PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite squirrel recipes?

dale2242
08-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Gray squirrel season opens here S Oregon Sept 1. What are your favorite squirrel recipes?---dale

waksupi
08-01-2008, 08:42 PM
Dale, if they are anything like the pine squirrels here in Montana, try this. Shoot three or four squirrels. Place in large kettle. Add enough pine cones and water, to bring the contents level. Boil for two hours, and eat. At that time, the squirrels will still have thier same pine flavor as they started out with, but the pine cones will have a light skim of grease. Dispose of the squirrels, and finish eating the pine cones.

Lead melter
08-02-2008, 08:40 AM
3 large squirrels, boil until tender..at least 45 minutes.

Cool, pull meat from bones, be sure to remove all shot and small bones.

Place meat in large pot along with 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 2 cans peeled whole or sliced potatoes, 1 can drained whole kernel corn (optional), 1 pound sour cream, one can chicken boullion.

Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, your coice of spices to taste.

Simmer at least one hour. Longer simmering is better.

Serve over egg noodles, white rice, or mashed potatoes.

357maximum
08-02-2008, 01:01 PM
MY TREE RAT RECIPE

I get 100+ grey and fox squirrels with my 3 MT. Curs everyear...this is how I do it 90% of the time.

Get a good set of GameShears

.quarter the squirrels, and cut the ribs off next to the "loins"...this will give you five pieces total.

.lightly season the pieces with Lawrys brand Leomon Pepper, and kosher salt.

.dip the pieces in beaten egg

.lightly bread the pieces in cracker crumbs (fine)

.brown the squirrels on high heat

.after the pieces are browned lightly add a cup of water to the skillet, put the lid on, and lightly simmer on low for about an hour or so, while turning over occassionally....DO NOT LET IT DRY OUT.

. :-D enjoy some durn good tasting and tender morsels:-D

44man
08-04-2008, 11:16 AM
Let's see if it will post. Best ever!
Squirrel Au VIN

Serves: 2-4

Prep Time: 3 hours, 30 minutes

2 squirrels, cut up 1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced 1/2-cup flour 4-6 carrots, cut in halves
1 tsp. salt lengthwise
1/4 tsp. pepper 1 cup chicken broth
6 bacon slices 1 cup red burgundy wine 2 large onions, thinly 1/2 tsp. garlic chips
Sliced 1/2 tsp. salt
Coat squirrels with seasoned flour (flour, salt and pepper). In large skillet or Dutch oven, fry bacon until crisp; then, remove and drain meat. Brown squirrel and set aside. Add onions and mushrooms to pan, and cook until onions are tender. Put squirrel back into pan. Crumble bacon and add remaining ingredients. Cover and simmer for 2-3 hours or until squirrel is tender.
Carl Runke
Hl]t~l1in,c;()n Minnesota
I
My version; Use dried Morel mushrooms and reconstitute with half water, half milk. Use this liquid to make the
Broth. The flavour is intense. Substitute ****akes or Portobello’s, dried if possible.

Lloyd Smale
08-24-2008, 08:13 AM
boy the montanan squirels must be alot different then the gray ones hear in michigan as there some of the best tasted wild game a guy can collect.
Dale, if they are anything like the pine squirrels here in Montana, try this. Shoot three or four squirrels. Place in large kettle. Add enough pine cones and water, to bring the contents level. Boil for two hours, and eat. At that time, the squirrels will still have thier same pine flavor as they started out with, but the pine cones will have a light skim of grease. Dispose of the squirrels, and finish eating the pine cones.

kycrawler
08-24-2008, 05:21 PM
yep the montana squirels are different here in the mid west they feed on acorns hickorys and corn montana they eat pine nuts and scrub

3 squirels cut and quartered
3 fresh carrots cut
3-4 tenis ball sized potatos cut into pieces not peeled
2 packs brown gravy mix
2 beef bullion cubes

combine all ingredients in crock pot before work and cover with water let cook 8-10 hours when you get home pull the squirrel pieces and veggies out of the pot measure out 6 cups of broth and blend with flour /corn startch to make gravy serve squirrel and potatos with gravy and fresh bread on the side

Sprue
09-01-2008, 11:43 AM
Nothing fancy here. Theres only one way to cook up a kuntry squirrel dinner.

Boil 2-3 sectioned squirrels until tender, thicken the broth use as gravy. Serve with green beans, mashed potatoes & gravy with fresh from the oven homemade buttermilk biscuits.

TexRebel
09-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Find the Jambalaya recipes, I posted here and add squirrel [smilie=l:

dk17hmr
09-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I shoot 30-40 squirrels a year I start by quatering them, boiling until tender 30-45 minutes. Then fire up the grill lightly cover them in Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce and cook them like chicken...rabbits are very good cooked this way also.

I also deep fry them in Drakes batter. Nothing really speical about that.

The girlfriend will eat grill squirrel but not big on the deep fried.

Side note: Michigan Squirrel hunters, maybe we should have a group hunt?

jack19512
09-01-2008, 09:38 PM

That's how I generally do mine and I don't know how I do it but somehow I miss some bone everytime. [smilie=1:

Lucky Joe
09-01-2008, 09:41 PM
I shoot 30-40 squirrels a year I start by quatering them, boiling until tender 30-45 minutes. Then fire up the grill lightly cover them in Sweet Baby Rays bbq sauce and cook them like chicken...rabbits are very good cooked this way also.

I also deep fry them in Drakes batter. Nothing really speical about that.

The girlfriend will eat grill squirrel but not big on the deep fried.

Side note: Michigan Squirrel hunters, maybe we should have a group hunt?

I think you, Lloyd Smale, 357 Maximum and I bout have the state covered. North, South, East and West. Might be worth a try sometime.

Boz330
09-04-2008, 10:10 AM
3 large squirrels, boil until tender..at least 45 minutes.

Place meat in large pot along with 2 cans cream of mushroom soup, 2 cans peeled whole or sliced potatoes, 1 can drained whole kernel corn (optional), 1 pound sour cream, one can chicken boullion.

Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, your coice of spices to taste.

Simmer at least one hour. Longer simmering is better.

Serve over egg noodles, white rice, or mashed potatoes.

Boy this sounds really good, have to give it a try.

Rick is not kidding about those MT squirrels. I shot one for camp meat while on an elk hunt, it was pretty bad. Unless starving they would be pretty safe from me. Besides the rabbits and Blue Grouse are way to easy to take.

Bob

REDTAIL
09-26-2008, 02:01 AM
Man you havent tasted squirrels unless you tasted the ones running around in centeral park in NYC, park rats ummmmmmmm

Ken O
10-24-2008, 08:10 PM
boy the montanan squirels must be alot different then the gray ones hear in michigan as there some of the best tasted wild game a guy can collect.

I have mostly black squirrels here, supposed to be a phase of the grey.

Bullshop Junior
10-24-2008, 09:00 PM
people around here say befor you cook them soak them over night in some kind of gas.
BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

georgeky
10-24-2008, 09:40 PM
Cut it up and soak overnight in salt water. Then roll in flour, salt and pepper. Pan fry in a cast iron or electric skillet just like chicken. Then bake some homemade biscuits, make a batch of milk gravy in the squirrel skillet, mashed taters, a ripe mater, and big glass of cold milk. Good stuff!

They are a bit piney here too until the hardwood mass is ready then they get good.

jackley
10-26-2008, 06:39 PM

Lloyd they are like the red squirels you have back there maybe even a tad smaller.

Jerry