PDA

View Full Version : Lee 475 top punch?

mellonhead
07-31-2008, 11:23 PM
I need a top punch for a 475-400-rf Lee mold. Whats everyone using? I'm new to casting and just found this site. Lots of stuff to learn. Thanks.

Toby

Boerrancher
08-01-2008, 08:08 AM
If you can't find the right sized top punch, you can always make one from any old top punch and some JB Weld or Bondo body putty. Rough up the end of the punch a bit with some sand paper. Then place the punch in your sizer with a small glop of the putty in the punch. Place a boolit in the sizer and gently let the nose punch come down on the nose of the boolit. It also helps to lightly coat the nose of the boolit in vassoline or some other release agent. After a few hours once the putty starts to set up but before in reaches maximum hardness remove the boolit and let the punch finish hardening. You now have a nose punch for that nose design. If you ever want to go back just chip off the epoxy putty and you have your old nose punch back.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

mellonhead
08-02-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Toby

mooman76
08-02-2008, 02:17 PM
I would think any flat top punch would work as long as it was at least as big as the flat nose of your bullet!

John Boy
08-03-2008, 03:41 PM
Hoby - take some heavy aluminum foil and fold it over to a square. Put some lube on one side - other side on top of the bullet. Drop the handle: lube sticks to the punch you already have in ... instant top punch