PDA

View Full Version : Why I chose the Dillon 650 over the 550

6bg6ga
08-15-2017, 07:21 AM
I finally got the 650 to feel like it should when loading with no more jerking and slinging power out of the cases. It was one of those thoughts that had me thinking about a 550 when I purchased the press. Things I like about the 550 are the ability to index the machine when I want to instead of the machine doing it and the lower cost die holders. The biggest thing about the 550 that turned me off was the primer setup. Its just like the small square deal press and I had my share of primer problems with it probably 90% of the time until Dillon sent me all new stuff for it.

Sure, you can make some scrap with the 650 and end up with 20 or so partially loaded cases in various stages. It teaches one to be alert and on guard when loading unlike the 550 which could allow one to go to sleep with the hum drum of this is where I put the cartridge in and then cycle the press and then index the press and well if I forget to put a bullet in its no big deal.

The 650 allows one to either opt for a bullet collator or add a bullet dropper, to add a case collator, to install a powder cop to monitor powder in the case.

Until the recent add ons I had begun to think I had made a mistake with the 650 because I got tired of cleaning the shell plate of the spilled powder and mess. Now, it smooth machine with the addition of the thrust bearing and washers and the advance plate being replace with one with a roller bearing. The addition of the rod with the roller on the bottom was a complete waste of money in my opinion as it didn't seem to help with the case dropping action. It made it no smoother but simply looks more engineered with the roller bearing.

If they had made the 550 with the 650 primer setup I probably would have chose that model over the 650. These are just my thoughts associated with the Dillon 550 and 650 presses that I have had the experience running and setting up.

jmorris
08-15-2017, 09:16 AM
Yeah it almost broke my heart when I got my first 1050 and it had the same primer tube orifice tip that the SD and 550 have.

The only problem with the 650 is that there is always a primer ready to be seated and if your wanting to load ammunition that's not much of a problem.

mdhillbilly1
08-15-2017, 12:16 PM
Yeah it almost broke my heart when I got my first 1050 and it had the same primer tube orifice tip that the SD and 550 have.

The only problem with the 650 is that there is always a primer ready to be seated and if your wanting to load ammunition that's not much of a problem.I wanted to ask which units has the built in swagger add-on and is it better than the desktop unit

I wanted to know does anyone make a automatic shell and bullet drop machine for the 550 or 650.

Can you add the automatic powder dispenser to the 550.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

L Erie Caster
08-15-2017, 12:54 PM
The 1050 is the only press with built in swager.
Dillon makes case feeders for both the XL650 and RL550, however the 550 case feed only works for pistol calibers.
All presses come with case activated powder measures standard.
The Dillon web site explains all of this.

jmorris
08-15-2017, 02:12 PM
Yep the 1050 is the one with the swage station and it is second to none. It's done as part of the normal loading process and has a back up rod that goes inside the case like other decent swagers, that supports the force of the operation. There are after market devices for the 550 and 650 that swage without a back up rod using the rim of the case and the shell plate to hold the case. They don't work as well, you have to swage as a separate operation because you have to remove the priming system to install them and they void Dillon's warranty.

The 650 comes from the factory with automatic case feed. There is a tube you put cases in and all of the devices that take the cases from the tube and put them in the shell plate are there in the box. What they sell as the optional "case feed" is actually a case collator, just the device that fills the tube for you. The 550 case feed is an after thought but some folks like it for pistol rounds and fewer have made it work for short rifle cases too.

There are a number of folks that make bullet feeders, the best you can get now is the MRbulletfeeder, unless you can find a used GSI.

The only presses they sell without a powder measure are the BL550 and the BFR, all the rest come with a powder measure and two powder bars. You can add a measure to the BL550 as well as a priming system, it's just a stripped down RL 550.