cimarron, I hope you're looking on.

rockrat
11-03-2008, 11:25 PM
I wanted one of those to rechamber to 38-72. Not going to waste my money now. Glad my last Cimarron was about 8 years ago when they were decent quality.

Buckshot
03-14-2009, 03:58 AM
..............I sent my rifle off to Tejas Longarms in Bryan, TX per Cimarron's instructions and they got it Feb 13th. I got it back on 3- 11 with it's new barrel. A quick look at the bore at the muzzle showed it was smooth. Reflective smooth. The old one had saw teeth atop the lands. A patch glides down the new bore smoothly where the old one had 5 hitches along the way, and needed an extra 'tap' to get it out the muzzle.

Even the outside is better. Actually the finish of the old one was pretty nice. A very even nice dark blue, but the edges of the octagon barree had the faintest trace of rounding. Probably when being polished. The new one is 'crisper' in it's octagon shape. Also reurned with the rifle is a slug and a note indicating a .380" groove. I have 100 jacketed 220gr slugs so I plan on sending 50 of'em down the barrel before starting out with cast.

..............Buckshot

GLL
03-14-2009, 11:04 AM
I look forward to hearing the final results !

Jerry

HeavyMetal
03-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Can you tell who made the barrel?

I'm curious if they used a Pedersoli, found a decent Uberti or went to an outside contractor to make you happy.

BY the way I'm thinking this is about a year and a half start to finish? Good thing you own another gun or you might have starved to death!

Looking forward to seeing how it shoots.

jh45gun
03-14-2009, 12:46 PM
Just a quick comment as I do not know anything about Uberti rifles but I sure do like my pistol and the barrel in that is smooth and nice. From what I have seen with guns even US made guns you can get a bad one now and then. That is the reason I WILL NOT buy a Ruger handgun anymore as I have had several bad ones. Bottom line is what the company will do to fix the problem that counts. Glad to hear they finally addressed your problem.

MtGun44
03-14-2009, 03:35 PM
After all the PITA, sounds like somebody actually DOES care. Who'd
a thunk it?

Very curious to know how it shoots, but sounds like it should work.

Glad to hear you finally got thru.

Bill

juanvaldez
03-14-2009, 04:42 PM
Wow good for you..please post your results, very anxious to see what it will do.

Tom Herman
03-16-2009, 09:26 AM
From what I have seen with guns even US made guns you can get a bad one now and then. That is the reason I WILL NOT buy a Ruger handgun anymore as I have had several bad ones. Bottom line is what the company will do to fix the problem that counts. Glad to hear they finally addressed your problem.

Hi,

I hear you on the Rugers! I bought three Redhawks in .45 LC (different bbl lengths) in a row, and they all needed work before they would extract properly.
S,R & Co. probabaly didn't make any money from me, but the guns work GREAT now!
I wish they had sent them out right the first time.

Happy Shootin'! -Tom

Linstrum
03-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Well, Buckshot, glad to hear that you are making progress with your rifle. I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is a bullseye and not another freight train headed your way! Man, what a PITA this turned out to be.

Now that you have a milling machine, maybe when you have the ambition and time you can make a decent Manifest Destiny Era falling block that will be the best one of its kind in your stable of rifles. Did you ever locate De Haas' book on falling blocks?

Good Luck!

rl517

9.3X62AL
03-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Buckshot--

Drag that re-barrelled critter up here to Ridgecrest, and find out what it can do at distance. Bring Glen and the rest of those Burrito Banditos with ya.

runfiverun
03-16-2009, 01:12 PM
i woulda lost patience long ago.
i had a franchi shotgun that was similar story.
i finally mailed it back to them in a box.
amazing what a saws all will cut up........still pissed about that.

Buckshot
03-19-2009, 02:28 AM
............Been loading a little ammo for the Hi Wall. I have 50 rounds loaded with 220gr Hornady jacketed SP's as a bit of barrel break in fodder. I also slugged the barrel myself, even though the warranty place sent their example back in a plastic baggie. My slug matches their's. It has a .373" land and .380" groove.

http://www.fototime.com/7ABF62D9CE640A0/standard.jpg

I only had 10 swaged and patched slugs, and at .382" for the old Uberti barrel I wondered if this new rifle would accept them. I'd checked first and the new barrel WILL swallow a fired unsized case from the old barrel. And as it turns out it will also take these (same as loaded for the old barrel). Thank goodness the swage dies I made up are still going to be useable!

.............Buckshot

03-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Seems like this ordeal has been about a year. What a PITA. Good luck!