PDA

View Full Version : does case swaging help loose primer pockets?

mozeppa
08-16-2017, 04:08 PM
title says it all.

dragon813gt
08-16-2017, 04:10 PM
No, all it does is remove the crimp on the edge of the pocket.

Hick
08-16-2017, 07:21 PM
There doesn't seem to be any simple process to fix enlarged primer pockets. Better to toss the brass. I had a few 30-06 cases given to me by a friend with primer pockets enlarged (would not hold a primer). They would not even fit in the shell holder. After much work I got them sized down to fit the shell holder-- then full length sized them multiple times until they were back to SAAMI spec, and the primers STILL fell out of the primer pockets. All that work to just end up doing what I should have done in the beginning: toss the brass.

Bayou52
08-23-2017, 12:17 PM
Primer pocket swaging will remove crimps but can do nothing to tighten a loose primer pocket. As mentioned earlier, pitch those cases that have excessively loose primer pockets in order to help prevent gasses from escaping from around the primer upon ignition.

Bayou52

flashhole
08-23-2017, 08:45 PM
The question was related to case swaging, nothing was said about primer pocket swaging. I interpreted his question to be about running a straight wall case through a die like the Lee Bulge Buster. Maybe I'm off base (wouldn't be the first time) but to the OP's point. I've not paid direct attention where case swaging (running the case through a total resizer die) will impact the size of the primer pocket.

nicholst55
08-23-2017, 09:06 PM
A couple of companies offer what they call 'case savers' for swaging stretched primer pockets, like this: http://www.rwhart.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=dhb%2Df%2Dswage%2Dlg

Personally, unless I owned a rifle chambered for an obsolete or really rare cartridge where brass cost me $5+ a pop, I wouldn't even consider their use. Brass is just too cheap to take a chance, IMHO.