PDA

View Full Version : Selecting a boolit.......?

Knarley
08-17-2017, 07:10 PM
OK, another "newbie" type question................I guess I've lived a sheltered life.
I started this journey of BPCR kind of "fat, dumb, and happy"
I didn't know there was such a plethora of powders, Black that is.
And I was familiar with some of the different mould companies.............but then again I am becoming aware of another plethora.
So how does a mere mortal like me, determine the best boolit mould to go with when there are so many to choose from? I know, time at the range, but some of them moulds aint cheap.
I'm more of a Midway USA type guy, and just buying a custom mould would take some research, and research means shooting them, and shooting them means buying the mould.
Kinda which came first, the chicken or the egg type deal.
I hate to say this, but they all start lookin' the same after a bit.
So where is a good place to start?
Thanks,
Knarely

Don McDowell
08-17-2017, 08:10 PM
This one is fairly popular among 38-55 shiloh shooters, I also shot in in a Uberti highway, but the twist was a bit slow to keep it stable at distance https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10005

country gent
08-17-2017, 08:33 PM
Knarly, your on the right first step asking for what bullet first before buying the mould. Twist rate is a big factor in bullet section. My 38-55 has a McGowen 1-12 twist barrel and it loves the 360 grn Nasa from Bernie Roweles at Old West moulds. This bullet I close to 1.5" long. It also does well with the 335 grn Lymann. The 312 rcbs not quite as good. A buddies C Sharps high wall with 1-14 twist really did well with the 312grn RCBS. Another thing that's helps with the decision is to put a post in Swaping and Selling for 38-55 bullets to test In your rifle, 25 or so will give an idea if they will work and how well. Still have the range and testing time but is the added trigger time that bad?

Knarley
08-17-2017, 09:08 PM
This one is fairly popular among 38-55 shiloh shooters, I also shot in in a Uberti highway, but the twist was a bit slow to keep it stable at distance https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/10005

I have this mould already, even a blind dog finds a bone now and then.
Thanx

beltfed
08-17-2017, 10:38 PM
Knarley
"Get your feet wet" with that Lyman 335 bullet- it works in many 38-55s.
Also, get on/attend the Shiloh forum looking/asking for info/loads for your particular rifle.
bpcr.net also.
beltfed/arnie

Jim2
08-19-2017, 04:34 PM
Buffalo Arms has an array of cast bullets that are sized and lubed. Look them over and see if there's any you like and order a box to try in your rifle.

Jim