PDA

View Full Version : Loading the 7.62 X 54R problem

AzShooter
07-31-2008, 11:31 PM
I finally got around to slugging the bore on my 4 shooting Mosin Nagants. One is going to stay a wall hanger because it is just perfect the way it is and I don't want to play with it.

Each of the Nagants mikes out to be .314. Luckily I have a LEE mould for the .30 cal that comes out of the mould at .314 and I size it on my Star at .313 with a gas check.

I'm using Wheel Weights. Would I be better off using soft lead so that it would bump up while in the barrel?

Does anyone else make a mould that would be better than the 155. ( I comes out at 160 grains.

I'm keeping the loads mild at 15 grains of 2400 and will experiment a little with that.

mike in co
08-01-2008, 01:10 AM
may i suggest you use a 314 or 315 sizer. you do not want a bullet smaller than the bore.

yes there is a 314299 amoung others....

mike in co

JeffinNZ
08-01-2008, 05:16 AM
I agree; don't size them in the .313, run them as cast and just use the mouth of the .313 die to seat the gas check.

Regarding the 'softer' alloy question; clip on wheel weight is relatively soft. It will likely be only 10-12 BHN tops so will slug up.

Ideally you probably want a bullet of .316. There have been some group buys of 'fat' and 'fatter' .30cal bullets. Other members may be able to help you more on that topic.

dromia
08-01-2008, 07:47 AM
As has been said I'd lube and load as cast.

WW should bump up some.

If it's still undersize, 2 thou over groove diameter is usually good then you could try beagling the mould.

You need to shoot and find out. :-D

Buckshot
08-02-2008, 03:19 AM
............Loading with smokless sufficient to upset the slug is a good deal if the barrel is in good enough shape to hold the slug. My suggestions lay with the others. If you have a .314" groove, best to find the throat OD and size a thousandth under that, but at a minimum size .314". Be sure your .314" die is sizing .314".

................Buckshot

Bret4207
08-02-2008, 08:42 AM
Don't size them down, just tumble lube and try them. Sizing smaller than bore size is almost sure to give leading and inaccuracy. A boolit 2-3 thousands over will still shoot fine, one 2-3 thousands smaller won't.

Maven
08-02-2008, 08:46 AM
AZshooter, You have a few options here: 1) Shoot them as cast as Jeff in NZ suggested. 2) "Beagle" the mold (look in Cast Pics or our archives for instructions). 3) Look for a custom mold since it's not likely that you'll find many off-the-shelf molds that cast >.315". If you choose the last mentioned route, search for Cast Bullet Engineering/Jim Allison in NSW, Australia, as he makes wonderful, oversized molds. Jeff in NZ, Smokem Joe, Vly, and I* can vouch for his workmanship.

*I had a similar problem with a 7.65 x 53mm Arg. Mau. that no commercial molds fit. CBE made a "fat" Loverin for me that is superbly accurate in that rifle and a 7.62 x 54R (Finn. Nagant M 28/30) as well.

JeffinNZ
08-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Maven is quite correct about CBE. I was going to mention it but I was in fear of sounding like a broken record and even MORE bias than I am. [smilie=1::-D

AzShooter
08-06-2008, 06:09 PM
Well, my Lee 160 grn comes out of the mould at .314 and is doing real well at 100 yards with 16 grains of 2400 it keeps them into 2 - 2 1/2 inches. I know I should be able to do better.

I just ordered a mold from Ranch Dog that casts .315. It's a 6 banger mold but not all come out at the same size so I must be doing something wrong with my timing while trying to fill all 6 cavities. I'll stay with this mold for a bit and segregate them into 1 grain increments and shoot them. Since some are oversize I'm sizing them instead of shooting them as cast.

The 160 Lees are doing good but next I'll try to not size them and see if things improve.

Thanks for all the help.

Ben Dover
08-07-2008, 01:14 AM
When I had a Moisin 28/30 I was fortunate that it would shoot the Saeco 301 and Lyman 314299 without modification. 20gr of Accurate 1680 shot well in it. I used lg pistol primers. Ben

Ricochet
08-07-2008, 10:50 PM
Regarding 6 cavity moulds throwing inconsistent diameters, I found my problem was holding the sprue plate handle and squeezing it together with the mould block handles. Makes the mould blocks spring open slightly at the far end from the handles. Can make boolits that are way too fat from the far end cavities, even with fins on them. The ones from the cavities closer to you will be smaller. Close the sprue plate and TAKE YOUR HAND OFF ITS HANDLE as you squeeze the blocks together to cast.

Buckshot
08-08-2008, 01:17 AM
Maven is quite correct about CBE. I was going to mention it but I was in fear of sounding like a broken record and even MORE bias than I am. [smilie=1::-D

..............If someone is doing a good job we can all benefit from, repeat away :-)

..............Buckshot

dromia
08-08-2008, 10:44 AM

So whats this CBE thing then? :-D :kidding::-D