PDA

View Full Version : Cast iron prep/care (smelting pot/ingot molds)

MAGA
08-16-2017, 08:36 PM
I acquired a lodge cast iron sectioned cornbread pan that was stored in my parents outbuilding for a few years and it is well seasoned and but dirty (enough stuff to smear your finger in)
Also I am actively looking for a 10" skillet or Dutch oven to use for smelting

Is there any special prep I need to do for use with lead? Get the seasoning off?
Also does surface rust hurt? And how would you keep it from rusting after use? Any special care?

Thanks!

GhostHawk
08-16-2017, 09:07 PM
I have an old cast iron 7" fry pan that I cast with for 4 decades.

No prep, bottom rust's a bit from time to time. When I see it I rub a little bullet lube into it.

Get it hot, the lube/oil is going to burn off anyway.

For easy rust prevent a can of WD-40 or heck Pam would do. Once it is cooled scrape it clean, bit of 0000 steel wool and give it a spray of some kind of oil.

Good till the next time you need it.

Now seasoning cast to cook with is another matter.

lightman
08-16-2017, 09:46 PM
I spray my cast iron ingot molds with whatever type oil that I have laying around the shop after a smelting session. I usually don't bother to degrease them unless they have been idle long enough to collect dirt and dust. Then they get a shot of brake cleaner.

That iron corn bread mold might have more value as a family heirloom or a useful cooking device than as an ingot mold. Just a thought, but people collect older cast iron cook ware.

DerekP Houston
08-16-2017, 10:09 PM
Just don't ruin a good wagner or griswold. Do what you will with those lodge pieces though. If you are smelting lead in it I assume anything cooking related will cook off as it heats up and just deposit carbon in the lead. Stir well and good luck

MAGA
08-16-2017, 10:29 PM
I spray my cast iron ingot molds with whatever type oil that I have laying around the shop after a smelting session. I usually don't bother to degrease them unless they have been idle long enough to collect dirt and dust. Then they get a shot of brake cleaner.

That iron corn bread mold might have more value as a family heirloom or a useful cooking device than as an ingot mold. Just a thought, but people collect older cast iron cook ware.

Thanks!
Luckily it's not a family heirloom my parents bought it a couple years ago and even after many uses they never got it to where the cornbread didn't stick so I think they just gave up on it
Lucky me :mrgreen:

DerekP Houston
08-16-2017, 10:42 PM
Thanks!
Luckily it's not a family heirloom my parents bought it a couple years ago and even after many uses they never got it to where the cornbread didn't stick so I think they just gave up on it
Lucky me :mrgreen:

that's pretty standard for 'new age' cast iron from lodge. Its nothing compared to the original stuff my grandparents grew up with and its why I collect antique cookware.

Echo
08-17-2017, 04:30 PM
I painted most of my ingot molds with Hi-Temp (1300*) paint. But no matter what, iron (and steel!) WILL rust! the molds are doing OK, but they look a little funky...

lwknight
08-17-2017, 11:51 PM
I have never done anything except wipe out any excessive rust with scotch-brite and never had any trouble. Just don't leave them out in the rain and everything will be just fine.

D Crockett
08-20-2017, 11:18 PM
I am going to give those that use cast iron pots to melt lead in a safety tip what ever you do do not hit the side of the pot with your ladle to nock out any lead that has built up in the ladle I used to use a cast iron pot and did that one day to nock out some junk in the ladle and quicker than you can blink a eye there was a hair line crack in my pot with a thin stream of lead pouring out of the pot, (what a mess ) that is when I went to a steel pot and never had a bit of trouble with it. D Crockett

lwknight
08-20-2017, 11:34 PM
Yes, it is true that using cast iron has a possible drawback that could get someone hurt. Always setup as if you think there might be a leak spring in your pot someday and you will do just fine. Thanks for the reminder D. Crockett.