PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on a Win 94 in 25-35. Help me out Guys!!

The Dust Collector
08-01-2008, 08:54 PM
I have an opportunity to purchase a Winchester 94 in 25-35 WCF. It dates to 1935. It is in unusually fine condition through out.
I have never owned a rifle under 30 caliber with the exception of my Ruger #3 in .223. I have not and never intend to own a firearm that I will not shoot. Except for the .223, I have shot only cast boolits in my other arms for many years. BUT, I am totally unfamiliar with the 25-35 WCF in every way.
The rifle is just to pretty to pass up, but to be sure it WILL be used if and when I buy it. I need the thoughts of my friends here to enlighten me about the viability of this rifle/cartridge combination and about some good combinations of cast boolits and loads.
Your input will be greatly appreciated! :castmine:

Beaverhunter2
08-01-2008, 11:22 PM
I'm unfamiliar with 25-35 as well. However, if I had the opportunity (and the $) to buy one- I would.

Too many good comments on the caliber to doubt it.

John

Buckshot
08-02-2008, 03:09 AM
..............9.3x62AL has one and it's a dandy shooter with lead (or jacketed). I'd heard that the Eskimo's have taken several Polar Bears with that cartridge. Doesn't mean I'd like to try it, but I DID read that :-)

................Buckshot

mag44uk
08-02-2008, 05:03 AM
Just buy it.................you know you want to!
Post a piccy when you get it please.
Tony

Bass Ackward
08-02-2008, 06:59 AM
You can't extol the advantages for a caliber like that. You just have to try it. The first time you pull the trigger you will automatically say, why I can ...................

Years ago, the Game Commission taught people to trap heavily in this area. Fur got a lot of guys through the Depression. Favorite totter? 25-35 WCF

Just Duke
08-02-2008, 07:57 AM
Get it! That sounds like a fun cartridge to load and cast for. I would get it just because it says Winchester.

Heavy lead
08-02-2008, 08:12 AM
I've been looking for one locally, I wanted a new one when Winchester ran a special run of them 2 months before they went out of business. Never have loaded or shot one, but that's half the fun. What a great gun to call coyotes with in the woods!

Bret4207
08-02-2008, 08:38 AM
I have a Savage 99 in 25-35. I think Hornady still make the correct 117 RN jacketed design for it. There are few correct cast designs floating around. You want something in a RN/FN about 120 gr. , Lyman # 257306 and 325 are the correct GC moulds. They go high on Ebay. The lighter boolits will work fine too. Brass and dies are pretty easy to obtain or make. I'd get it if I could swing it.

Throckmorton
08-02-2008, 09:43 AM
"I would get it just because it says Winchester."

ditto ! :)

I don'thave any guns that I needed,but several that I wanted..and I would 'want' that one.!

The Dust Collector
08-02-2008, 10:00 AM
The Gent that is selling this rifle is not a shooter what so ever. He is financially independent, and is/can be a player of games ( eccentric Winny collector ). That is where the "IF" comes in. He knows that I want it and wants to tease me in the process. He's offered it to me for a more than fair price. He likes his "****" kissed a bit and if it is only a bit I can live with the idea but there is a limit to my hypocrisy! Any of you folks been there?
So that's my situation at the moment. I figure that I will have it within a two week period if all goes well. When I do, I will have pictures and the final price paid for you.
I have a vast library and in searching for the 25-35 data is limited at best
(as compared to other cartridges). This is the reason for this posting. Just wanted to know your experiences and thoughts for this rifle/cartridge combo.
I have been told stories of the "prowess" of this combo stating mosquito stopping accuracy to the taking of large bears in Northern Wisconsin. In my minds eye, I think that it is not that versatile as I am a believer that 30 cal is a small bore if you get my drift............ But that' just me!

crabo
08-02-2008, 10:44 AM
"He likes his "****" kissed a bit and if it is only a bit I can live with the idea but there is a limit to my hypocrisy! Any of you folks been there?"

The "taste" will be be gone quickly but the gun will be yours forever.

MT Gianni
08-02-2008, 11:00 AM
I spent a couple of afternoons with Howard Copenhaver who was a friend of a friend. He was instrumental in starting the MT outfillers association. He shot a 25-35 as he was recoil shy. He killed many elk and deer with it along with a very nice grizzly at close range. He didn't recommend the cartridge,only stated that it worked for him. Gianni

JDL
08-02-2008, 11:21 AM
I believe that Ray Atkinson has stated that, as a boy, he killed numerious deer and elk with a .25-35 and even today he occasionally takes one out for a hunt. I would really like to have one especially in a Savage 99!
JDL

floodgate
08-02-2008, 11:44 AM
When I was about 13, a friend's father let me shoot his .25-35 - the first center-fire I had ever fired. The old boy had gotten 9 mule deer with it in 10 or 11 shots over 10 years; he felt it was "enough gun" for that purpose.

floodgate

6pt-sika
08-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't own a 25-35 , but I do own a 25-36 Marlin . And for all intents and purposes they are the same thing .

Anyway I cast and load for my 25-36 . It's a fun gun to shoot to say the least !

I actually can shoot 25-35 factory loads in mine with no ill effects !

But I just normally use 25-35 brass , load and shoot [smilie=1:

264 Win Mag
08-02-2008, 04:22 PM
I bought one of the new Winchester's and it has been a hoot. I was told it was too valuable to shoot but I am like you Dust and will not spend money for something to set on the shelf.

Thomas

Bret4207
08-02-2008, 06:57 PM
The Gent that is selling this rifle is not a shooter what so ever. He is financially independent, and is/can be a player of games ( eccentric Winny collector ). That is where the "IF" comes in. He knows that I want it and wants to tease me in the process. He's offered it to me for a more than fair price. He likes his "****" kissed a bit and if it is only a bit I can live with the idea but there is a limit to my hypocrisy! Any of you folks been there?
So that's my situation at the moment. I figure that I will have it within a two week period if all goes well. When I do, I will have pictures and the final price paid for you.
I have a vast library and in searching for the 25-35 data is limited at best
(as compared to other cartridges). This is the reason for this posting. Just wanted to know your experiences and thoughts for this rifle/cartridge combo.
I have been told stories of the "prowess" of this combo stating mosquito stopping accuracy to the taking of large bears in Northern Wisconsin. In my minds eye, I think that it is not that versatile as I am a believer that 30 cal is a small bore if you get my drift............ But that' just me!

Just the other day I was with Dano67. I was buying a Kathadin ram for my flock. The seller is a retired Marine Mustang and the war stories were flowing in full force. It took about an hour to cut the deal. I was apologizing to Dan about taking so long and mentioned I'd be paying about $2-400.00 less than I thought I'd have to. Dan said, "Hey,if your saving a few hundred bucks I can listen to a LOT of BS!!!"

That Dan, he's a smart feller!:drinks:

BTW- Ken Waters did an excellent write up on the 25-35 in his "Pet Loads" series.

Four Fingers of Death
08-02-2008, 09:47 PM
Dies and brass are readily obtainable. I walked into my friends shop and walked out with 2xbags Remington Brass and a set of Lee dies. I picked up two moulds off the site here, but unfortunately the gun dealer did a number on me. My friend saw the gun, some 250miles from where I live called me on his mobile/cell phone and I got him to put a deposit on it right away. he said there was two rifle, a 32/20 and a 25/20. They were in good overall condition and both had a great barrel. He wanted the 32/20 and I wanted a 25/20, perfect. I turned up a few weeks later and the shonky B walks out with a Oct bbl wall hanger, covered in an even rust patina with a stuffed barrel. I was not amused. Sheez.....

I got the gear, now I need a rifle. Go get the 1894 it is an excellent little cartridge.

The Dust Collector
08-03-2008, 11:32 AM
My copy of Ken Waters' PET LOADS is a first edition dated to 1979. It has the 25 Remington but not the 25-35 WCF. I have been told that the 25 Rem is very similar to the 25-35 and loading data is "suppose" to be interchangeable. But then again I would like to see what Ken has to say. Do any of you Gents have Ken's 25-35 write up and if so, could a copy be provided? PM me if you wish............ Thanx

floodgate
08-03-2008, 06:16 PM
I'd think is is the .25 Remington data - not that for the .30 Rem. - that is to be compared with the .25-35; BUT, the .25 Rem. is a more efficient case (straighter body; sharper shoulder; 59 grs. case volume vs. 55 for the .25-35, per Ken Howell), and in some loads and rifles works at a bit higher pressures, so be cautious in using the .25 Rem. data for the .25-35.

floodgate

EDIT: PS, Ken Waters wrote up the .25 Rem. in "Handloader" #46 (Nov./Dec. 1973); he says: "Generally looked upon as a rimless counterpart of Winchester's .25-35. it was, in its original loading, considerably better ballistically. The 117-grain bullets were given a muzzle velocity of 2,127 fps as compared to the .25-35's MV of only 1,978 fps with the same weight bullet." - FG

cuzinbruce
08-03-2008, 07:20 PM
My old Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (the first one) combines the data for both the 25 Rem and 25/35, and for the 30 Rem and 30/30.

Added: By which I mean one chart for the .25's and another for the 30's. Sorry for any confusion.

The Dust Collector
08-03-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't know why I said 30 Rem. My mind seems to be getting in my way. I did mean
25 Rem. It seems that I am beginning to suffer from CRS! SORRY

44 flattop
08-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Buy it and forget about the taste. I have a 1939 Model 64 that I have been shooting for almost 40 years now. They are super accurate and easy to reload for. I've been shooting cast in mine for more years than jacketed just because I had years I couldn't afford them!

I've taken deer, bear and grouse with that little beauty. Even remember eating a few pheasants years and years ago............... I can't recommend the 25-35 enough.

ACK450
08-04-2008, 06:11 PM
Hey Dust Collector: Buy that 25-35 before it get's sold to someone else! They are accurate, light recoiling old guns, and just a hoot to shoot.
I only shoot cast in my M-94 most of the time and have had good luck with the RCBS 100 gr flat nose gas check. RCBS still makes the mold but in special order only any more.
You can get these bullets @ WWW.MONTANABULLETWORKS.COM Their bullets are excellent and they are wonderful people to deal with.
Try that bullet with a std rifle primer and IMR 30-31 powder. It shoots better than I can.
I'll second what 44 Flattop and others have said. It's a great rifle in a wonderful little cartridge.

hydraulic
08-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Back in 1972 my wife bought a 1917 octogon barrel Model 94 in .25-35 for my father's day present. She saved her grocery money for months until she got $100 together. The old guy she bought it from had bought it new. I found two boxes of 'Winchester yellow box cartridges in a local gift shop for $2.48 a box, and that's all the shells I had for many years. I shot 3 bucks and a coyote with that rifle. A couple of years ago the old guy's grandson came to me and wanted to buy the rifle back. I said I'd sell it for what I could get for it at a gun show. We finally agreed on $800. He was sure he had been snookered until he went to a gun shop for shells and told the dealer what he had paid and was offered $1000 sight unseen. The old guy had taken the $100 and added $10 to it and bought a brand new Browning Auto 5 3inch mag. The grandson had that gun, too.

The Dust Collector
08-28-2008, 09:46 PM
The gent that has this 25-35 Winny finally quit jacking me around and stated his price. Get this! $1500 but he'll LET me have it for $1000.... I don't think so! Nice yes, but not $1000 nice. He also doesn't like the idea that it would be shot either. So the H!!! with him.

The Dust Collector
08-28-2008, 10:01 PM
That fair price that was stated was just to peak my intrest and to get me going. I did not anticipate him changing his price at the last minute either.
He sure knows how to make friends and impress people. Needless to say that I will NEVER have anything to do with him again. PMO!!!!

Mavrick
08-29-2008, 05:54 PM
I got hold of a 1941 .32 Special, and since i've no real use for one, I decided I need a .25/35 even more. I rebarrelled to .25/35 Improved, and used a 22" 10"-twist barrel, and cut the magazine back to 1/2 mag. The sights are bead front with Lyman peep(Merit Corp hunting-disc)on the rear. It cost a whole lot less than $1000! If you can do some of the work yourself, like stock refinishing, it'll cost even less.
I use a Lyman 64gr flatpoint gascheck most of the time, with a little bit of a great many different pistol powders. I use a chronograph to get a velocity of 1200fps, cause I think my Rifle is a .25/20.
From time to time, I raise the velocity to, 1400, 1600, or 2400fps, to take the place of .256 Magnum or .22WMR. Have you ever heard of "barking" squirrels? The next one down the tube can be a 117gr roundnose j-word, if needed.
Tell your benefactor to "blow it out HIS ****" and build it your way and have a NEW rifle.
Have fun,
Gene

Mavrick
08-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Dust Collector- Disregard the quote above if he's you father in law!
Gene

The Dust Collector
08-30-2008, 04:03 PM
No, He's not related in any way to me. He's just somebody I know in passing. As you may have noticed, he's not a friend. More than likely doesn't have any either...........

Gerry N.
02-03-2009, 07:42 PM
The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was my Grandpa's .25-35 M94 26" oct. barrel rifle. That thing has to weigh at least 9 lbs. He bought it new in 1922 to shoot coyotes for fun and antelope to eat. He carried it in a scabbard on his saddle for many years, then gave it to his son, my uncle for both of us to use antelope hunting. My uncle was 13 and I was 7. We rode double on my uncle's horse about 7 or 8 miles out onto the praire near Faith, SD on our first antelope hunt without an adult along. that would have been in 1952. We got one shot at an antelope and my uncle took it. He got that "goat" right in the head. I used the rifle until 1964 or 65 when my uncle wanted it back. We still take it out and shoot from time to time. The bore still looks new. Anyway the .25-35 has got to be one of the easiest going calibers ever. I have a nice little pre-64 M94 that I'd dearly like to re-barrel in .25-35 to go with my T-C Contender .25-35, if I could get my boogerhooks on a barrel.

Anyone know of one that's available?

Gerry N