PDA

View Full Version : Gold sight insert for revolver?

wonderwolf
08-01-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm a Hardcore revolver guy. I ♥ my S&W .44 mags and I shoot them a lot. Though a few discusions with some friends on that red front sight on the S&W leave something to be desired on a really bright sunny day. When I read "unintended consequences" by John Ross he mentions that Henry Bowman uses a Gold insert in the front sight of his S&W 29 as well.

I have several rifles I have very Shiny BRASS front pegs on but not GOLD. I'm wondering just how well Gold would work as a insert into the front sight of A S&W revolver. Not trying to pimp it out or anything, just trying to find something that works a little better than that red plastic insert.

deltaenterprizes
08-01-2008, 07:26 PM
I always thought the "gold" front sights were just polished brass. If you want a gold front sight take a brass one to a jewler and have him electroplate it.

leftiye
08-01-2008, 08:38 PM
I like white mucho better. Ivory, or bone micarta with a black line up the middle. The white sight appears black against a bright target, and against a dark target it can still be seen when a darker colored sight cannot be seen. Teamed with a white outline rear sight it holds much tighter than a plain or red sight (with the line in the middle). I've got a Millett rear sight on my .327 K-frame. It has a vertical centered line below the notch, and I put a black line down the middle of that too. Super sight picture!

waksupi
08-01-2008, 08:56 PM
One of the guys at work put a wart hog ivory bead on a DGR this week. One of the most visible sights I have ever tried, and I do remember it being mentioned in old African hunting journals.

First thing ya gotta do, is catch yourself a wart hog.....

Willbird
08-01-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm a Hardcore revolver guy. I ♥ my S&W .44 mags and I shoot them a lot. Though a few discusions with some friends on that red front sight on the S&W leave something to be desired on a really bright sunny day. When I read "unintended consequences" by John Ross he mentions that Henry Bowman uses a Gold insert in the front sight of his S&W 29 as well.

I have several rifles I have very Shiny BRASS front pegs on but not GOLD. I'm wondering just how well Gold would work as a insert into the front sight of A S&W revolver. Not trying to pimp it out or anything, just trying to find something that works a little better than that red plastic insert.

Elmer Keith as far as I know was the first to claim the use of a gold insert that gave a reference point for how much front sight to hold above the rear sight....Henry of course exchanged mail with Elmer and actually got to shoot with him at least once :-).

Bill

Murphy
08-02-2008, 01:02 AM
wonderwolf,

I've despised that infernal red ramp on S&W's for 30 years now.

A study I read about long ago back in the 80's in Combat Handguns confirmed my feelings about it. The study was done by an opthamologist using several shooters. RED was the slowest color of all for them to pick up quickly.

Just this past March I had a nice long discussion with a retired solder from Ft. Benning Ga. The mans name is Bill Snow. He built many guns for the AMU team over the years and discovered first hand that RED was a major no no also.

As for a gold front sight. I'm not sure, but I 'think' it was Ed McGivern who first came up with that concept. I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of McGiverns guns that did not carry a gold bead front sight (Handguns).

Only in the past decade does the gold bead front sight on a handgun seem to be making a major comeback. S&W offer's them in the custom shop. Or if you haven't already looked, just check Gunbroker.com for a JM 625 S&W and you'll see the current version of Ed's gold bead.

Thanks,

Murphy

Dave Berryhill
08-02-2008, 09:18 AM
http://www.sdmfabricating.com/Gold%20Bead.htm
Scott makes gold bead sights for 1911s and S&W revolvers. He also sells the gold bead inserts which he makes from gold wire. The advantage of gold over brass is that brass will oxidize and gold will not. Brass will work but you'll need to shine it up periodically.

Willbird
08-02-2008, 07:26 PM
wonderwolf,

I've despised that infernal red ramp on S&W's for 30 years now.

A study I read about long ago back in the 80's in Combat Handguns confirmed my feelings about it. The study was done by an opthamologist using several shooters. RED was the slowest color of all for them to pick up quickly.

Just this past March I had a nice long discussion with a retired solder from Ft. Benning Ga. The mans name is Bill Snow. He built many guns for the AMU team over the years and discovered first hand that RED was a major no no also.

As for a gold front sight. I'm not sure, but I 'think' it was Ed McGivern who first came up with that concept. I don't recall ever seeing any pictures of McGiverns guns that did not carry a gold bead front sight (Handguns).

Only in the past decade does the gold bead front sight on a handgun seem to be making a major comeback. S&W offer's them in the custom shop. Or if you haven't already looked, just check Gunbroker.com for a JM 625 S&W and you'll see the current version of Ed's gold bead.

Thanks,

Murphy

Elmer had a gold insert in his (could have been Ed but I'm still thinking Elmer) that the BOTTOM edge of the insert was held level with the top of the rear sight blade for long range shooting.

Bill

uncle joe
08-02-2008, 07:41 PM

Thanks,

Murphy

I thinky your right Marc
I have read that Ed loved the gold bead for his revolvers. The small bead front sight is the most accurate and fast to line up that I have on any of my guns, don't know why more current versions don't have them.
To old school I guess.
JE

HABCAN
08-02-2008, 09:24 PM
Fast and cheap trial for a 'gold' front sight: Affix a drop of silver solder to the blade, file to shape desired and cold-blue it. Voila! A 'Gold Bead'! And if it does NOT suit your fancy, knock it off (or file if necessary) and you are back to square one. Hacksaw a few 'bars' into a sight, touch with silver solder, shape, and cold-blue. Voila! 'Gold Bars'!

I tried both years ago and QUICKLY went back to S&W RED which suits ME perfectly. YMMV.

EMC45
08-02-2008, 09:35 PM
That's actually what Elmer had in his revolver sight. Gold bars that denoted different ranges, and how he had to hold on an object.

wonderwolf
08-02-2008, 09:42 PM
Fast and cheap trial for a 'gold' front sight: Affix a drop of silver solder to the blade, file to shape desired and cold-blue it. Voila! A 'Gold Bead'! And if it does NOT suit your fancy, knock it off (or file if necessary) and you are back to square one. Hacksaw a few 'bars' into a sight, touch with silver solder, shape, and cold-blue. Voila! 'Gold Bars'!

I tried both years ago and QUICKLY went back to S&W RED which suits ME perfectly. YMMV.

I'm somewhat confused by this process?

imashooter2
08-02-2008, 11:04 PM
If your revolver has the integral front sight then replacing the red ramp with gold will require machine work. If you have a pinned sight, the SDM unit is top notch.