PDA

View Full Version : Light Weight Carbine?

rintinglen
08-14-2017, 12:51 PM
I'm looking for a lightweight carbine for my grand kids to learn with. Any suggestions?

LAGS
08-14-2017, 03:09 PM
If you want something very light weight then look at the ChiarpaLittle Badger.
I survival style Carbine that is kid sized.
Not the traditional wood stock rifle Carbine, but there is enough there to teach a kid to shoot with.
It comes with M1 Carbine style adjustable sights and a multi function rail for things like a flashlight , Lazer or Red Dot if you want to accessorize.

Ickisrulz
08-14-2017, 03:48 PM
Henry, Savage, Marlin and Crickett all make youth sized .22 bolt action rifles. I am pretty sure the Crickett is the shortest of the bunch. My son has a Crickett and it shoots fine. I set it up with an inexpensive Tasco Red Dot and it is still very light.

The CZ455 Scout looks like a very nice option for an older small child. It weighs around 5 pounds and cost more than the other rifles mentioned above.

There are aftermarket youth sized stocks for the 10/22. When a child gets bigger they can swap the stock back to the original one. I have never actually seen one and I would image this configuration would be heavy for a smaller child unless being shot from a bench.

Blanket
08-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Ruger American 22

LAGS
08-14-2017, 06:33 PM
I have found several .22 single shots at Pawn Shops or the LGS for very reasonable prices recently that I bought to test out the .22 RF reloads I was tinkering with.
Got a almost New Springfield 15 for less than $75.00 that is perfect for a kid.
Remember, the grandkids, once they learn to shoot and learn safety, will outgrow any rifle you buy them, in Both size and in function in a very short time.
And if you are skilled, you can pick up some well worn But functional .22's at yard sales for a song.
Then you can customize it for them, and add thet personal touch.

Wayne Smith
08-14-2017, 07:07 PM
If you can afford it the little Browning Auto is a nice rifle that basically has a kid's stock on it anyway. The one that loads through the stock.

DerekP Houston
08-14-2017, 07:39 PM
i got lucky I think, my little boy is growing like a weed, we've restored a glenfield mod 60 for him that he found at my papas. Every time he peeks in the safe he mentions its 'his gun'

fecmech
08-14-2017, 08:24 PM
Henry makes a neat little 16" lever .22 with a youth stock on it, I've got the adult length stock on mine and it's a real fun accurate rifle.

Bzcraig
08-14-2017, 10:55 PM
Since you reload, I'd go a different direction than the rimfires mentioned above. The Ruger American Ranch in .223 can be loaded just about any way you want and be practical through adulthood.

rking22
08-15-2017, 08:09 PM
It depends on their size. Little ones like 5 to6 years old find a Cricket, they shoot very well. Come with a peep sight and manual cocking, great rifle to learn fundamentals and it will fit them. If they are bigger, 5feet or soo then Winchester 67 or similar. I would go open sights and single shot for their first rifle. Buy used, don't be afraid to cut the stock to fit. Above all, teach them well and ENJOY, FUN !¡!!!

LAGS
08-15-2017, 10:36 PM
rking22 is right about the Winchester 67 or 67A for young ones around 9 or 10.
A friend gave me a 67A that didn't work, and I liked it so much I picked up a 1930's 67 Youth model in good condition for around $50.00.
Both rifles will be going hunting with me this fall.

Rhou45
08-17-2017, 12:42 PM
When my son was around 7 or 8 I bought him a ruger 10/22 with the youth wooden stock and shorter barrel on it. It fit him, but when I tried passing it to my daughter she was still too small for that stock. I found a blackhawk replacement stock with a collapsible butt and installed it. WOW! The rifle can now go from about a 9 inch for small kids to adult size for me. The weight of the rifle with scope is around 3 pounds now. Light, compact, versatile, and accurate. Well worth looking into.