PDA

View Full Version : Chiang kai-shek mauser

Scotty
11-14-2005, 09:03 PM
I,m in the process of geting a Chiang Kai-Shek mauser in 7.92x57mm , and im wondering if anyone has tryed cast bullets in them since some of them were made out of railroad tracks and might not handle heavy loads.

Scotty,:)

Buckshot
11-14-2005, 11:09 PM
I,m in the process of geting a Chiang Kai-Shek mauser in 7.92x57mm , and im wondering if anyone has tryed cast bullets in them since some of them were made out of railroad tracks and might not handle heavy loads.

On the other hand, some of them were actually quite well made. You'll have to see when you get it.

BTW, RR iron is actually much higher pedigree steel then Mausers were made of, even in Germany. They used a good quality, but depended upon selective heat treat to get where they were going.

.................Buckshot

Scotty
11-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Yeah the afgans made tons of gun out of rails , no wonder trains fall off the track over there..lol I read on the web that most made before the japanese invaded in 1937 were ok, but when the factories had to moved because the city was geting over run who knows what they had for steel...one source said that they sent ppl out to pull up rails or get anything iron.

Ricochet
12-26-2005, 03:24 AM
If you read Hatcher's Notebook, he had steel analyses done of a number of military rifles from various nations. The German Mausers Gew 98 were said to have bolts and receivers made of plain carbon steel similar to SAE No. 1035, which has carbon .30% to .40% and manganese .60% to .90%. He has extensive information on the alloys and heat treatments for U.S. service weapons from the Krag through the WWII era.

newfoundlander
07-14-2007, 11:06 PM
There were plenty of these sold off when Century went tits-up here back in the mid-90's and they were a mixed bag to say the least. Most of these were parts guns sold without bolts. Some friends of mine had a helluva time trying to get a bolt that headspaced even close to either side of the margins so check yours VERY carefully!

milsurpcollector1970
08-05-2007, 12:53 PM
There are 2 types of mausers that have chinese markings, ones that were made for china in germany and ones that were made in china. The chinese ones will sometimes have incorrect markings on the receiver siderail (misspelled words etc) Robert Ball's book Mauser military rifles has several pictures of these counterfiet mausers. Its probably not a good idea to shoot one of these fake mausers at all

racepres
08-07-2007, 08:25 PM
There are 2 types of mausers that have chinese markings, ones that were made for china in germany and ones that were made in china. The chinese ones will sometimes have incorrect markings on the receiver siderail (misspelled words etc) Robert Ball's book Mauser military rifles has several pictures of these counterfiet mausers. Its probably not a good idea to shoot one of these fake mausers at all

The czech's made some for them also.. generally vz-24's marked 1937 on the "ring". MV