PDA

View Full Version : Randyrats PC Powder

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-13-2017, 12:03 AM
This afternoon I had a chance to powder coat some boolits with some of Randy's metallic grey and white powders. My normal method for PCing has been the airsoft BB dry tumble method. I would then pick each and every boolit out of the powder with modified tweezers and set them standing upright on nonstick AL foil. This took FOREVER!

So I decided to try a somewhat newer method of powdercoating. I threw some of Randy's powder in a Tupperware container, threw in some boolits, shook them for about a minute, dumped them on a wire mesh tray, shook off excess powder, and put them right in the oven at 400 for 20 minutes. NO BBs, NO plucking them out one by one, NO standing them up, NO worrying about them touching. WOW! Was I glad I did. Here are a few pics. They turned out great!

Here are the bullets after shaking off excess powder.

Getting ready to go in the oven

Coated boolits in a fraction of the time!

Bzcraig
08-13-2017, 12:44 AM
I've read about this method a couple of times now, I need to try it.

Lloyd Smale
08-13-2017, 07:18 AM
I went from tumbling in a shedds spread container with air soft bbs to using a vibrating tumbler with air soft to swithing to buckshop for bbs and standing them up neatly. Found it works just as good to just put them in the tumbler with no bbs of any kind tumbling for about a half hour sifting the extra paint out of it with a colander and just dumping them on the baking pan and baking them.

kbstenberg
08-13-2017, 08:32 AM
I see this as just the evolution in a new process. Learning as you go.

Walter Laich
08-13-2017, 08:42 AM
have gone to this method and so far really like it for ease of use

I do make sure to move the bullets around once they come out of the oven to break apart any that have stuck together. Once they cool off it takes a lot more effort

Also don't have them piled atop each other for same reason.

made my own mesh baskets out of some pizza screens I found at wally world. custom fit for my toaster oven

jmort
08-13-2017, 08:45 AM
Seems to be a trend or the trend
The direction
No plastic BBs
No anal anything
This is the direction I am going
Even two coats would be easier than the wet mess that is Hi Tek
But I think one coat will suffice
PC rocks

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
08-13-2017, 08:51 AM
Yes i am thrilled this works. I did forget to mention, and thanks Walter for mentioning, that when they do come out of the oven I do tip the rack over and move them around with a gloved hand. They surprisingly dont stick together.

randyrat
08-13-2017, 06:03 PM
Thank you! Thank you!
For testing those 2 powders out
I now have
45 lbs of white
30-40 lbs of Silver metallic
10 lbs of Dark silver metallic
All proven to work!

igolfat8
08-13-2017, 08:36 PM
I really like Randy's dark silver PC paint. It flows out so nice and it's easy to apply. However, I have noticed though that it smokes a great deal more than Smoke's powder paint or HiTek paint when shooting from my pistols. That's not a big deal to me when shooting outdoors but I may have to change it up this winter when shooting indoors.

runfiverun
08-14-2017, 10:11 PM
what powder are you loading them on top of?

igolfat8
08-15-2017, 06:27 PM
WSF, TG, N320, HS6, Clays and Unique. All of them smoke like a freight train burning coal. It's a lot worse than shooting lead coated with Allox. A buddy of mine is using this paint too and his pistol is doing the same thing so I know it's not limited to me. I don't think the powder is attacking the paint because we are shooting just a few hours after loading.

randyrat
08-24-2017, 09:01 AM
Anybody else having this problem?
Is it cooking time?
Is there other factors involved?
Could there be a difference in cook time because it is Metallic?

My in box is open again, it was full

Wasalmonslayer
08-27-2017, 10:49 PM
I am using Randy's dark grey with hp38, unique, bullseye, hs6, and smoke is way down almost non existent compared to regular lube.
I am powder coating everything now and love it!!!
Not going back to regular wax lube for pistol unless they quit making powder coat :drinks:

ROCKET
08-28-2017, 02:32 AM
Tagged

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

runfiverun
08-28-2017, 03:10 AM
the only powders I'm aware of that attack powder coat is titegroup and longshot.
there might be others [shrug] that I don't know of, but I haven't seen any of the Alliant powders do it.

I have seen jacketed bullets blow smoke out but that is generally because of blow-by,
I'm wondering if it isn't the case here also.