PDA

View Full Version : A S&W 25-5/25-2 story

oldhenry
08-09-2017, 10:03 PM
S&W introduced (re-introduced?) the 25-5 in the '80s & the 1st. one that I saw was an 8 3/8" model. If you will recall they all came in wood presentation boxes. It looks so good that I would have bought in any bbl. length.........I think I paid $279 for it (anyway, less than $300.). I loved that gun & believe it or not shot IPSC with it(Safariland shoulder holster & Safariland speed loaders). Those Lyman #452374s speed loaded just fine. It was a killer on bowling pins with Lyman #452424s over 8.5 gr. of Unique.

Later I added a 6" and a 4". The 4" then became my IPSC gun. I know it would be sacrilege to the S&W purist, but I converted it to round butt & added Pachmyr compacts (I know they aren't as pretty as wood, but: they work). The "target trigger' got a smooth surface & re-contoured to a paddle configuration & the right side was slimmer than the left. I did the trigger job in stages & it was absolutely the smoothest, best handling gun I've ever owned. Even when everyone went to their scopes & race guns (how practical is that), I was having more fun than anyone with that 4" 25-5. I even chamfered & polished the chambers.......it was perfect.

The 8 3/8" went to my oldest son & I traded the 6" for a Garand (maybe I shouldn't have).

In 1990 2 punks broke into my house & took the 4" 25-5 from my bed side & took all of the guns that were not in my safe. The county police recovered everything except the 25-5 & a TC Hawken 50 cal.. The punks sold the 25-5 for $75.00 & it was never recovered.

I began a search for a replacement & found out that a 4" 25-5 is impossible to find. About 2 years later either Shotgun News, Gun List or Gun Digest (they all ran together) ran an add for the gun in the photos. It started out as a 25-2 and was converted by someone that really knew what they were doing. It now has a 4" 1955 bbl. & an extra cylinder assy. (extractor and all) in .45 Colt. They only thing I don't like about it is the Magna-port which is useless. The Magna-port may help on a longer bbl. of a higher velocity caliber, but on this gun only serves to blacken the front sight. Anyway, at $450.00 it was a deal.

It is not yet the gun that was stolen, but hopefully will get there and to be honest shortly thereafter I began shooting NRA High Power & handguns took a back seat until '08 and then restoring motorcycles became a priority. Now restoring motorcycles & shooting handguns (mostly revolvers) are on equal footing.

Here are the photos. I guess technically it's a 25-2, but to me it's a 25-5 with an extra cylinder assy. in ACP.

Henry

__________________________________________________ _________________________
A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder..........anything else is just a game

dubber123
08-09-2017, 10:20 PM
That's a slick looking revolver :) I would change very little on it, and it was a bargain at that price, I hope you enjoy it almost as much as the one you lost.

RKJ
08-10-2017, 08:22 AM
I agree with all that dubber123 said, that is a sweet smith. The only thing I'd change is those grips. :)

bluelund79
08-10-2017, 05:14 PM
That is a great looking Smith. Love the 2 cylinders. Color me jealous.

Uncle R.
08-10-2017, 05:55 PM
I agree with all that dubber123 said, that is a sweet smith. The only thing I'd change is those grips. :)

Agree.
Very nice. I love .45 N-frames.

I like Pachmayr Grippers on square butt N-frames. Before you modify the frame on such a nice gun I think you should try 'em.
Enjoy your revolver! May you shoot it well, and for many years.

Uncle R.

Drm50
08-10-2017, 08:46 PM
Very nice 25. I had gotten carried away with 29s, 27s and 57s when I was younger. It had to be
a magnum or I had very little interest in shooting them. I owned 25s & 24s but never gave them
much attention. The last 10 yrs I have done more Target Shooting than hunting and loaded up
WCs for the 25s and hardly shot the Magnums anymore. I liked the 83/8" m25-2 so well I took
it Deer Hunting and killed my 1st deer with 45 Colt with cast WC. It appeared to be just as dead
as any I shot with Magnums. I did trade off my 4" NIB because I don't like short barrels. The 5"
to 61/2" guns are perfect for me. I also had to have all my S&Ws with 83/8" barrels, but started
trading them off when I found I could shoot 6" just as well. Still have one of each in 83/8 but have
several in 6".201643

oldhenry
08-10-2017, 09:12 PM
Very nice 25. I had gotten carried away with 29s, 27s and 57s when I was younger. It had to be
a magnum or I had very little interest in shooting them. I owned 25s & 24s but never gave them
much attention. The last 10 yrs I have done more Target Shooting than hunting and loaded up
WCs for the 25s and hardly shot the Magnums anymore. I liked the 83/8" m25-2 so well I took
it Deer Hunting and killed my 1st deer with 45 Colt with cast WC. It appeared to be just as dead
as any I shot with Magnums. I did trade off my 4" NIB because I don't like short barrels. The 5"
to 61/2" guns are perfect for me. I also had to have all my S&Ws with 83/8" barrels, but started
trading them off when I found I could shoot 6" just as well. Still have one of each in 83/8 but have
several in 6".201643

A very nice trio of N frame Smiths.

Henry

Treetop
08-10-2017, 10:00 PM
oldhenry, I bought my S&W 25-2 NIB in the late 70s. Several years later, I found a model 27 cylinder and crane assembly at a local gun show. At that time, we had a local gunsmith that specialized in converting model 27 cylinders to .44 Special or .45 Colt. He converted mine and it's a shooter!

Due to the short 25-2 cylinder length, I have to watch the COAL when loading the .45 Colt and then using less powder due to diminished case volume but it still shoots 454424s around 900 fps safely.
I limit myself to 25 yards maximum when deer hunting with any handgun so I have no need to drive a bullet, er boolit, any faster. Treetop

Edit To Add: Just make sure you have the correct ammo and cylinder with you before you leave for the range! Don't ask...:(

oldhenry
08-11-2017, 09:32 AM
oldhenry, I bought my S&W 25-2 NIB in the late 70s. Several years later, I found a model 27 cylinder and crane assembly at a local gun show. At that time, we had a local gunsmith that specialized in converting model 27 cylinders to .44 Special or .45 Colt. He converted mine and it's a shooter!

Due to the short 25-2 cylinder length, I have to watch the COAL when loading the .45 Colt and then using less powder due to diminished case volume but it still shoots 454424s around 900 fps safely.
I limit myself to 25 yards maximum when deer hunting with any handgun so I have no need to drive a bullet, er boolit, any faster. Treetop

Edit To Add: Just make sure you have the correct ammo and cylinder with you before you leave for the range! Don't ask...:(

Treetop, an interesting story. I wish I knew the details of the conversion on my gun.

Actually I've never tried my 454424 or 452424 in this gun. For the main part I've been shooting the 452488 & 452374 in both cylinders. I recently acquired an Accurate 45-250F & an Arsenal 230RF & feel they will be perfect for either ACP or Colt (they'll speed load well + will pack a punch).

__________________________________________________ ____________________
A real sport involves either gasoline or gun powder...........anything else is just a game

Henry

rintinglen
08-11-2017, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't change a thing on that gun. It would look mighty fine on the bench in front of me at the range.

arlon
08-11-2017, 07:59 PM
Nice. I have an uncut 1955 Target. I agree the shorter barrel would be handier but I'm sure not cutting it down either! (-:}